Jogger sues Canadian Paralympian runners (Read 1173 times)

Runner

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/olympics-fourth-place-medal/jogger-sues-canadian-paralympian-runners-over-collision-even-154841030.html

Thoughts?

Seems unreal and I've almost ran over people as a sighted person due to his and her negligence and seeming defiance in not moving over or gettting single file.  I can't imagine a group of people running over someone and it not being the fault of the person in front that was ran over being the reason.  

I imagine the incident went down like this.  The guides alerted her to them being behind her.  She started to move out of the way, looked around, became disoriented, and then got knocked down by the blind person.  

2010 Races: Snicker's Marathon(2:58:38), Scenic City Trail Marathon(3:26:36), Laurel Highlands Ultra 77(19:13:44), Ironman Louisville(13:07:07) 2011 Races: Mount Cheaha 50k 5:22:47, Tobacco Road Marathon, Mohican 100 Miler

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

We don't have enough information.  That's why it will be and should be left to the court to decide.  Were the blind group indeed using the trail responsibly?  Was the plaintiff wearing earphones?  How, exactly, did the incident take place?  What, exactly, was the extent of her injuries?  Running the 10K could be a very challenging rehab run for her; I don't know. She may feel that she needs to sue to prevent similar incidents in the future.  Or, she could be exploiting the system and the defendants.

Feeling the growl again

We don't have enough information. 

+1.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Kalsarikännit

Thoughts?

Canadians sure spell meter funny.

I want to do it because I want to do it.  -Amelia Earhart

Thoughts?

I'm glad I don't have to worry about being sued for "running at an unsafe speed".  

Also, the article starts with an invalid premise: I've never had faith in humanity. 

"Because in the end, you won't remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn.  Climb that goddamn mountain."

Jack Kerouac

#artbydmcbride

"....and has been unable to tend to housekeeping.."   regular running does this to me also!  Cool

Runners run

she could be exploiting the system and the defendants.

LOL.....the Canadian justice system does not give huge payouts like in the states.  It is unlikely that she is exploiting the system......

That being said, the 10km race is a little suspicious......

Finally, the correct spelling is metre........and its colour not color.

The next time my wife wants me to do housekeeping I will tell her that I can't because I got mowed down by a blind runner who was running at unsafe speeds.  A story like that has to be true.  Either that, or I had an encounter with Raquel Welch (Seinfeld reference)

Thank you for taking the time to read my signature!

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

"....and has been unable to tend to housekeeping.."   regular running does this to me also!  Cool

Right, if she was a dedicated runner, she wouldn't have been tending to housekeeping anyway.

He sues, the insurance company settles for 50k, the runners run, yahoo gets a billion hits, the earth continues to spin on its axis. yawn. 

MTA: 

One has to tread lightly when writing about a lawsuit that's before the courts.

Wth are you talking about?  oooooooooooooo "before the courts." ooooooooooooooo.

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus

BeeRunB

He sues, the insurance company settles for 50k, the runners run, yahoo gets a billion hits, the earth continues to spin on its axis. yawn. 

Cool

Feeling the growl again

Right, if she was a dedicated runner, she wouldn't have been tending to housekeeping anyway.

Hey.  I resemble that remark.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Turbolegs

I am in no way connected to any of this ... but it just makes my blood boil for this Mimi Lepage to even consider suing the blind runners especially when she could clear a 10k race in the months after. It was an unfortunate accident but trying to cash out on it just because she can is bewildering to me. Like others mentioned, i dont have all the facts, but i dont think this is a cloak and dagger mystery.

I dont sweat. I ooze liquid awesome.

keeponrunning

As a Canadian I do not see the point of any of this.  As morrows said, our system doesn't have huge payouts, and as a lawyer she would know that.  Secondly, from what I've seen athletes of every ability take great pride in our Paralympians, so why sue them?  
                              Oh, and the correct spellings are colour, metre, flavour, etc!  Silly Americans don't know how to spell! 

Sulphur Springs 50km-- Ancaster, ON-- May 28, 2022

Tally in the Valley 12 hours-- Dundas, ON -- July 30, 2022 (Support SickKids Toronto)

Stokely Creek-- 56km-- Sault Ste. Marie, ON-- Sept. 24, 2022

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

The lead golf cart nearly ran me off the road in one of my races this weekend. I grabbed hold of it because I didn't want its wheels to go over my feet.

Not suing though.

Also, doubt the driver was blind. Maybe just not watching very carefully.

Yeah, I know the moral is that I should run fast enough to BE the lead runner, where I wouldn't have been in danger.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.