useful life of treadmill (Read 110 times)

All - Just lost second circuitboard on my Horizon CST 4.  Its just over 8 years old and at last check I was closing in on 3000 miles.  Why it goes down during cold snaps only (last time was in Jan. 2009 when we got below zero the day before it fried) is beyond me.

Anyway, I know with a new circuitboard I'm out a couple hundred.  Given the mileage on the machine and the fact that even with frequent lube/adjustment it was starting to catch, and I can't incline or fold the thing up for storage, I am hesitant to throw another couple hundred at it if its not going to last that long.  It does get dirty...if a dust particle wants to go anwhere it goes there....and I own a Siberian Husky who sheds constantly.

I'm 180-190 pounds and will put a treadmill through a workout, usually run 7-8MPH sometimes closer to 10 on the occasional interval.  I do use heavily...even more in the summer because above 80 degrees affects me much more than under 20.

Should I bother fixing?  Should I look at a new one?  (any recommendations for someone of my size and speed are helpful - I've used many treadmills that are total crap unless you're using it lightly like my wife at 120 lb never going above 6 MPH).  I'm looking for bang for the buck...I'm not gonna shell out 3-5K on a commercial machine.  Under 2K, lower if possible.

Until then I'm outside and I may say the hell with it, I ran through HS and college outside only and lived...

Given how much you use your TM, you may want to conside something like Landice. It is expensive... Something like $3000 but itcovers everything for life. While Landice inclues labor only for the first year, you can get the dealer to include 1-2 additional years of labor.

All this is true only if you buy it from a dealer as opposed to online. Other options would be a new precor or use commercial models. Some dealers sell used commercial models but you should look at the warrenty, if any.

running is somewhat like playing golf to me.   crappy shots all day long, ready to give it up & wondering why I'm trying so hard just to get this stupid little ball into a stupid little hole but then out of the blue comes a monster drive or a long putt that actually gets into the cup.  bingo! that one shot keeps me going for the rest of day no matter how crappy I continue to play & gets me back out again on another day.   strange. -- skyedog

If you don't like fixing your TM, don't buy a Sole.

Thanks for your thoughts, my friend the PT actually recommended a Sole  Big grin  but if its fragile it isn't for me.  Don't know much about Landis.  Kinda doing some low key shopping while giving it a few weeks.  I don't have the $$$ until I can get my hands on a tax refund anyway.

Mysecondnewname

Given how much you use your TM, you may want to conside something like Landice. It is expensive... Something like $3000 but itcovers everything for life. While Landice inclues labor only for the first year, you can get the dealer to include 1-2 additional years of labor.

All this is true only if you buy it from a dealer as opposed to online. Other options would be a new precor or use commercial models. Some dealers sell used commercial models but you should look at the warrenty, if any.

I would second the Landice recommendation.  I have an L7 and it has been worth every penny and more.   I finally burned out the motor after 7,000 miles (per the service menu), and Landice replaced the entire motor, treadmill belt, drive belt, and both rollers for free.  (I just had to cover installation costs).  I now have essentially the equivalent of a new treadmill and am set for at least the next several years.  They really do stand behind their lifetime warranty.

The one caveat to the warranty is that the free replacement of parts lasts only as long as they continue to make those parts.  However, I figure by the time I kill the second motor, I'll be ready for something new any way (A home AlterG? Big grin)

TJoseph

The AlterG looks like it simulates water running.  This one looks pretty cool if they can prefect it to the point you don't need a harness:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=msci440q18s

This looks like it has potential too:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NYsugJ-y2aI

Thanks for your thoughts, my friend the PT actually recommended a Sole  Big grin  but if its fragile it isn't for me.  Don't know much about Landis.  Kinda doing some low key shopping while giving it a few weeks.  I don't have the $$$ until I can get my hands on a tax refund anyway.

I think a Sole is fine for mostly walking, and it will handle a lot of weight, so it is probably good enough for a PT office. I beat on mine pretty hard, average 200 lbs @ 9 minutes miles, 391 hours, 2600 miles.  Most home TMs never see anywhere near that kind of usage. I'm on my second deck and belt, and spent a couple hours yesterday on cleaning and fine tuning.  The motor and frame will last forever, everything else is subject to wear and tear.

If I were to do it all over again, I'd scour craigslist for a lightly used Landice.  I see them come up for $0.30 - $0.50 on the dollar.

Feeling the growl again

I put more miles on my treadmill than most people.  I had a Sole and I went through IIRC 5 decks, 2 belts, a power button, and a speed sensor in 5 years before the main board blew.

The decks lasted shorter and shorter intervals.  I only got 3 months out of the last one I replaced.  They get surface cracking which strips the lube from the belt, then you start smelling the belt burn while you're running...no good.

I replaced with a slightly more expensive NordicTrack, I seem to have some sort of console issue (5th console on its way under warranty) and the deck was just replaced as it was majorly cracked lengthwise down the center.  I've had it 10 months, probably ~1700 miles on it.

For light or moderate use the ~$1500 treadmills will probably be OK.  If you really run on it frequently, more than a few hundred miles a year, I would strongly consider a more significant investment.  I could have saved myself a ton of headaches and almost paid for a Landice with what I spent on these two machines.

FWIW the tech who replaced the deck did tell me that the NordicTrack deck design (Commercial 1500) is better than most equivalently priced machines because the deck is spring-mounted, not to the frame like a Sole.  He says mine is only the second on that model he has ever needed to replace; the frame-mounted ones go much more frequently.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Wow only 3 months out of a deck?  It took me almost that long just to get someone out to look at it and then replace it.

Like what I'm hearing about the Landice - 7000 miles?  Wow!

Wow only 3 months out of a deck?  It took me almost that long just to get someone out to look at it and then replace it.

Like what I'm hearing about the Landice - 7000 miles?  Wow!

Another great thing about the Lance is, IMO, it feels more like running on a road than any other treadmill I've used.