Mileage on shoes (Read 216 times)

Newguy

Hello, new to the forum, taking up running this year. Learning a great deal. Average walk/ jog is 3-5 miles a day. I was using New Balance 880v9. I purchased two pair and alternated daily. The soles are flat on the forefoot after ~150 miles. I thought running shoes were good for 300 miles. 

I like a neutral shoe with a wide toe box and soft cushioning. Any recommendations? I don’t mind paying for quality but two pair shoes in three months is extreme. 

thanks for any advice.

RichardR

Gait is highly individual, so wear for one runner might be totally different from another.

I need a similar shoe to your needs.  Just cushion.  No motion control.  I use Asics Gel-Cumulus, and have for 20 years.  The current design on this shoe has a comfortable toe box.

Version 21 are available right now for $70 if you look.

My present are near retirement, and they have 460 miles on them.

Like I say, your mileage may vary....gait is a highly individual thing.

SMART Approach

I wear neutral and am conscious of a roomy toe box as I have a bunion. I wear Brooks Ghost and Saucony Ride. Both have worked out great for years. If you want a lighter quicker shoe for races or faster work outs, Saucony Kinvara fits that bill. All of these are comfy overall and in the forefoot but will say I have an average foot vs a wide foot.

Run Coach. Recovery Coach. Founder of SMART Approach Training, Coaching & Recovery

Structured Marathon Adaptive Recovery Training

Safe Muscle Activation Recovery Technique

www.smartapproachtraining.com

That's a lot of toe-off force to wear through the forefoot in 150 miles, you must have mighty calves.

Perhaps a different shape would "accent" your gait so you wouldn't be putting so much force on the balls of your feet. Something more flexible, or a rocker sole like a Hoka or Skechers. It may be unassailable, and you may be stuck with outsoles that wear down fast as a result. In that case, you need to buy cheaper shoes; such as clearance sales of last year's models. I've found in the past that the rubber compound on Adidas shoes was very durable. In my area of the country, SF Bay Area, the Ross Dress For Less stores currently have a bunch of Adidas SL20, PureBoost, and other models for $25-60. You can't be picky when it comes to Ross or Marshall's, you just have to see what they have and be patient.

Personally, I expect 250 "good" miles out of a shoe, and then 100-200 "filler" miles, then they go out to pasture as shoes to do chores in or walk. I mostly wear Skechers (maxroad, go-run) and these wear through the outsole way before the midsole starts to feel dead, and the uppers are still like new after 500. My Hokas wear through the upper at the metatarsal/phalangeal crease before the outsole is even close to wearing through. The Hoka outsoles are also fairly durable, those may work for you (Clifton) but Hoka runs very narrow so you'd want to get the "wide" shoe size. Lat year's models should be on a decent sale at Running Warehouse or other online retailers.

60-64 age group  -  University of Oregon alumni  -  Irreverent and Annoying

Newguy

Yes, I have massive calf muscles. It is not unusual for strangers to stop me an ask what my workout program is, but it is genetic, or the result of my gait.  The uppers on my shoes all look new.

when I was battling plantar fasciitis, a podiatrist warned me never to wear Skechers, but that was ten years  ago.

I put six miles in on some New Balance 880 v10 today, jogged three of them. I normally run in some thick adidas socks, but I noticed at the 5 mile mark my forefoot became irritated. Any tips on what type of socks to wear?

I just got a pair Adidas Ultraboost 20. Any tips on breaking in new shoes?

Thanks.

when I was battling plantar fasciitis, a podiatrist warned me never to wear Skechers, but that was ten years  ago.

I put six miles in on some New Balance 880 v10 today, jogged three of them. I normally run in some thick adidas socks, but I noticed at the 5 mile mark my forefoot became irritated. Any tips on what type of socks to wear?

I just got a pair Adidas Ultraboost 20. Any tips on breaking in new shoes?

Thanks.

10 years ago Skechers were crap, now they have some of the best shoes available.

A lot of people like Balega brand socks, I wear Injinji mainly because I need the toes to keep my hammer-toe out from under it's neighbor!  I've had good experiences with Thorlo and Smartwool PhD socks.

New shoes don't need to be "broken in" anymore, but your feet need to get broken in to the shoe (modern materials and manufacturing result in shoes that are what they are, they don't have leather or unstable midsole material). Your feet will find the spots where they rub or move, and develop calluses to protect themselves. For new shoes, I wear them for one run and then not again for 3-4 runs, gradually working them into rotation with other shoes. There will be new aches and pains with new shoes, because they are working the muscle groups a little bit differently than your old shoes. That doesn't mean they are BAD shoes, it's just that you're not used to them yet. The aches will go away with more use.

robin from maine

I have had good luck with New Balance

short version: shoes in current rotation include a pair I've recently started running in, and pairs with 484, 695, 716 (ran in them today), and 1061 miles respectively. The last pair is getting a little worn in the sole.

long version: I live 22 miles door to door from the New Balance factory, and until this  year would go to their summer tent sale and buy anything that fit, although I've done really well with the 680s -- also 580, 780, 880, and 1080, which is the 1000 mile pair. I only ran that many miles because in the spring I had a twingy ankle and the 1080s were the only shoes that didn't make it worse. Since then the ankle has improved and I've broken in a couple of new pairs, left over from 2019 summer buying session, but since I wasn't able to get more new shoes in 2020, I've unretired a couple of old pair of 680s. In the past I would retire shoes at some point after 500 miles, but might put a few more miles on the older shoes if I had to run in mud, slush, or puddles.

Hello, new to the forum, taking up running this year. Learning a great deal. Average walk/ jog is 3-5 miles a day. I was using New Balance 880v9. I purchased two pair and alternated daily. The soles are flat on the forefoot after ~150 miles. I thought running shoes were good for 300 miles. 

I like a neutral shoe with a wide toe box and soft cushioning. Any recommendations? I don’t mind paying for quality but two pair shoes in three months is extreme. 

thanks for any advice.

Newguy

I sent the Adidas back, too narrow. I purchased New Balance 880 v10, in an 11.5 wide, they are slightly larger than the v9 of the same shoe. 
                  Is there a tool for shoe sizing cross brands? For example, if I am comfortable with NB 880 v9 in 11.5 wide, how would that translate to other brands? My experience is that Nike runs small. Hooks, Brooks, and other brands I am not familiar with. 
                  thanks.

I wish there was. And a universal "cushion" and "rebound" measurement standard.

You kind of have to trust the opinions of shoe-reviewers who wear a lot of shoes. I've found that Ginger Runner has close to the same observations and opinions that I do (other than style; that guy needs a little help there). Jamison Michael is also pretty candid about likes and dislikes.

I am 205-210 and run mostly on trails

my last ASICS went 530.

the brooks I am running in now are at 430.

i go by when my knees Start hurting

an amazing likeness

...Is there a tool for shoe sizing cross brands?...

Runningwarehouse dot com has a tool where you can input a shoe model/size and it tells you what size to select in the target make/model. I'll note that I wasn't able to find it on their site when I went to get you a link -- so "has" may be "had".

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

davidg123

Hi! It's good to see you here. I'm new here too. In my first marathon, my sneakers tore, although they were still expensive. Check out Hawk, I've only had good experiences with them so far.

RichardR

As long as this discussion is ongoing....I have a question.

Why to people answer...."I've had good luck with....."  where they insert a manufacturer?

It seems to me that the use for which the shoe was designed is the first step....cushion, motion-control, etc....  Wouldn't we all need to the right answer to that question first, and then start thinking about manufacturers?

Thanks.

Shoes are very important and extremely helpful for running.

Shoes are very important and extremely helpful for running.

Some would disagree. This is for INFORMATION ONLY, I don't advocate solely barefoot running, and some of the info on this diagram is INCORRECT (achilles for one)

Running barefoot kicks up mixed emotions – The Denver Post