1st Run with my dog... (Read 1128 times)

2008 Philly Trifecta

I went on my 1st run this week after taking a week off! I've had a base building phase building up to 20+ mpw. I noticed I had some knee/foot pain I've experienced in the past brought on by increasing mileage too quickly. I decided to take last week off to recoup, and the plan seemed to work! Big grin Since I'm on vacation the week, and usually get my weekday runs in before work, I decided to take our youngest dog with me on a 3-4miler... She did so great, we decided to go four miles! This was our first run together...since she did so well, I don't think it will be our last!!! Here she is..."Brownie" 2yr old Tricolor Australian Shepherd Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket Dave

***Check out my site: where I've been, and where I'm going @ releasetherunner.blogspot.com
    2008 Philly Trifecta:
    10 Mile Broad St Run-5/4
    Philly Distance Run HM-9/21
    Philly Marathon-11/23
    "A goal not written down is only a dream...!"

VERY COOL! Beautiful dog!! I can't wait for my puppy to be old enough to run with me!

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

I went on my 1st run this week after taking a week off! I've had a base building phase building up to 20+ mpw. I noticed I had some knee/foot pain I've experienced in the past brought on by increasing mileage too quickly. I decided to take last week off to recoup, and the plan seemed to work! Big grin Since I'm on vacation the week, and usually get my weekday runs in before work, I decided to take our youngest dog with me on a 3-4miler... She did so great, we decided to go four miles! This was our first run together...since she did so well, I don't think it will be our last!!! Here she is..."Brownie" 2yr old Tricolor Australian Shepherd Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket Dave
        Glad to hear your knee is behaving, and that Brownie behaved too! Scout has that breed of a dog, but he says she wouldn't do well running with him (she's easily distracted). Brownie is cute! When I was in HS I would run with my Siberian Husky (Misty), I miss him!

Michelle

Sister used to have dog (little Doberman) that I took out once for a nice trip around the neighborhood. Mile 5, he refused to move... he just laid there... ...so I carried him the rest of the way home. Big grin

Vim

2008 Philly Trifecta

Sister used to have dog (little Doberman) that I took out once for a nice trip around the neighborhood. Mile 5, he refused to move... he just laid there... ...so I carried him the rest of the way home. Big grin
            yeah...that crossed my mind, and I wondered how far she could go...but she kept plugging away and looked really fresh till the end. Considering my wife took her on a 1.5m walk/run about a 1/2 hr before I took her...she did great and even enjoyed a little splash in a neighbors sprinkler! Also, it really seems to help with her behavior. Since she's a herding/working dog, this my be the trick to get out all that pent up enrgy. Other than barking at and chasing sqirrels in the backyard!!! Roll eyes Thanks to all for the responses~ Dave

***Check out my site: where I've been, and where I'm going @ releasetherunner.blogspot.com
            2008 Philly Trifecta:
            10 Mile Broad St Run-5/4
            Philly Marathon-11/23

Brownie is so cute! Herding dogs have SO MUCH energy. You're right, running with them is a great way to release some of that pent-up energy. I have a 6 year old Sheltie that still has the energy of a puppy. She runs with me when it's not too hot. When she doesn't get enough exercise, she barks at anything that moves (leaves, birds, squirrels) and runs circles in the house. As long as she gets regular exercise, she's calm and quiet. Here are a few things that I've learned about running with a dog: (1) keep a tight grip on the leash but be able to let go if necessary- she saw a rabbit on a run and took off dragging me behind her (I twisted an ankle and scabbed my knee when she pulled me down); (2) dogs can't tell you when they're too tired or thirsty, don't push too hard and stop for regular water breaks; (3) beware of salt on streets and sidewalks in the winter, which can irritate their paws (wash paws as soon as you get home); (4) watch out for cars - herding dogs especially like to chase anything that moves and people in cars don't always pay attention to how close they get to runners; (5) always take a doggie baggie with you (even if she just went in your yard) b/c the dog will pick the most inopportune time to go again; (6) keep the dog's nails trim - long nails can break during runs causing lots of bleeding and pain. Otherwise, I think you've found a great running partner. Enjoy your time together.
              t_runner

Also, it really seems to help with her behavior.
                I can really relate! Our recently adopted mixed breed Chief has separation anxiety issues. Running and walking help decrease the damage done. We also taught him to high five, and show this trick off at races.. people love that one Smile I have heard others with Australian Shepherds have good luck running with them. It is a lot of fun, both for them and for you. I myself appreciate having somebody along when running by myself on more secluded trails also. Brownie is a cutie, keep it up!

Imminent Catastrophe

Looks like chief has some Doberman in him. Our older girl (my avatar) will pull us the whole way on our 6-miler, if we let her.

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

Looks like chief has some Doberman in him. Our older girl (my avatar) will pull us the whole way on our 6-miler, if we let her.
                    Doberman or Coon Hound! I just love hound dogs. Prob. a Doberman by the looks of the ears and eyes though. Smile

Michelle

t_runner

My family always argues about his ancestry. Dobie and Coonhound are the most often brought up, and he does remind me of both! I have never seen such good pics of the coonhound, thanks Mississippi! He does have a few hound-like traits, we have seen his sticking his nose to the ground and sniff along after a trail quite a bit. The foster parents claimed Lab + Rottweiler, but he is way too slender built to be Rott I think (I think they just randomly picked a dog with the black and tan markings). That's when we started thinking Doberman, but my mom has always stuck with her thought of him having Coonhound in him... Whatever he is, he is a sweetheart and a great runner! He adapted to 6-8 mile runs with no difficulty at all... I love running with him, it's an extra motivator, a companion, and a protector, all in one!
                        Rottweiler...could be! Although if that's the case his Lab part is surely picking up the slack with the running ability. Big grin
                        Whatever he is, he is a sweetheart and a great runner! He adapted to 6-8 mile runs with no difficulty at all...I love running with him, it's an extra motivator, a companion, and a protector, all in one!
                        That's what I need! Now if only you can get him to talk to you during long easy runs! Big grin

Michelle

Imminent Catastrophe

Doberman or Coon Hound! I just love hound dogs. Prob. a Doberman by the looks of the ears and eyes though. Smile
                          My, what big ears you have!

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

My, what big ears you have!
                            Aren't they the best!? So cute.

Michelle

2008 Philly Trifecta

Brownie is so cute! Herding dogs have SO MUCH energy. You're right, running with them is a great way to release some of that pent-up energy. I have a 6 year old Sheltie that still has the energy of a puppy. She runs with me when it's not too hot. When she doesn't get enough exercise, she barks at anything that moves (leaves, birds, squirrels) and runs circles in the house. As long as she gets regular exercise, she's calm and quiet. Here are a few things that I've learned about running with a dog: (1) keep a tight grip on the leash but be able to let go if necessary- she saw a rabbit on a run and took off dragging me behind her (I twisted an ankle and scabbed my knee when she pulled me down); (2) dogs can't tell you when they're too tired or thirsty, don't push too hard and stop for regular water breaks; (3) beware of salt on streets and sidewalks in the winter, which can irritate their paws (wash paws as soon as you get home); (4) watch out for cars - herding dogs especially like to chase anything that moves and people in cars don't always pay attention to how close they get to runners; (5) always take a doggie baggie with you (even if she just went in your yard) b/c the dog will pick the most inopportune time to go again; (6) keep the dog's nails trim - long nails can break during runs causing lots of bleeding and pain. Otherwise, I think you've found a great running partner. Enjoy your time together.
                              thanks Sholtzman- Good advice! I know what you mean about a tight hold on the leash...she didn't chase anything. Even when a squirrel crossed our path. She just freaked when we passed a guy cutting his grass using a blower on the sidewalk. Dave

2008 Philly Trifecta:
                              10 Mile Broad St Run-5/4
                              Philly Marathon-11/23