2019 Sub 3 hour marathon thread (Read 680 times)

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Cal - are you buying the latest VF available in 2021? It should be the alpha at that point, the shoes Kipchoge ran in for his sub 2. If so, then you have a shot. If not, you know mikkey will be rocking them and you'll be screwed.

Brew - I plan on meeting this ragtag group in the mud pits at the starting village. It seems appropriate for what is going down at that race.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

Andres1045

Boston Over in the 3:20 thread on RWOL members would meet for brunch on Sunday before Patriots Day. Does anything like that happen here, or do you elites just meet at the expo and shake hands formally? I'm coming from the "rag tag" bunch typically found towards the end of a marathon so I'm still not sure how to act around the front runners. Plus I have anywhere between 0 and 7 people who said they're coming to 2021.

I ran Boston 3 years in a row, and the hours leading up to the race, at the village, was some of the more fun times ever associated with a marathon. I think DW has talked about it being a bit draining, which it probably is, but I wouldn't trade it for any other set up. It's a blast. I met up with tons of people from here and RW in those years, including Cal, Slammin, Weatherboy and JT (and a bunch of other guys that stopped posting a while back). I think most times I've gotten in on Sunday afternoon, so usually no one wants to meet up by that point. Monday before and after the race is always awesome though.

Now I just need to get a qualifier in Houston!

Upcoming races: Boston

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

It's only $395 non-stop flight from London to San Francisco right now - the same as for me flying to Boston - decent hotels in Sacramento could be pricey if not reserved early - around $200 per night probably but non-smoking tolerable place can be booked for less than $100 (I would invite you to stay with me but I seriously live in a very small house Sad - though I definitely have a place in my garage - I promise to clean it up to the point of greatness! Smile )- so, let's have round 1 maybe? pre-Boston warm-up? As a good will gesture - I will pay for your race entry? Just a suggestion, you know... 

I like that suggestion and won’t rule it out. I will travel anywhere when I’m 100% fit and ready....so, maybe. 👍

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

CalBears

I'm going with Mikkey.

Great start! Thank you Andres! Who is next - we need more voting bodies! It's even more exciting than I thought! Smile

paces PRs - 5K - 5:48  /  10K - 6:05  /  HM - 6:14  /  FM - 6:26 per mile

CalBears

Cal - are you buying the latest VF available in 2021? It should be the alpha at that point, the shoes Kipchoge ran in for his sub 2. If so, then you have a shot. If not, you know mikkey will be rocking them and you'll be screwed. 

No, I was not thinking about it yet but at some point I will definitely buy it - the latest would be next CIM. Though I must say I was running in Nike Fly Flyknit that also has a full size fiber plate in it - so, I am already kind of using the technology...

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Very tricky question then.

We know what Mikkey is going to do. He's going to run his 60-70 mile weeks, take a break where needed, etc.

Cal is a feast or famine runner. There's a potential he averages 100 miles per week in the 6 months leading up to Boston 21, which would give him the edge.

I know it's too early to predict this. If Cal doesn't run 100 MPW like he's known to do, Mikkey has the edge. But you never doubt a Russian with their backs up against the wall. The Germans learned that the hard way.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

CalBears

I know it's too early to predict this. If Cal doesn't run 100 MPW like he's known to do, Mikkey has the edge. But you never doubt a Russian with their backs up against the wall. The Germans learned that the hard way.

JMac - no "femine" this time - the idea is to train the whole year. How many miles - it depends - yes, I had ran 100 mpw weeks few years ago but I didn't do that for at least 3 years and who knows how aging body reacts - my average training pace is getting slower and slower every year. But that is not the point - of course in March 2021 you will have so much better idea whom to go with, but that is like having insiders information (though still there are race day jitters, or Mikkey can trip me or I, through a well hidden net of russian agents, can put polonium into his pre-race dinner - you know, stuff happens Smile. But the time for voting is - now! Smile

Anyway, I think it's too much talk about it - certainly don't want to focus the whole thread on "very toxic relationship between Britain and Russia" - would love to have some votes but it's optional Smile

Running Problem

Problem Child

Great start! Thank you Andres! Who is next - we need more voting bodies! It's even more exciting than I thought! Smile

I’ll be Switzerland to your Russia and England so I’m just going to remain silent.

edit:

Monday Morning at the start. Sounds interesting. BYOB?

JMac Does Boston work well for you being later in the morning? I’ve never run a marathon at 10am. Usually I’m done by then so I’m interested to see what it’s like running in the afternoon.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

CalBears

I’ll be Switzerland to your Russia and England so I’m just going to remain silent.

McFly? Chicken!

Running Problem

Problem Child

McFly? Chicken!

Conscious objector. Third party candidate. I’m just here for the love of keeping competition fair and exciting.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

Conscientious objectors - I think we’d have a lot of millennial snowflakes in the UK who would use that card if we had a world war right now! (don’t get me started)

cinnamon girl

Cinnamon Girl - You’ve run CIM before....would I smash that course and be waiting for Cal at the finish line?  I think I know the answer. 👍

I've logged several miles on the course, having lived on it, but I've never run CIM. Zero interest.

You would be waiting no doubt. But I wouldn't recommend dealing with getting over here to run it. I was going to say, unless you like to ski and can spend some time in Tahoe but skiing can be a tough thing post-marathon! So I say get your heel healed, your 3 hr and line up at Boston. His 2:48 (?) or whatever at CIM is no comparison to your 2:51 (?) at NYC.

But I have to say that none of this matters. I don't give a fuck. At the end of the day, it's who you would want to have a pint with. 👍

Fly: I wish!! I'm a Pharmacist and work in a hospital. Jacked up work schedule.

Swim: ???

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

So flying 5000 miles to spend a night in Cal’s garage isn’t a good idea after all then. 😁

CalBears

So flying 5000 miles to spend a night in Cal’s garage isn’t a good idea after all then. 😁

First, you do not need to spend ANY time in my garage - I would gladly have you at my house but as I mentioned, in the area where I live it's quite hard to get a house I would like to have - ok, I have to say I have a leather couch in the living room if you don't care about privacy  . Also, as I mentioned - there are plenty inexpensive alternatives. I seriously would love to go to London but you guys over there do not make it easy and inexpensive 

Second - you obviously don't need to go to places you don't wanna go, my only reason for the suggestion to run CIM is because of all those jokes Smile

Third - my man, that's how the legend grows, now I discovered that you "ran" NYC at 2:51 - well, in that case my "girly" CIM PR would be no match to your "real macho" NYC time... 

And the last - I obviously don't give a fuck what other strangers' interests are and much the same - don't give a fuck whom anybody has a "pint" with - totally personal business.