Non running info. (Read 1432 times)

Into the wild

Hi Eric, this may be something worth a mention. For me, one of the aspects of a log is that I can look at any given period of time and see how many times per week I got my shoes on and headed out of the door. Certain weeks can look a bit thin if I have had another commitment; that could be golf, holidays, dog walking, anything. Do you think it would be useful to have the means to put a comment into the log on a particular day so it shows on the monthly calender? I guess I could get round it by inputting a 'new run' but giving distance and time values close to zero but having some label to tag it would be useful. All the best, Johnny

Shut up and run

You'll ruin your knees!

Eric, I was thinking about this as well. There are days where I may crosstrain, or take off as a rest day. I sometimes would like to document these workouts/days off, perhaps to record how my legs felt, if nothing else. Thanks, Lynn

""...the truth that someday, you will go for your last run. But not today—today you got to run." - Matt Crownover (after Western States)

eric :)

Eric, I was thinking about this as well. There are days where I may crosstrain, or take off as a rest day. I sometimes would like to document these workouts/days off, perhaps to record how my legs felt, if nothing else. Thanks, Lynn
        Hi Lynn and Johnny, One of the features I want to add is the ability to schedule events, which seems to be what you need. Adding a note in the calendar is quite easy, but I want to be able to add an entire training schedule (e.g. for a marathon or for a new runner). Let me spend a bit more time to think everything through now so that it will save me time in the future, and be something that's actually useful to you. If other people think this is a useful feature, please chime in and I'll push its schedule up. eric Smile
        Josh Jacobson

Is there anyway that we could track cross training days such as cycling or anything along those lines so that we can always just look back at it and see what we have done, but I also like your idea Eric about scheduling events. Josh

Is there anyway that we could track cross training days such as cycling or anything along those lines so that we can always just look back at it and see what we have done, but I also like your idea Eric about scheduling events. Josh
            Josh, The log currently does not support cross training because I like to keep the focus on running for now. What you can do is create your own types (such as cycling) by going to Options / My Preferences. I'll be starting work on event scheduling soon. Thank you for your patience! eric Smile

gimme some sugar, baby

yes, cross training would be a great feature to add
              George: Runner/Law Student
              www.gimme-five.com
              Maine-iac

I agree. I cross train by either spinning or the elliptical and would love to log this in. Right now I use another log for this training.

I agree. I cross train by either spinning or the elliptical and would love to log this in. Right now I use another log for this training.
                  As much as I want to keep this as a pure running log, I think I would have to relent because there is too great a demand for a multi sports log. It might take me a while to come up with a solution so you'll have to bear with me. If there's a specific feature you want in a multi sports log, now's the time to tell me. I can probably create a decent page for biking, but I know nothing about swimming or bench pressing, or any other kind of training. These runner arms of mine are only strong enough to press keys on a keyboard...

gimme some sugar, baby

really, for me, just a general "cross training" category would be fine, and just allowing me to input my total time spent biking/swimming/aqua jogging would be fine.
                    George: Runner/Law Student
                    www.gimme-five.com
                    Erunama

Hi Lynn and Johnny, One of the features I want to add is the ability to schedule events, which seems to be what you need. Adding a note in the calendar is quite easy, but I want to be able to add an entire training schedule (e.g. for a marathon or for a new runner). Let me spend a bit more time to think everything through now so that it will save me time in the future, and be something that's actually useful to you. If other people think this is a useful feature, please chime in and I'll push its schedule up. eric Smile
                      I think adding a schedule would be great for the future. Like, I'll be running a half-marathon in 11 weeks, so it'd be cool to go through and enter my workout schedule in advance. Then, I can check here everyday to see what is on tap. Maybe also have some way to easily enter stats about that workout. So, for example, if I enter a 6 mile run for a certain day, after I do that I can simply click on a button that will bring up a page asking for the exact details (exact mileage, time, etc), but not asking for the things that won't have changes (type of run, date, etc). And, another cool idea is that you could try and set it up an option to have scheduled events and workouts e-mailed to users. That way, we could wake up in the morning and have an e-mail saying what we have planned for that day. I suppose that's quite a big feature to implement. But in the mean time, I agree with some of the other suggestions about adding notes or simple cross-training events. Running should be the focus, at least while the log is still being developed, but a simple little cross-training category that asks for the type of activity and the time spent doing it would probably be helpful to a lot of people.

I am definitely adding scheduling. I have an idea of how to create a templated training schedule. Letting the user to create a custom schedule is much more complicated. Adding cross training support is also complex. It's easy to slap couple of pages together to present the information, but it ought to be integrated with the running log. And when you throw in searching and graphing integration, it can get messy. It'll take me a while to figure it all out, but I'll get there some day. Right now, I'm working on allowing users to export their running logs. That should address some of their concerns regarding their data.
                        Maine-iac

I'm all set with a general cross training section myself. Right now I'm logging in my spinning and elliptical sessions under the running log so I can keep track, but it does mess up the total miles run per week/month. Thanks for looking into adding this feature.