Gatorade caused phlegm (Read 901 times)

Basically... run!

I'm usually just used to drinking water before/during/after a run, but whenever I try Gatorade it seems to cause a lot of phlegm. Does anyone else have this problem? And any guesses as to why/how this happens?

Hi there Well having a quick look at the ingredients of Gatorade water, sucrose syrup, glucose-fructose syrup, citric acid, natural and artificial flavors, salt, sodium citrate, monopotassium phosphate, ester gum, sucrose acetate isobutyrate, red 40, blue 1 There are a few ingredients that can cause irritaion and allergic reactions. You do not state the flavour of the drink you use but they are much the much with slightly different colourings and flavour additives. I reckon you should concentrate on the last 4 of my list. Do a Google with + allergy after the key word, you will be surprised by the hits Shocked

Jerry
      A runners blog-updated daily

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

I often drink gatorade when I run. I often get phlegm when I run. I don't know if the phlegm comes from gatorade or from running, but I do a bit of hocking even when I don't take the gatorade.

Basically... run!

Ahh, thanks Jerry, you got me looking into the ingredients. I wonder if I may be sensitive to yellow 5...

Chicago 26.2 07

My guess would be the sugar in the beverages. Try water plus bananas and oranges instead.
            Ed4

Barefoot and happy

I second Chicago. For me, phelgm is definitely related to how much sugar I've been taking in lately.
              Curious about running barefoot? Visit the new barefoot running group.

Basically... run!

Hmm... That actually probably makes the most sense. Guess I should stick to water or maybe find an unsugary drink to try.

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Gatorade has no sugar in it. It has highly processed completely artificial heavily fattening earth-raping high fructose corn syrup in it. Sugar would probably be okay.
                  Wingz

Professional Noob

Gee, Trent, you don't have something against high fructose corn-syrup, now, do you? Big grin

Roads were made for journeys...

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Gatorade has no sugar in it. It has highly processed completely artificial heavily fattening earth-raping high fructose corn syrup in it. Sugar would probably be okay.
                      Yeah, I think a lot of people who have painted dietary fat as evil should take a look at all the HFCS in everything they eat (yes, I'm looking at you, my MIL). So many things have scads of HFCS added to take the place of fat and end up sickeningly sweet and even more unhealthy and hardly lower in calories (and hasn't the rate of type 2 diabetes increased along with the shunning of fat?). No thanks, I'll keep my full-fat salad dressings. k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay