Information is beautiful: Snake oil? (Read 159 times)

BeeRunB

My wife brought this link home today (in her link utility belt):

http://www.informationisbeautiful.net/play/snake-oil-supplements/

Looks at supplements and the research that supports the claims about them. Fun and interactive. I like it just for the bubbles.

Cool

Is it terrible that I was looking through the bubbles like, "cancer, ok, diabetes, fine, sleep, whatever, c'mon, where's beet juice, and does it prevent muscle cramps?!?"

BeeRunB

Double click the bubbles and it brings you to research! Oh, joy!

BeeRunB

Is it terrible that I was looking through the bubbles like, "cancer, ok, diabetes, fine, sleep, whatever, c'mon, where's beet juice, and does it prevent muscle cramps?!?"

Yes, it's terrible. Just awful.

Or maybe beet juice isn't considered a supplement, but a food with nutrients, and so is probably good for you. So it's not in the snake oil category. Unless of course someone ends up freeze-drying it, putting it in a pill, and claiming it's good for getting rid of sebaceous cysts.

Thanks. That's one of the most useful data visualizations I've seen in a while.

Feeling the growl again

So do you take fish oil to prevent colorectal cancer, or avoid it to reduce prostate cancer risk?

It's an interesting figure for sure (especially with the data links), but the data are a lot more complex.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Ya, interesting. This one has been floating around for some years. I wonder if the data underlying the visualizations have been updated with newer research.

May 2011?

There was a point in my life when I ran. Now, I just run.

We are always running for the thrill of it

Always pushing up the hill, searching for the thrill of it

ultramarathon/triathlete

... but the data are a lot more complex.

That impressed me.  Good on you, Spaniel.

HTFU?  Why not!

USATF Coach

Empire Tri Club Coach
                    Gatorade Endurance Team

mab411

Proboscis Colossus

So do you take fish oil to prevent colorectal cancer, or avoid it to reduce prostate cancer risk?

I use it to keep my fish from squeaking.  Seems to work, he swims completely silently now.

"God guides us on our journey, but careful with those feet." - David Lee Roth, of all people