Plan to have Timex Run Trainer Format any time soon? (Read 2415 times)

jingle1004

I am thinking about buying the new Timex Run trainer and upgrading from the Garmin 305 - any thoughts about upgrading runningahead.com for the file format for Timex?  Love runningahead and want to keep using it....

joescott

Why in the world would you want to buy that enormous hunk of junk when Garmin has at least 3 or 4 products that are superior in fit and function?  .... just sayin'....

- Joe

We are fragile creatures on collision with our judgment day.

Someone just got served. 

Btw, I think the 305 is heavier? 

One piece of evidence: I feel like my left bicep is a little bigger than my right bicep:

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus

krull_etc

I'd second the request for Timex Run Trainer support  (it would then also cover the Global trainer).  Timex uses a PWX file that is just XML, so adding that option in file import types would be great.

It looks like my current options are exporting that PWX file to a HRM file and then importing, but that looses the mapping data or exporting to GPX and then importing, which looses the HR data. 

I'd second the request for Timex Run Trainer support  (it would then also cover the Global trainer).  Timex uses a PWX file that is just XML, so adding that option in file import types would be great.

It looks like my current options are exporting that PWX file to a HRM file and then importing, but that looses the mapping data or exporting to GPX and then importing, which looses the HR data. 

Refer to prior post by JoeScott. Joe KNOWS GPS watches!!

an amazing likeness

This may be correct, however Joe has a vested interest as well that he should publicize when it is relevant.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

krull_etc

actually, the Run trainer gets better reviews than any comparable Garmins.  

joescott

This may be correct, however Joe has a vested interest as well that he should publicize when it is relevant.

ha ha.  yes, this is true. 

First of all the Run Trainer is still humongous.  This is objectively true.  Compare to the 110, 210, 610 or even the older 405/410.

Second, the darn thing is certainly no better than any of the products referred to above.  They are trying to compete with the Forerunner 210 (which is much smaller and more comfortable) by throwing every conceivable feature at it and hoping that people will buy on the list of features.  From my point of view the jury is still out on GPS accuracy and performance, but my prediction is that it will not be better than the 210 (which is pretty darn good), and if they didn't learn from their Global Trainer fiasco it is very possible that it will be much much worse.

Finally, Garmin already did a huge watch with a billion features several years ago.  So, Timex is only about 4 years late with this product.  Pick up a Forerunner 305 on ebay (or maybe still on Amazon) for less than $140.  'Nuff said.  :-)

- Joe

krull_etc

First,  Thanks for hijacking the thread.  you should start your own if you care to respond.

Secondly, Garmin's had their own fiascoes with the 405/410 and durability issues with the 310XT and FR60...  The Run Trainer is a little bigger than the Garmin 210, but its also $100 cheaper.  I'd call that a fair trade... and hopefully it doesn't require downtime for a visit with warranty repair every few months like Garmin did.

First,  Thanks for hijacking the thread.  you should start your own if you care to respond.

Secondly, Garmin's had their own fiascoes with the 405/410 and durability issues with the 310XT and FR60...  The Run Trainer is a little bigger than the Garmin 210, but its also $100 cheaper.  I'd call that a fair trade... and hopefully it doesn't require downtime for a visit with warranty repair every few months like Garmin did.

Hey, Joe only responded with his lengthy post (what you call HiJack) because someone called him out for not revealing his "interest" in Garmin. 

Be nice... his initial jab was in jest.   Sorry for stirring the hornets nest. 

joescott

Sorry -- no offense meant. Best of luck with the RT.  I am very curious how it performs for people over the coming months.

Joe

- Joe

an amazing likeness

Hey, Joe only responded with his lengthy post (what you call HiJack) because someone called him out for not revealing his "interest" in Garmin.

My intent was not to "call him out" with all the negative connotations that implies.  So my apologies to Joe if that is how it came across. 

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

eric :)

I would love to add support for Timex but Timex continues to refuse to work with anyone other than Training Peaks.  Below is the email I received from their support personnel:

Sir  our watches  communicate through that software and a  the files are only  exported in peaks ware format. At this time we are not  releasing any of the protocol information  as it is proprietary.

The only way get it to work is by uploading to Training Peaks, then downloading the workout and uploading to RA.  I am frustrated at Timex's myopia.  Regardless, if anyone thinks this is an interesting challenge, I would love to work with you to reverse engineer the protocol.  Drop me a note if you're interested.

I would love to add support for Timex but Timex continues to refuse to work with anyone other than Training Peaks.  Below is the email I received from their support personnel:

Sir  our watches  communicate through that software and a  the files are only  exported in peaks ware format. At this time we are not  releasing any of the protocol information  as it is proprietary.

The only way get it to work is by uploading to Training Peaks, then downloading the workout and uploading to RA.  I am frustrated at Timex's myopia.  Regardless, if anyone thinks this is an interesting challenge, I would love to work with you to reverse engineer the protocol.  Drop me a note if you're interested.

eric : )  , if we upload to Training Peaks will we find out who killed Laura Palmer?

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus

eric :)

eric : )  , if we upload to Training Peaks will we find out who killed Laura Palmer?

You'll have to ask Training Peaks about that.