Speedwork on an Indoor Track (Read 382 times)

onemile

I did my first speedwork today on an indoor 440 meter track.  It felt sort of like cheating.  It was hard, don't get me wrong, but I wasn't DYING like I usually am with speedwork.  I think that was because running them outside, with wind and slight elevation changes, on my crushed limestone path is so. much. harder.  But I don't want to run them outside with the ice/snow/etc.  Do you think I should speed them up a bit?  I finished it feeling like I could do a few more intervals.

Doc, my tooth hurts

Seeing you are from Milwaukee I'm going to assume you are running at the Pettit Center. The conditions in there I feel like are really ideal and I ALWAYS have great workouts in there. Running on crushed limestone and with elevation changes will make it seem way harder, because it is.  Every time I have a workout at the Pettit I feel like I'm in way better shape than I actually am since it's 40 degrees with no wind or elevation change and try to speed up/add more quality and always end up paying for it. I would just stick with what you are doing and don't speed up, MAYBE add one more but only if you are really feeling good.  What race are you training for?

onemile

Yep, the Pettit Center.  It defnitely makes for ideal conditions!  I'm training for the Carmel Marathon (just started Hansons Advanced).  I haven't done speedwork for a couple months so I was expecting to feel more out of shape and have a harder time with it.  I hadn't considered adding an extra interval, so thanks for that idea.

DanMoriarity

For what it's worth, you probably shouldn't feel like you're "dying" when you're doing speedwork, especially for the marathon. As the saying goes, "train, don't strain". Running  your speedwork too hard is a mistake for two reasons, 1) it requires energy that would be better spent on your weekly mileage, tempo runs or long runs, which are all more important to success in the marathon than running intervals on the track and 2)  If you're dying, you're probably running a much faster pace than you would in a marathon so you're not using the same energy systems or recruiting the same motor units that you would in the marathon.

onemile

But I'm not running it too hard. I'm running it at the paces my training plan tells me to (which are based on my race results).   I'm following a plan (Hansons), so that is what dictates how I spend my energy.  And these are 5k paced intervals so of course I'm running them at a much faster pace than I would in the marathon.  Usually I have to kill myself to run at my 5k pace in training.  I also have marathon paced runs on my schedule but that's not what my question is about (because I plan to do those ones outside).

For what it's worth, you probably shouldn't feel like you're "dying" when you're doing speedwork, especially for the marathon. As the saying goes, "train, don't strain". Running  your speedwork too hard is a mistake for two reasons, 1) it requires energy that would be better spent on your weekly mileage, tempo runs or long runs, which are all more important to success in the marathon than running intervals on the track and 2)  If you're dying, you're probably running a much faster pace than you would in a marathon so you're not using the same energy systems or recruiting the same motor units that you would in the marathon.

8 x 600 at 5k with 400 recoveries should be a pretty easy workout. Enjoy it while it lasts.

Oh, and no fair gloating about having access to a 440m indoor track.

Runners run.

onemile

hehe okay.  I guess I was just expecting it to be harder based on other speedwork I've done but this had slightly longer recoveries.   And yes, the track is awesome.

8 x 600 at 5k with 400 recoveries should be a pretty easy workout. Enjoy it while it lasts.

Oh, and no fair gloating about having access to a 440m indoor track.

I have track envy.