Backpack Recommendation (Read 172 times)

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

What are some smaller non-hydration backpacks that would be fairly comfortable for running?

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Depends, what will you be putting in it?

I find hydration packs with the bladder removed are great.

Ultimate Direction Hardrocker is sold without bottles or a bladder, which probably shaves about $60 off the total cost. Running vests have come a long way in the past 15 years, but I still would not use one for runs or races under 4 hours.

It all depends on how much space you need. 4+ hours, you can imagine packing food, gels, maybe an emergency jacket, gloves, hat, cellphone, toilet paper, etc. Less than that, a waist pack is a much better option. The weight, such as it is, sits lower; you can access pockets without stopping, and it is much less claustrophobic. Major purveyors of gear (UD, Nathan, Amphipod, REI) have great options for non-hydration waist packs.

Best Present Ever

If you're just looking for a small backpack, I have a 10 liter Osprey pack I use a lot. It is intended for use as a hydration pack, but I use it for dayhikes a lot, without the hydration bladder unless it's super hot. I also use it as a hydration pack when I'm trail running. I especially appreciate when it's cold and I want to carry extra layers.

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Thanks for the info.  I will give these a try at the LRS.

Fruchtenstein

Asics Lightweight running backpack, 10 liter. Use it every day to run to/from work. Belt pockets are too small and located too far, it's hard using them when you wear the backpack. Otherwise, pretty good: waterproof, really lightweight, fits well.

Best Present Ever

Thanks for the info.  I will give these a try at the LRS.

Maybe your LRS is different, but mine doesn't stock too many backpacks. I found mine at an outdoor store which had a big selection of trail running packs.

Joann Y

Deuter Speed Lite 10 if it's still around. That's what I have.

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Maybe your LRS is different, but mine doesn't stock too many backpacks. I found mine at an outdoor store which had a big selection of trail running packs.

LL Bean or REI?

Best Present Ever

LL Bean or REI?

Nope. A small local chain.

Ostrich runner

I can't stand waist packs. I've had a couple, and they're horrible. I like the REI Flash 18, which might be a little bigger than you want. I strung a bungee through the loops on the back that can be used to both carry extra gear and to compress the pack smaller. I'm able to do a summer overnight with only it. If you're walking quickly, you can always just undo the sternum strap on a pack (but leave the waist strap), spin it around to the front, and eat while you're still moving.

http://www.runningahead.com/groups/Indy/forum

xhristopher

I've probably run a couple thousand miles with my REI Stoke 19 pack. Sadly it appears to be discontinued. If anyone finds em for sale let me know. I need to stock up.

seeEricaRun

Awesome

I can't stand waist packs. I've had a couple, and they're horrible. I like the REI Flash 18, which might be a little bigger than you want.

God I love this backpack. They fit all the things and they weigh like a feather.

Daniel_swe

Hi,

I have a perfect suggestion for you. Around 3 months ago, I purchased a backpack online which is called Iamrunbox. It has a hard shell and it keeps your clothes completely crease free and it is very compact. Thay have two diffferent sizes respectively 8 and 10 liters, I have the pro version (bigger). It is great for run-commuting and cycle-commuting. They also have garment carriers, one of my colleagues purchased that one on Amazon.

Here are the links,

https://iamrunbox.com/en/backpack/3-backpack-lite.html#/color-orange

https://iamrunbox.com/en/garment-carrier/1-garment-carrier-singlepack.html#/color-orange

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Hi,

I have a perfect suggestion for you. Around 3 months ago, I purchased a backpack online which is called Iamrunbox. It has a hard shell and it keeps your clothes completely crease free and it is very compact. Thay have two diffferent sizes respectively 8 and 10 liters, I have the pro version (bigger). It is great for run-commuting and cycle-commuting. They also have garment carriers, one of my colleagues purchased that one on Amazon.

Here are the links,

https://iamrunbox.com/en/backpack/3-backpack-lite.html#/color-orange

https://iamrunbox.com/en/garment-carrier/1-garment-carrier-singlepack.html#/color-orange

Nice.  I found a cheapo at Dick's that was just about the right size, so I'll give that a try.