DS Trainer 14 (Read 899 times)

Jeri from Houston

I am currently wear testing the DST 14 and find it to be like most DST's. It is an excellent trainer that weighs 10.5 oz in a Men's size 9. I have been told by a Store Owner that it fits like the DST 7. For me it isn't much different from the DST 11,12 or 13 so I would suggest you try it on. It has an outsole similar to the DST 7 but; is slightly heavier. I wear it and other DST's as a Daily shoe that is used on Concrete and Asphalt surfaces. Like the DST 13 is has asymmetrical lacing but; isn't a big factor. I have 85 miles on them at this time with only training not racing in my utilization
      Jeri, you obviously have a lot of experience with running shoes. I can't wait to try the DST 14. I do most of my running in 2130's (I've been through about 6 pair). I owned a pair of DST 12's (the European version which I bought in South Africa) and they were my favorite lightweight trainer and I ran a couple of marathons in them. I was greatly disappointed, however, with the DST 13's. First, they ran smaller than the other Asics shoes. I have always wore a size 11 (and have had more than a dozen Asics shoes that were 11's). I moved up to an 11.5 in the DS13 and it was still too small. After losing a couple of toenails, I retired them early and moved up to a 12. The 12's have still been too short. The shoes seem shorter and wider than other Asics shoes. It has been very frustrating. i am hoping Asics brings the sizing of the DST 14's more in line with their other shoes. The other interesting thing is that when you have to move up a whole size, the shoe is not as light weight as they claim. I would be interested in your thoughts.
      kcam

I am currently wear testing the DST 14 and find it to be like most DST's. It is an excellent trainer that weighs 10.5 oz in a Men's size 9. I have been told by a Store Owner that it fits like the DST 7. For me it isn't much different from the DST 11,12 or 13 so I would suggest you try it on. It has an outsole similar to the DST 7 but; is slightly heavier. I wear it and other DST's as a Daily shoe that is used on Concrete and Asphalt surfaces. Like the DST 13 is has asymmetrical lacing but; isn't a big factor. I have 85 miles on them at this time with only training not racing in my utilization
        10.5 oz in a size 9 is kinda heavy for the DST's (at least what they've claimed in the past). I train exclusively in DST's but I use whichever model I can find cheapest. Currently, I'm running in a pair of DST12's but I've had two pairs of 13's - can't tell the difference in them as they all feel the same - GREAT. For grins I just went out in the garage and weighed the right shoe of a pair of DS12's and DS13's, both size 9 1/2. Turns out the 12's weigh 10.3oz and the 13's weigh 10.5oz. I always thought these shoes were in the 9.5 oz range.
        RunAsics

The Limping Jogger

For me it isn't much different from the DST 11,12 or 13 so I would suggest you try it on.
          The 12 was a VERY different shoe to the 11. It was pretty crappy - way too stiff in the arch. The sizing was 1/2 to a full size shorter (perhaps to make the size 9 lighter?). The 13 was much better but still had the sizing issue. I expect the 14 to be the "correct" size again.
          10.5 oz in a size 9 is kinda heavy for the DST's (at least what they've claimed in the past). I train exclusively in DST's but I use whichever model I can find cheapest. Currently, I'm running in a pair of DST12's but I've had two pairs of 13's - can't tell the difference in them as they all feel the same - GREAT. For grins I just went out in the garage and weighed the right shoe of a pair of DS12's and DS13's, both size 9 1/2. Turns out the 12's weigh 10.3oz and the 13's weigh 10.5oz. I always thought these shoes were in the 9.5 oz range.
          The difference between the 12 and 13 is very noticable, at least to me. The arch in the 12 is the biggest difference. In general, I use the 13 as a day-to-day trainer and have run HM to marathon in them. For shorter races and speedwork I use the Gel Bandito. In the past, I used the DST11 as a speedwork/racing shoe. Loved that shoe. The 12 and 13 are too high in the heal and too much of a shoe for such activities, at least for me.

"Only a few more laps to go and then the action will begin, unless this is the action, which it is."

<threadjack> What would be the equivalent to the DS Trainer but without the medial post? Would it be the Hyperspeed? </threadjack>

Jeri from Houston

The Hyperspeed is a Racing Flat. Consider the Speed Star for a non posted ASICS lightweight shoel. I now have 102 mies on mine as of 1/13/09 and I like them better than at first. They fit better than the DST 12 I had but; it was OK. I have over 750 miles on them. Mine is a European version
              RunAsics

The Limping Jogger

"What would be the equivalent to the DS Trainer but without the medial post? Would it be the Hyperspeed?" The Speedstar, as noted, or the Gel Stratus.

"Only a few more laps to go and then the action will begin, unless this is the action, which it is."

kcam

FYI, telarun.com has the 14's for $94 free shipping. running warehouse has the 13's on closeout for $69, free shipping.