I need help guys (Read 1250 times)

Shane40

I swear to God i want to cry sometimes coming across that finish line and checking my time. Im either elated or saying the word f--k over and over again. I cant imagine 12:20 nicley done though. Theres also sit ups and push ups that you have to do right after all at once so im thinking about that though. Isnt traditional sit ups bad for you now. LOL Anyway I admire what you have done and I will do the same Thanks for your support
    Others have given some really good advice. I will be more simple in my approach. If you really want it - you WILL do it - you will get there. I had to do this last year as part of my law enforcement PT exam too. Except I am a 36 yer old female and I had to do it in 12.20. I am not a sprinter/fast runner at all (long and slow is me!) but I kept training for it over a 6 month time frame. I had to run 4 laps so I divided my required time into 4 and each time I started a new lap I would check my watch to see I was on schedule. I would 'run' it 3 x a week and I would run it doing the same route for the actual test. I would run so fast I would feel sick but my times dropped and I passed the time required with almost a minute to spare. I know its not easy - so hugs to you - I know what its like. In my exam (which i passed easily enough) I was so damned relieved I peed myself in frickin relief. Gross I know (no one saw and I had a change of PT clothes thank goodness!) - just saying I know where you are 'at' though!
    Len

Damn Yankee

You've got time, and you are a LARGE man. Increase your mileage, you'll make it. Don't worry so much about your time right now, worry about running farther. Time it, but don't be checking your watch every 200 meters. Stretch out to two miles, three if you can swing it. I think more mileage more often is the key to your success.

Though no one can go back and make a brand new start, anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending. Carl Bard

Member Since 2008

Shane, My two cents is get off the track and run through the neighborhoods or parks. If you make it a little more enjoyable, you will want to run farther and your speed will improve naturally. Oh yea, get some music with a fast pace to listen to while you run.

SMART Approach

Shane, Do not run all out each time you go out for a run. This indirectly is affecting your ability to build up your aerobic base which is what you need to be able to hold a solid pace for longer. You are running anaerobically pushing yourself to run faster when in actuality you are training. You should never race in training. I know your mindset is "well to get better in this distance I just need to keep running this distance hard and it will get better". Yes, it will improve but not as much as if you develop your aerobic base. World class one mile runners run 80-90 miles per week to build and maintain aerobic base. This allows them to run at a faster pace aerobically vs. anaerobically. Your test is primarily an aerobic event. As others have said, slowly build up your miles at a jogging pace. Try to have one run per week where your gradually build to longer and longer distances at a slower pace. Maybe one day per week do a run where you jog for 2-3 miles and finish the last mile at a faster pace. Any other runs during the week should be at controlled conversational pace. This is training and will make you faster - believe it or not. And, losing weight will make you so much faster.

Run Coach. Recovery Coach. Founder of SMART Approach Training, Coaching & Recovery

Structured Marathon Adaptive Recovery Training

Safe Muscle Activation Recovery Technique

www.smartapproachtraining.com

seeEricaRun

Awesome

Shane-- I don't know what your time frame is to make your PT time, but two suggestions that may help are to utilize the Couch to 5K program available on coolrunning.com (it's here somewhere, too, I think), and/or to try running to my Podrunner podcast to help regulate your time and energy expenditure. I've had emails from listeners who passed their military PT tests because of help from Podrunner (a very rewarding feeling for me, too!). Best of luck to you!
            Sorry about the tangent, but just wanted to say thanks Steve! I've run several runs with you (and the other Podcasting Steve, Steve Runner).

Dave

Shane, You're going to make it. Great advice all around on not focusing so much on your pace or 1 mile time yet. Just extend your runs off the track (I run with music and it makes the time pass). You should also practice some on the push ups and situps. I have to do them for the Army and do them in the evenings while watching TV. Every pound you lose will take something like 2 seconds off your mile time. If you can knock off another 30 pounds or so by March by controlling your diet and logging some slightly longer runs (3-4 miles?), you'll knock a minute off your mile time right there. Hopefully the lifestyle becomes something you want to do rather than have to do. I'll keep you in my prayers. Regards, Dave

I ran a mile and I liked it, liked it, liked it.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

Gig

You've probably already made this change, but I'll say it just in case: drink water. Drinking water will keep you hydrated. It will lubricate your joints. When you think you need a snack, it'll make you feel full. It sounds like you're well on your way. Keep progressing!
                dj steve boyett

Reluctant Scrooge

Sorry about the tangent, but just wanted to say thanks Steve! I've run several runs with you (and the other Podcasting Steve, Steve Runner).
                  Are you kidding? Thank you for listening! Smile
                  Steve Boyett
                  Podrunner: Free, nonstop, fixed-BPM workout music mixes.
                  Podrunner: Intervals - Free, varied-BPM workout music mixes!

Life time runner wannabe

Are you kidding? Thank you for listening! Smile
                    Just wanted to chime in and say that I ran for the first time today to the "True Point of Beginning" mix. Over the top excellent, Steve; it's my new favorite. Sure appreciate your work! Lynda
                    dj steve boyett

Reluctant Scrooge

Just wanted to chime in and say that I ran for the first time today to the "True Point of Beginning" mix. Over the top excellent, Steve; it's my new favorite. Sure appreciate your work! Lynda
                      Well, thank you very much! I didn't mean to hijack Shane's thread here; I hope we can all help him out. Blush
                      Steve Boyett
                      Podrunner: Free, nonstop, fixed-BPM workout music mixes.
                      Podrunner: Intervals - Free, varied-BPM workout music mixes!

Maniac

Shane: I'll leave the advice to others...They certainly know more than I do. I just wanted to give you some encouragement to keep trying. Keep working at it and you'll get there. And don't beat yourself up every time you don't think you're progressing like you should. That won't really help. Just vow to do better tomorrow. Keep working at it man. And keep us updated. -Matt

Marathon Maniac #6740

Goals for 2015:

Run 3 marathons (modified:  Run 2 marathons--Lost Dutchman 02/2015 and Whiskey Row 05/2015)

Run a 50-miler (Ran a 53.8 mile race 11/14/2015)

Run 1,500 miles (uhhh...how about 1,400?)

Stay healthy

Shane40

Thanks man, appreciate that very much.
                          Len

Damn Yankee

BTW Shane, there is an LE group you should join- http://www.runningahead.com/groups/le_runners/ It's just getting going, but you need to pop in and introduce yourself there.

Though no one can go back and make a brand new start, anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending. Carl Bard

Shane40

OMG, I went to run today and kept it at a steady jog. What i found out is that I ran 2 miles without stoping, which is a first. I didnt go balls out like I usually do. Thank you so much and i will continue to job at a steady pace with longer distances. When should I time myself? My test is March 19th. Have to get 17 minutes but would like to get in the 16s for the mile and a half Smile
                              Shane, Do not run all out each time you go out for a run. This indirectly is affecting your ability to build up your aerobic base which is what you need to be able to hold a solid pace for longer. You are running anaerobically pushing yourself to run faster when in actuality you are training. You should never race in training. I know your mindset is "well to get better in this distance I just need to keep running this distance hard and it will get better". Yes, it will improve but not as much as if you develop your aerobic base. World class one mile runners run 80-90 miles per week to build and maintain aerobic base. This allows them to run at a faster pace aerobically vs. anaerobically. Your test is primarily an aerobic event. As others have said, slowly build up your miles at a jogging pace. Try to have one run per week where your gradually build to longer and longer distances at a slower pace. Maybe one day per week do a run where you jog for 2-3 miles and finish the last mile at a faster pace. Any other runs during the week should be at controlled conversational pace. This is training and will make you faster - believe it or not. And, losing weight will make you so much faster.

SMART Approach

OMG, I went to run today and kept it at a steady jog. What i found out is that I ran 2 miles without stoping, which is a first. I didnt go balls out like I usually do. Thank you so much and i will continue to job at a steady pace with longer distances. When should I time myself? My test is March 19th. Have to get 17 minutes but would like to get in the 16s for the mile and a half Smile
                                Shane, Continue to build your time and miles and then do a time trial in mid February. Just as a reference. Focus on pace and don't start too fast. Do one more the week before your event for confidence and pacing experience. I would not do much more as it will take away from your base building on your low miles.

Run Coach. Recovery Coach. Founder of SMART Approach Training, Coaching & Recovery

Structured Marathon Adaptive Recovery Training

Safe Muscle Activation Recovery Technique

www.smartapproachtraining.com