HR feedback for dummies (Read 85 times)

Wing

Joggaholic

So I got a new watch and it is dumping all these fancy pretty graphs. There are some terms I don't understand that I had to look up, specifically EPOC and R-R. I found some explanations of what they are, but I am still at a lost as to how do I actually use them?

For example, I got this from my run:

EPOC and R-R Graph

It basically says that I ran harder in the second half of the run. So now I stare at the graph and am just asking, now what? What do I do with this? What useful things is this telling me?

DaBurger

It is just another datapoint.

I got a GPS watch last year, and it came with a HRM, so I used it for a few runs.  Looking at the HRM data after long runs, interval workouts, etc, didn't tell me any really new information, it just reinforced the feedback that I was already getting on my runs, (I pushed this hill here, this section felt really relaxed, I just finished an interval, now I'm on my recovery jog etc.)

After running for 8 years without an HRM, it was kind of cool to see that the workouts I was doing were at the "right" HR zones, and that my workouts were pretty well designed from an interval vs recovery standpoint, but I don't think I saw something "new" that changed my training.

Know thyself.

DaBurger

One thing that comes to mind that can be useful, is as the seasons change or when you're running on an unseasonably hot/cold dry/humid weather or at higher/lower altitude, you can use the monitor to help gauge effort since your normal bio-feedback may be thrown off by the change in conditions.

Know thyself.

Wing

Joggaholic

Yes I agree, just like you said, even though I don't follow HR training, I can do some useful correlation, such as when I ran easy or hard, I can look at the data after the run and confirm that whether my "run by feel" was on the mark or way off. So in that sense I do find the HR zones/plots useful. However, for the EPOC/R-R, I don't even know what to make of them. I figured if Suunto bothered to put them into the watch, they've got to be of some use. It's most likely that I won't be training based on these variables, but for the sake of educating myself I would like to at least know how to read these graphs.

catwhoorg

Labrat

EPOC is Excess Post-exercise Oxygen consumption.

Aka the Afterburn, or an oxygen debt built up during the exercise.

R-R I have no idea.

5K  20:23  (Vdot 48.7)   9/9/17

10K  44:06  (Vdot 46.3)  3/11/17

HM 1:33:48 (Vdot 48.6) 11/11/17

FM 4:13:43 (Vdot 35.4) 3/4/18

I think R-R stands for recovery rate after the exercise. "Heart rate recovery was defined as the difference in heart rate between peak exercise and 1 minute later; a value ≤18 beats per minute was considered abnormal. "

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

You may be suffering from EIDO:  Exercise-Induced-Data-Overload.

SubDood

Based on the plot, my guess is that "R-R" is the interval between heart beats, measured in milliseconds. An R-R Interval of 1000 msec (1 second), for example, would be 1 beat per second, or 60 bpm.  An R-R Interval of 333 msec would be about 3 beats per second, or 180 bpm. It's basically like plotting the reciprocal of your HR.  (Kind of like the difference between plotting Speed and Pace ...)