What to do between races? (Read 172 times)

Gang Name "Pound Cake"

Many books and training plans ramp up the miles when training for say an endurance event like the marathon. But they all have little to say for what comes after. I'm starting a Hanson 40-60 mpw marathon plan. Later next year, I'd like to try Hanson 60-80 plan. But what should I do in the many months between those plans? Drop back to 40, stay at 60, split the difference and do base running at 50? Keep one or two faster workouts per week such as intervals and a tempo run, or just run easy miles?

What do you experienced runners do when in maintainence mode?

- Scott

2014 Goals: First Marathon - BQ2016 <3:40 (3:25:18) - 1/2M <1:45 - 5K <22:00

2014 Marathons: 05/04 Flying Pig (3:49:02) - 09/20 Air Force (BQ 3:25:18) - 11/01 Indianapolis Monumental

Feeling the growl again

Take 2-4 weeks easy and fun then start over again.  Hopefully take it up a notch.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

My suggestion would be to take a recovery period (see spaniel's post above), then get back on a fairly regular schedule of something traditional like: long run on weekend, couple quality workouts during the week (meaning, speedy, or sometimes hill repeats), and fairly easy (comfortable) stuff the rest of the time.

Not that I'm a coach or anything, just another jogger.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

Ask BadDawg what to do between races:

http://www.runningahead.com/logs/d353781e0d084d76ab0b256032a213c6/calendar

See 9/15/13.

My guess is shower, change and drive to the second race?

Or listen to spaniel...

See 9/15/13.

Or listen to spaniel...

For the love of The Flying Spaghetti Monster, don't do what that idiot does (with the exception of the beer drinking after the second race).

Listen to spaniel.

E.J.
            Greater Lowell Road Runners
            Cry havoc and let slip the dawgs of war!

May the road rise to meet you, may the wind be always at your back, may the sun shine warm upon your SPF30, may the rains fall soft upon your sweat-wicking hat, and until you hit the finish line may The Flying Spaghetti Monster hold you in the hollow of His Noodly Appendage.

Gang Name "Pound Cake"

My goodness - look at the the end of BadDawg's August calendar - THREE 5Ks in 5 days. Yea, I'll take BadDawg's advice and listen to spaniel. Smile

See 9/15/13.

Or listen to spaniel...

- Scott

2014 Marathons: 05/04 Flying Pig (3:49:02) - 09/20 Air Force (BQ 3:25:18) - 11/01 Indianapolis Monumental

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Between marathons, I enjoy concentrating on the shorter races, from one mile to half marathons, doing one or two a month.  That's enough motivation to keep training, and I consider the races as speedwork training for future marathons.

#artbydmcbride

maintenance mode?

Runners run

Gang Name "Pound Cake"

maintenance mode?

Holding steady - not trying to get to 100+ miles per week. I mean, if you go from 40 to 60 mpw does it follow that you will A) stay at 60 for a while, B) go from 60 to 80 or whatever, C) go back down to 40, D) or enter some sort of holding pattern at a compromise mileage point (like your monthly average) before beginning another training cycle.

I'm guessing that those doing 120+ miles a week, do not do that EVERY week of the year that they aren't tapering or recovering from a race. There has to be reduced mileage periods or steady maintenance mode periods where you are not trying to necessarily increase speed or endurance but are trying to solidify previous training and to let the body fully recover from hard training while maintaining speed and endurance.

That's what I mean by maintenance mode.

- Scott