Software automatically calulcates BPM of iTunes library (Read 1401 times)

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

Wanted to let y'all know about a piece of software that I've been using. It's called Tangerine. What it does is scan your entire iTunes library and calculate the beats-per-minute tempo (BPM) and beat intensity of each song. Sorry PC users -- there's no love for you this time -- it's a Mac-only app. Beat Intensity is described thusly: "Beat intensity is how strong the detected beat is. Hip-Hop and Techno music will usually have the highest beat intensity while Classical music will have the lowest beat intensity." Tangerine is a nice app because it allows you to generate playlists of varying BPM and beat intensity to suit your mood, running speed, etc. It even has some presets to make playlists that ramp up intensity, then back down. Also, if you have a lot of songs in your library, this is a real timesaver when it comes to filling in that tempo field. It scanned ~9000 songs in my library in about 1.5 hours. The demo is full-featured and lasts 15 days. It won't let you save your BPM values back into iTunes song tags (but it will if you buy it.) The only major caveat is that it can't scan songs you purchased from the iTunes Store due to the $%^&* DRM. Angry It does have a tool that allows you to tap along with the song to calculate the BPM to those songs (but not beat intensity). Only about 2% of the tracks in my library are purchased from iTunes, so I'm not too concerned with this. Your mileage may vary. Cheers, Jeff

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

JakeKnight

That is a really, really cool idea. Keep us posted if they ever expand it - or make something like it - that'll work with DRM stuff (since, unlike you, 99% of my stuff is from the iTunes store). It took me a while running to figure out that some of my favorite songs suck for running to - and some pretty stupid songs are awesome for running - and it's all because of the beat. (Rest assured I don't generally listen to "I Want You" by Savage Garden ... but it makes for great 7:00 pace running). Very cool idea.

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
      -----------------------------

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

That is a really, really cool idea. Keep us posted if they ever expand it - or make something like it - that'll work with DRM stuff (since, unlike you, 99% of my stuff is from the iTunes store).
        Yeah, MOST of my stuff that I run with is purchased from iTunes...I had researched this stuff before getting my iPod in the hopes of being able to arrange playlists by BPM....but now I just load stuff that I like and find that even without knowing the actual tempo I have a pretty good idea what will get me pumped on my runs. k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

From the Tangerine developer's blog: Our next focus will be improved analysis quality and perhaps even getting at the bits of iTunes purchased songs (gasp!). That's good news b/c most of my recent purchases, including some songs in this thread, have been running-oriented. I'll keep you posted. Slightly OT, but Apple recently introduced the Complete My Album feature, which allows you to buy the rest of an album from which you have already purchased track(s), at a discounted price, so that your not having to pay for the same song twice. Very Niiiccee! Big grin Cheer, Jeff

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Shouldn't be: Complete m-iAlbum? Big grin
            jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

Shouldn't be: Complete m-iAlbum? Big grin
              Well played, Trent Cool

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Slightly OT, but Apple recently introduced the Complete My Album feature, which allows you to buy the rest of an album from which you have already purchased track(s), at a discounted price, so that your not having to pay for the same song twice. Very Niiiccee! Big grin Cheer, Jeff
                Oh, that IS nice! More than once I have bought a track or two and then decided to purchase the entire album. Always annoyed me having to pay for the same track more than once. Smile

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

The only major caveat is that it can't scan songs you purchased from the iTunes Store due to the $%^&* DRM. Angry
                  An update of Tangerine was recently released. Now, this Mac-only program will calculate tempo and beat-intensity of all songs in your iTunes library, including DRM'd tracks purchased from the iTunes Music Store. (And of course, the new iTunes Plus non-DRM tracks aren't even an issue.)

whoooaaaa.... this is the answer to my general love/hate relationship w/ podrunner.... thank you.