blood pressure ?s (Read 954 times)

and a little interesting factoid I found out about during a recent stress test....your blood pressure (at least mine) takes off during excercise. I was pushing a little over 200 on the top end towards the end of the test. It may remain slightly elavated after stopping excercise so taking the BP right after may lead to false indications too. I am on bp meds and I was actually able to at least cut mine in half after losing some weight and getting excercise. BP tends to go up with age which may be why once you go on the meds, you can't ever get off....... I am not a real doctor either....

Just Be

and a little interesting factoid I found out about during a recent stress test....your blood pressure (at least mine) takes off during excercise. I was pushing a little over 200 on the top end towards the end of the test. It may remain slightly elavated after stopping excercise so taking the BP right after may lead to false indications too. I am on bp meds and I was actually able to at least cut mine in half after losing some weight and getting excercise. BP tends to go up with age which may be why once you go on the meds, you can't ever get off....... I am not a real doctor either....
      Systolic should increase linearly with exercise intensity - readings of up to 220mmHg at maximum exertion are not uncommon. Diastolic should not increase or decrease by more than 15 from your normal base average reading - if it does, there's a problem.
        I didn't mean to sound like I was trying to say to disregard the pharmacy BP machine because it may be wrong. I wanted to imply that it was probably more important to go the doctor for an accurate assesment. I have had hypertension since I was 30 and have been on meds since. I'll sometimes get wildly inaccurate readings from the grocery store BP machines. After those readings I take it at home for a more accurate reading. When I see it is starting to creep up, I'm off to the doctor. So what I was trying to say is that the 140/90 reading you got on the machine may not be right. It could be higher...it could be lower. Which ever one it is, I was trying to say to get to your doctor for an accurate assesment.
          I wouldn't get to worked up about machines at drug stores, they aren't that accurate and even digital machines can be somewhat off, you need to get the kind with the a pump up and a stethoscope; machines are only so good but they vary greatly, they will give you a general reading which can be a good sign that you may be stressed out but its like running shoes there is good but there is better.
          Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Recently covered...store blood pressure machines may be and often are very accurate.

Just Be

When your blood pressure is taken you should have already been sitting still for at least 5 minutes and the part of your arm where the cuff squeezes needs to be raised to the same vertical level as your heart, preferably in a horizontal orientation. I've seen nurses on several occasions take blood pressure immediately after walking the patent to their room and sitting them down... make sure your nurse or doc uses the proper protocol to take your bp or you might as well be doing it yourself! Also, all bp measuring devices are prone to mechanical drift and need calibration. Depending on the mechanisim some need it more often than others - especially if they are mercury based like those used in many GP offices. It might be a good idea to ask your doc how often their equipment receives calibration. Ideally there should be a calibration chart present that you can look at yourself to find the answer while waiting on your doc to enter the room, but life isn't always that perfect. Tongue
                You should get it checked by your doctor. I don't always trust the machines at the pharmacist, but it could be close to accurate. * Normal: Less than 120/80 * Prehypertension: 120-139/80-89 * Stage 1 hypertension: 140-159/90-99 * Stage 2 hypertension: 160 and above/100 and above
                So 138/58 is weird then?