OK Marathoners and Half Marathoners...A Question... (Read 1087 times)

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

For a number of years now my training volumn hasn't been high enough to race anything beyond 10K, but when it was I would race a wide range of distances from 800m to the HM. I stopped running marathons in my mid-30s due to work and family responsibilities.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
          05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

mikeymike

Yes, definitely. I run a lot of 5k's an occasional 10k and some other distances.

Runners run

Better I Leave

Good feedback. Muchas gracias my friends. Smile

xhristopher

One of the many things that is great about RunningAhead is that you can click through active users profiles and see the answer to this question in their race results. MTA: Personal records, not race results. For me you will find a 5k runner who also runs marathons and halfs.

This year, my shortest race was a 5K (I did three of them).  Longest was a 50 miler.  In the middle, two marathons, three 10Ks, and a ten miler. I also did a half marathon with my dad.

"When a person trains once, nothing happens. When a person forces himself to do a thing a hundred or a thousand times, then he certainly has developed in more ways than physical. Is it raining? That doesn't matter. Am I tired? That doesn't matter, either. Then willpower will be no problem." 
            Emil Zatopek

delicate flower

I love the 5K and 10K races.  It's like to see how fast I can go balls out for three miles and I think they are a real good fitness test to see where your speed is.  I used to think the 5K was a waste of time because it's "only three miles" and I wanted to run further, but I have since grown to respect the race for the challenge that it is.  I really have to get myself psyched up, dialed in mentally, and concentrate during a 5K like with no other distance. 

Edit to add:  FYI, I started running in Feb 2011.  I've run three marathons and five half marathons. 

<3

JML

...do you guys still register/participate in 5K/10K runs? I'm curious as I'm new to this whole "world of running" cuz I can see benefits to it to maintain fitness and/or work on speed etc...yeah?

Absolutely.  I like the variety and the challenges that are distinct to each distance.  My races this year have ranged from 1 mile to a half marathon.   I think that shorter races are quite useful when training for a longer race to allow you to gauge your fitness and practice your race day routine.

Rebuilding my aerobic base....racing next year.....nothing to see here....move along now.

Dreamn

I register for 10ks, at least the 1 or 2 that still exist in this area.  I don't like 5ks and I think most of them are overpriced.

Yes. Last summer I even entered a 800m and 1500m track race. I actually prefer the shorter races because I hate the long recovery time of the half and full.

Jess runs for bacon

I plan on running anything from a one mile to a marathon (and a 12 hour) in 2013. I've done all before but the ultra and the marathon. I like running in races, it's fun.

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

I plan on running anything from a one mile to a marathon (and a 12 hour) in 2013. I've done all before but the ultra and the marathon. I like running in races, it's fun.

Just curious how close together the mile and marathon races are. While this may not be unique, it's probably very unusual that I once set PRs at both distances only three weeks apart, first the mile, then the marathon.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                              05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

Why is it sideways?

Just curious how close together the mile and marathon races are. While this may not be unique, it's probably very unusual that I once set PRs at both distances only three weeks apart, first the mile, then the marathon.

This might be surprising to some, but really mile training and marathon training have more in common for most runners than you might think. I wrote something a while back on this in response to Kara Goucher's nice run at the Millrose Games mile while in marathon training.

As for the OP's question, I probably ran 100 5ks before I ran a marathon or raced a half marathon. But then again, I don't really consider myself a marathoner.

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

5ks yes, 10ks no (but I will likely do one sometime soon because I haven't run one since... yikes... 2002ish).  I don't like 10ks, never have.

Huh, I think it's my favorite distance.

xor

5ks make me puke sometimes and hurt while I'm doing them.  (let's not revisit the 'pain' discussion)

10ks feel the same but last twice as long.  No gracias.

Not quite right

As a first year runner that started running because of a race. Have used them to work my way up to HM . Ran 6 5ks a 10k and a HM in last year. Look forward to the next year of running  a few more HM and sprinkling a good does of 5 and 10k or what ever else pops up in between.  I find just because your in a race does not mean you have to go all out. I ran a few of those at easy pace hung with the wife on couple ect ect. I find the events fun them self and generally you get some swag too.