OK Marathoners and Half Marathoners...A Question... (Read 1087 times)

Jess runs for bacon

Just curious how close together the mile and marathon races are. While this may not be unique, it's probably very unusual that I once set PRs at both distances only three weeks apart, first the mile, then the marathon.

I'm not sure yet, the marathon is in March, and last year the mile was in October, but I heard that they were considering moving the mile to the spring time. If I don't PR on both I'll be sad (the marathon will be my first and I did really bad on my first mile).

ilanarama

Pace Prophet

5ks make me puke sometimes and hurt while I'm doing them.  (let's not revisit the 'pain' discussion)

10ks feel the same but last twice as long.  No gracias.

I agree on the 5K, but 10Ks for me are more like half marathons with a shorter amount of misery at the end.  Unfortunately, not many 10Ks around here.

I hate 5Ks.  I do them anyway.  But I still hate them.

For me, PRs at various distances tend to come in clumps. I've never followed a specific plan to race a fast mile, 5k or 10k; typically I just follow a marathon plan or I'm just doing base mileage so when I get into marathon training (whether or not I eventually run that marathon) I get into somewhat better shape than I am during the base running and then the shorter distance PRs all come as a side effect.

Unless you've previously focused on the mile, I'd guess that solid marathon training should put you in a good place for a mile PR as long as the mile isn't within a couple of weeks after the marathon.

MJ5

Chief Unicorn Officer

This past year my races ranged from 4 one mile races to 2 half marathons and everything in between. The only time I made a serious noticeable change in my training for a specific distance was for three of the miles, which were a series and there was prize money involved. My 5K training (which is my favorite distance and main focus) was good enough to get me a 1:36 half. I don't do marathons and I think just doing lots of slow-ish miles makes you slower in the 5K and shorter distances like the mile. Piling on the miles with no speedwork will only get you so far.

Mile 5:49 - 5K 19:58 - 10K 43:06 - HM 1:36:54

SheCan

I like to do races of different lengths, but I don't expect to do great in all them. I just like the race atmosphere.

Cherie

"We do not become the people who this world needs simply by turning our backs on anyone we don’t like, trust, or deem healthy enough to be in our presence. "  ---- Shasta Nelson

I don't do marathons and I think just doing lots of slow-ish miles makes you slower in the 5K and shorter distances like the mile. Piling on the miles with no speedwork will only get you so far.

Ok, as long as you're clear that "just doing lots of slow-ish miles" does not = marathon training.

While marathon training this summer I pr'd mile and 5k.

Come all you no-hopers, you jokers and rogues
              We're on the road to nowhere, let's find out where it goes
              wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

Unless you've previously focused on the mile, I'd guess that solid marathon training should put you in a good place for a mile PR as long as the mile isn't within a couple of weeks after the marathon.

Ah, but that's the kicker. I'd been training primarily for the mile and other short races. That PR race won the university indoor intramural race for me which was one of my goals that year. It was not a soft time compared to my other race times. Based on AG ratings it ranked better most of them.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                      05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

Why is it sideways?

Ah, but that's the kicker. I'd been training primarily for the mile and other short races. That PR race won the university indoor intramural race for me which was one of my goals that year. It was not a soft time compared to my other race times. Based on AG ratings it ranked better most of them.

What were the marks you hit?

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

What were the marks you hit?

The mile was 4:45.9. The marathon was a slowish 2:54:56 on a hot day in Boston when the winning time was only 2:18:45. Both times stand as my all-time PRs for those distances.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                          05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

StepbyStep-SH

This year I have run from 5ks through a 24-hour ultra. Often the 5ks, 5-milers, 10ks are local events that I enjoy the atmosphere of and run to support local charities and the local running community. Occasionally I will target one as a goal race, but I'm just as likely to run it as a tempo-ish segment of a long run.

20,000 miles behind me, the world still to see.

asdfsdaaas

spam

Why is it sideways?

The mile was 4:45.9. The marathon was a slowish 2:54:56 on a hot day in Boston when the winning time was only 2:18:45. Both times stand as my all-time PRs for those distances.

Ah, well that's what you would expect for running a marathon while training for the mile.

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

5k/10k is a great bit of speed work for a marathon...

Feeling the growl again

I set all of my PRs from the mile up in a 2 month span bracketing my marathon PR.  Of course it was marathon training which often included sets of intervals at and a bit faster than 5K pace.  Then again I am a slow-twitcher and never had much success with classic mid-distance training or racing.  Last time I ran a 800m I think I ran a 2:23....2 hours after a 16:17 5K.  Em-barassing.  

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

runmomto3boys

So far, only a marathon and only marathons planned.  I have no interest in racing shorter distances.