Losing weight through nutrition and running (Read 138 times)

Zizka

Hello everyone, I’m new here and my name is Etienne.

I’m 39 and aim to lose about 10 through exercise and a healthy diet. 

I run about an hour every two days. I don’t smoke, drink or take drugs. 

I don’t have a great nutrition however so there’s one changes to take place there. I wouldn’t mind running an hour daily but I’m not sure if it’s advisable.

I’m looking for advice from people who have managed to do what I’m trying to do. Thank you!

I weighed 160 to 165 lbs from the time I was in college until my early 50's.  Then I started running and (slowly) improving my diet.  My weight dropped to 145 to 150 lbs over the next two or three years, and has stayed there since.  I run about one hour, and six days on most weeks.

Your plan sounds reasonable and realistic.

Luciplay

Do it gradually. Your body will tell you if you're doing enough or too much, but your plan sounds good. One hour is okay to start.

DavidFresko

First of all, you should make the correct diet. If you want to lose weight I recommend you eat 5 times a day but in small portions, but this should be only non-fat and useful food. Also, you need to calculate your calories and consult with a nutritionist to take some advice. I can recommend you a website where you can find some simple and healthy recipes for you https://recipes.cafe/en.

Purdey

Self anointed title

only non-fat 

Disagree.  I would concentrate more on reducing sugar and simple carbs.  Healthy fats are all good.

Re-Run

Misinformation Officer

Running burns approximately 80-100 calories per mile, depending on your current fitness and weight.

You have to burn 3500 calories to lose one pound.

In general, weight loss happens in the kitchen. Fitness happens on the run.

I would suggest one of the free nutrition tracking apps, and be brutally honest with how much you are currently eating and drinking, then see where you can make changes. You might try My Fitness Pal, one of the most popular globally.

There’s a wealth of appropriate nutrition balance data out there. Healthy fats are important. Added sugar is totally unnecessary. Find what will work for you forever.

I’m not an expert, but I’ve kept off 45+ pounds for many years through running and weight lifting, but mainly through attention to my nutrition needs.

I don’t have a great nutrition however so there’s one changes to take place there. I wouldn’t mind running an hour daily but I’m not sure if it’s advisable.

I’m looking for advice from people who have managed to do what I’m trying to do. Thank you!

Runs like a dj mixing songs while wearing festive outfits.
              5k PR 5/31/21 24:21 

10k PR 5/23 54:43

HM PR 1/2024 1:59:10

Altair5

Runs in the rain

Just making some calculations, based on 80-100 calories per mile and burning 3500 calories would be around 42 to 35 miles to lose a pound. If you average 3 1/2 hours of running a week and then guessing your pace to be in the 8 to 12 minute mile range that would make the weekly millage 28 to 42 miles. So you could be burning 2240 calories on the low end (28x80) or up to 4200 calories (42x100). I imagine that you lose a little less than a pound from running each week. If your weight was stable before and you've made absolutely no change to your calorie intake then adding in the running should enable you to lose the 10 pounds in a bit over 10 weeks. Of course you will obtain better results with modifications to your diet and increasing exercise. I recommend replacing some meals with a big salad (go easy on the dressing) or a large bowl of a healthy homemade soup. You can try to gradually increase your miles or do cross training with walks or cycling. Perhaps weight training might be more efficient than running in burning fat since added muscle uses more calories even when just resting. Guess I need to lose some holiday weight myself, I should follow my own advice!

Long distance runner, what you standin' there for?
                Get up, get out, get out of the door!

BurlGirl

I lost 25 pounds last year by slightly changing my nutrition. And I ate fairly healthy before (or so I thought)!

I cut out all sugar - although I would allow myself an ice cream cone once a month.

I also "ate clean". So nothing processed. Protein at every meal. Lots of vegetables! No fruit after lunch. All fruit in the morning.

NO bread. NO cheese.

"Meals" are mini meals spread out no further than every 3 hours. It's difficult in the beginning to remember to eat, but once you start eating like this consistently, you'll know when it's time to eat. The good thing is that you no longer stuff yourself at meals.

Also some sort of activity every day - even if it's just a walk.

Hope this helps!

Purdey

Self anointed title

NO cheese.

That is crazy talk right there.