First time on a trail; quick advice please? (Read 817 times)

Dude...it sounds like you're over-striding and almost completely out-of-control on your descent. That's a situation that will lead to injury 100% of the time. Knees, ankles, hamstrings, hips...you're putting everything at risk in a steep, uncontrolled downhill run. I would take whatever pace you ran up the hill and come down the hill at an even slower pace. You might even consider jogging/walking down the hill backwards in places if the footing is good. Next time you go...slow down! Don't let your heart beat out of your chest (you're just ruining the rest of your week) on the way up and don't let your body get out-of-control on the way down.
    Oh, I know I needed to slow down. The problem was I couldn't figure out how. Remember this is the first time I've ever run a real downhill. I was surprised that no longer how small of steps I took it still seemed like I was coming down too fast. My turn over was ridiculous but everything I read said leaning back to slow down was really bad. So I just kept trying to take smaller steps. What I meant by my stride opening up was that once I got off the hill, my form seemed better and my stride was really effortless compared to my normal run. I think running on the hill helped in some way. So yeah, I totally agree that learning to slow down is important; I just can't figure out how. Surprisingly, my lungs were very relaxed on the way down especially compared to the constant breaks I needed going up and I have no pain at all this morning. I was really surprised since it felt to jaring last night. I am going to reread the downhill running chapter in my Chirunning book. And see if I can find any instructional youtube videos to watch. I can't wait till next week so I can try again.
    You may find my running Vlog at Run Cast TV and my running log here

Half Fanatic #846

You didn't mention slipping on loose rocks and dirt, but if you did - that points out the need for some trail shoes with an "aggressive" tread. I think you will notice the difference... Smile MTA: Also try some gaitors, or I've seen some people using bandanas to keep debris out of the shoes.

"I don't always roll a joint, but when I do, it's usually my ankle" - unk.         "Frankly autocorrect, I'm getting a bit tired of your shirt".                  I ran half my last race on my left foot!                                  

When I first started running, I was amazed that people could run up the hills around here (Boulder, CO).
        You aren't kidding!! Bad town to have any sort of ego in... Tongue - Chris
          You aren't kidding!! Bad town to have any sort of ego in... Tongue - Chris
          Hahahaha, Okay, the incline puts me to shame and I'm in Marin Co!
            You didn't mention slipping on loose rocks and dirt, but if you did - that points out the need for some trail shoes with an "aggressive" tread. I think you will notice the difference... Smile MTA: Also try some gaitors, or I've seen some people using bandanas to keep debris out of the shoes.
            I think I do need some trail shoes. I slipped around a bit but didn't fall down. I'm not sure what to look for in trail shoes and I know there aren't many made specifically for a woman's foot. I think I want something that will let my foot move kind of natural since my hiking boots killed my tendons on the incline just hiking.
              It depends on the trail...I like those Inov-8s too. I have the "Flyroc". They're genderless but fit pretty good and work well on the California type dirt/rock trails. Now I think they make women's models. However, it really depends upon your feet,type of terrain and stuff. My brother recently bought some New Balance mixed road/trail type shoes that he really likes. Go to the local running store and ask around. Your regular running shoe model may have a trail shoe model too that you can check out. I read about your downhill experience and it sounded exactly like my first one. Too funny. Hope things are going better now for ya. I don't really think you need to slow down on the downhills or take abnormally small steps. I think you need to be be more controlled in the stride and think of lighter steps. You are dancing down the hill as was already suggested. It is a balancing act. When you find the right cadence and stride, your muscles will absorb the loads and they will be distributed more evenly. Its so much fun then! If a segment is too steep don't feel bad about walking down it either. There is one "cut-through" trail that take sometimes -- less than a quarter mile of power hike, speed walk down or I'd be flat on my face. Wink
                Start slow, then slow down. I always tried to finish my runs with some uphills. I got away from that when I started running longer distances. I need to go back to it every so often. This should be fun--don't make it a chore. TC

"I'd rather die while I'm living than live while I'm dead..." J. Buffett There are two rules in life: 1.) Don't sweat the small stuff 2.) It's ALL small stuff