Runner's Knee (Read 209 times)

*the day before this happened I lifted and mixed about 70 bags of 60lb concrete, twisting and awkward standing to get it done. I'm guessing that this may be the main contributor.

Hopefully this may help because i, too, once injured my knee in a non-running activity and your symptoms sound similar.

1. No running for about a week and used ice and naproxen sodium to remove inflammation.  When I did feel able to run again it was significantly reduced intensity, duration and frequency for a few weeks.
    2. Cross trained on upright stationary bike to maintain cardio fitness in a non weight bearing manner.
    3. Did strength training of the injured knee by putting a flexiband round the ankle of the uninjured leg and to an anchor. Then, while standing on the injured leg, with knee slightly bent stretched the band repeatedly in all four directions with the uninjured leg. Three sets of ten in each direction. This puts a slight load on the injured knee and encourages strengthening.
    4. Did squats leaning back against a wall with an exercise ball between my knees. Three sets of ten holding each for count of five.
    5. Did step up exercises, stepping up about eight inches. This one was painful at first. So I had to be careful.
    6. Sat on the floor with legs flat and extended and pressed down towards the floor with knee isometrically. Hold for count of five and repeat ten times. Three sets.
    7. While in this position did vertical leg lifts. Same sets as step 6.
    8. Layed on floor on my side and performed lateral leg lifts about six to eight inches. Same sets as step 6.
    9. Added some hamstring and quad stretches.
    10. After a few weeks started adding dumbbells and ankle weights to the step ups, squats and leg lifts.

All I can say is, it worked.

I intend to live forever . . . or die trying.

SMART Approach

Teger, good stuff. I am against the ice and NSAIDS but the highlights of your plan are:

- Time off from running or avoiding anything that irritated the condition or causes a set back

- Time in general. The body knows how to heal

- Building tissue resiliency. The biggest mistake that many people make in recovery is rushing the process, not moving enough and relying on meds and ice. Movement is how nature has programmed us to remove swelling and coax us along the healing process.. Inflammation is not bad....it is required for healing...swelling and congestion is the issue that delays recovery and can suffocate and damage otherwise healthy tissue. The fact that you were moving and building strength around the injury is all positive and makes you more resiliant going forward. Step ups, standing band work and squats were the highlights of your strength work. One leg work is crucial for building tissue resiliency.

Way to put the time in. Kudos.

Run Coach. Recovery Coach. Founder of SMART Approach Training, Coaching & Recovery

Structured Marathon Adaptive Recovery Training

Safe Muscle Activation Recovery Technique

www.smartapproachtraining.com

I don't mind the time off too much, it's not like I'm training for a race or anything. I don't race much, I just run to be in shape to run. Between this and my achilles and theater production schedule, my goal to get 2020 miles this year is taking a real hit. I thought cancellation of the Summer show and probably the Fall show would be a boost for my miles, but then this happens.

60-64 age group  -  University of Oregon alumni  -  Irreverent and Annoying

Teger, good stuff. I am against the ice and NSAIDS . . .

Hi Tchuck

To be fair, I will take credit (blame) for the ice and NSAIDs. At first I thought perhaps I had a torn meniscus. It hurt like the dickens and kept me up at night so I was searching for pain relief.

I finally wised up and went to the Marshall University Sports Medicine walk in clinic. The good folks there straightened me out in a hurry by prescribing the other therapies. So I have become a firm believer in going to the experts when these things happen and skip all the trial and error stuff that may sometimes work but may just cost a lot of time and effort with nothing to show for it.

All is good.

I intend to live forever . . . or die trying.