*whimpers* (Read 1034 times)

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Just a thought - maybe this long run was harder than the last because your legs hadn't recovered (even though it may have felt as if they had)? A few coaches (eg Galloway) recommend doing the long run every other week when it gets to 18 miles to allow a full recovery. Have you considered this? What is the longest run you are planning before the marathon?
    Thanks, I wondered that too, Purdey. My long run last week was only a mile shorter, but felt good...but I had also had a scale-back week the week prior and my longest run that week was only an 11 miler. I'll bet that's it. After yesterday my longest runs each week go 13 - 20 - 12 - 20 - 12 - 8 - race. My original plan had been to do 2 20s and a 22 prior to race day, but my knee issues forced me to scale back a month or so ago. If/when I do another marathon I will hopefully start training uninjured and can go to a more aggressive training plan.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Good for you, Zoomy.
      Purdey

Self anointed title

After yesterday my longest runs each week go 13 - 20 - 12 - 20 - 12 - 8 - race.
        That looks perfectly like the Galloway solution! Those long run cut-back weeks will hopefully let you get the most out of your 20 miler. You're going to rock your first marathon Kirsten! Can't wait to hear how it goes.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Thanks--that's kind of what I was thinking, too. What I am following is Higdon's Intermediate I plan. What I had originally been doing was closer to the Intermediate II one.

~ Sarah Kay

pitrunner

That's really incredible!!! Especially considering your recent knee issues. You must feel elated to have found a solution.
            zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

That's really incredible!!! Especially considering your recent knee issues. You must feel elated to have found a solution.
              Thanks! Yep, I just wish I would have tried OTC orthotic insoles months ago! I could have saved myself a lot of pain and frustration if I had. Tongue

~ Sarah Kay

Purdey

Self anointed title

Thanks! Yep, I just wish I would have tried OTC orthotic insoles months ago! I could have saved myself a lot of pain and frustration if I had. Tongue
                Kirsten, I reckon OTC means "over the counter"... but which ones are you using? How do you know if they are right for you? Could they help my shins do you think?

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Kirsten, I reckon OTC means "over the counter"... but which ones are you using? How do you know if they are right for you? Could they help my shins do you think?
                  Yep, over the counter. I got the Superfeet "berry," which are women-specific. Others swear by the green and blue. There is also a guy-specific orange insole. I knew they were right for me from the first 4 miler. The next day I did 17 miles and was able to run most of the run with minimal knee issues. Prior to that my knees would complain by 6 miles in and get progressively worse. My knees may still talk a bit, but don't get nearly as irritated and it generally takes longer for any discomfort to set in. As for the shins, it's worth a try. Are you overpronating? Other insoles worth trying are the Sole or Powerstep brands. I have read good things about them, too. Can you find any of those in the UK?

~ Sarah Kay

Purdey

Self anointed title

Not heard of them in the UK ... but we are always years behind you guys. I reckon I'm over pronating - but not a lot. My arches are normal (maybe even slightly high) and the wear pattern on my shoes is normal (although they do have medial posts so it may be that they are just doing their job). Mostly I think the shin pain is down to increasing mileage too quickly. I'm reduced to doing most of my runs on the treadmill at the moment and, fingers crossed, they seem to be improving. Can't wait to get outside again. I'm going to search for some OTC orthotic insoles..

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Yeah, my arches are a little low, but the wear pattern on the bottom of my primary shoe is right smack-dab down the middle...it's a relatively small post, but I apparently need just a hair more stability. True moderate stability shoes would be probably closer to what I need, BUT they are always so stiff in the forefoot that my arches scream and I end up with peroneal tendonitis issues. There is no perfect shoe for me in production due to my weird stability issues and wide forefoot, but the combination of my favorite shoe + the orthotic insoles really seems to get pretty close.

~ Sarah Kay

Purdey

Self anointed title

Let's hope it keeps working for you. Looking forward to the 20 miler?

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Let's hope it keeps working for you. Looking forward to the 20 miler?
                          Looking forward to it in the way that a person might look forward to a root canal, I think. Tongue Though maybe it won't be so bad since I won't have had a super long run the week before....I hope. Sorta wondering how many gels I should plan to take. I brought 3 with me yesterday, but only used 2. Maybe I should try all 3...?

~ Sarah Kay

ZOOM!!!!!!! Wow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
                            And you know sometimes it gets so painful Just like talking to yourself When everything don't seem to have no rhyme or reason We all go Do do loo do do, do do loo do do Waiting for the sun to shine

Why is it sideways?

You've come such a long way, zoomers. Your whole log looks really righteous. Congrats, girl. You got that marathon in the bag.
                              zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Awww...big thanks to 2 of my 3 favorite Jeffs! Smile

~ Sarah Kay