2019 New York City Marathon Thread (Read 173 times)

Julia1971

Early July marks 18 weeks from the New York City Marathon!

Who's in?

Julia1971

I will be running this year but decided not to make it my goal race for the fall because I'm taking a long trip overseas this summer.  Instead, I'll probably aim for something in December or January.  I am excited, though, because I love going to the City and one of my BFFs from college is running it so it should be a fun weekend.

JMac11

RIP Milkman

I'm out this year (ran it in 15, 17, 18), but that means I can finally route for folks from my apartment on 1st Ave!

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

ScubaSteve

I am in for my 4th marathon.  I have done Chicago the past 3 years.

LRB

I am excited, though...

Indeed.

The NYCM will be my 6th marathon (7th attempt thanks to a DNF) and first time visiting the city.

Did someone say pizza?

Julia1971

So...  I'm starting to rethink my decision not to make NYCM my goal race.  I ran on the treadmill for six days straight so running on a hotel treadmill for 10 days might not be too bad.  Not the same as running outside, but I felt like they were pretty good workouts.  Plus, I'd like the automatic re-qualifier.  

ultramarathon/triathlete

I'm the 3:50 pacer this year.   This will be my 13th NYC and I've been pacing it each year since 2013.

Happy to give advice if anyone want some.

HTFU?  Why not!

USATF Coach

Empire Tri Club Coach
                Gatorade Endurance Team

John Wood

In for my first NYC, looking forward to it.

LRB

It has been suggested that the course video is must-see TV for anyone running their first NYCM, is that accurate? And which one would you watch, there are seemingly dozens of them.

Julia1971

It has been suggested that the course video is must-see TV for anyone running their first NYCM, is that accurate? And which one would you watch, there are seemingly dozens of them.

I have a link to one of the official course videos on my site.  My first reaction when I re-watched it is how different the course actually looks when you factor in all of the runners in front of you (particularly on the Verrano-Narrows) and lining the streets.  The only issue I tend to have with course videos is that I can't get a good sense for how steep the hilly parts are.  Otherwise, I tend to watch them over and over again before my race as mental preparation ("When you hit this part, you're going to feel terrible but that's okay.")

Julia1971

I see we can make poncho and transportation selections.  Any questions, first timers?

I will probably do poncho again but I might take the bus from NYPL for a change just to see what that's like.

LRB

I see we can make poncho and transportation selections.  Any questions, first timers?

I will probably do poncho again but I might take the bus from NYPL for a change just to see what that's like.

I went poncho and 6:00 am bus. I had originally planned to take the ferry since it sounded so cool and room in the financial district. But upon further review, decided I'd rather be closer to the finish post-race. So the ferry didn't make practical sense as my hotel is literally around the corner from the library.

Julia1971

I went poncho and 6:00 am bus. I had originally planned to take the ferry since it sounded so cool and room in the financial district. But upon further review, decided I'd rather be closer to the finish post-race. So the ferry didn't make practical sense as my hotel is literally around the corner from the library.

Sound choices.  I do like the ferry, though, and usually recommend it.  For me, part of the excitement of the race is being part of the mob making its way to the Ferry. But, as I get older, the idea of sitting on a soft bus seat the entire way sounds good, too. Smile

Paul C.

I ran it last year and I never watched the course video. I was fine. It's not like there's ever any doubt about where you're going. In a way, I feel like it's even more exciting not knowing what's coming up because you get to experience everything for the first time and it's fresh.

The only hills are the bridges, and a couple of short stretches through Central Park, so it's not like would've helped me plan. I'm not saying don't watch one, but saying it's a "must-see" is a bit of a stretch.

delicate flower

Question for this group:  I am not running 2019 and but am hoping to run 2020 with a qualifying time.  I've got a HM qualifying time from a non-NYRR race, and I know they give priority to NYRR event qualifiers.  Does anyone know how hard it is to get in with a non-NYRR race?  Does the field fill up?  I figure with 1 in 10 chance in the general lottery, I can't miss this opportunity with the qualifying time since I may never achieve that again.

<3