Forerunner 310XT vs. 210...? (Read 155 times)

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I'm contemplating replacing my 2ish year old 305 (aka 305 #2 -- #1 was a dream for about 3.5 years, until it started to actually fall apart at the seams).  I'm sort of torn between the 310XT and 210, as they are similar in price and have mostly similar features.

I like the form factor of the 210, but I don't really dislike the 310XT -- it's still smaller/slimmer than the 305 and I don't mind that.  I don't know that I like that it's not at all compatible with my bike's speed/cadence/distance sensor, though.  I do have an Edge 500 for the bike...but I also like the idea of having a Forerunner device that I could use indoors on the bike in a pinch, in the event that the Edge is lost/broken.  The 210 would be useless for use with the indoor bike trainer.

I've heard that the 310XT can be flaky and it's older technology.  It seems like the 305 has become less compatible/reliable with my computer/Connect/Interwebs as technology progresses, so this doesn't really surprise me.

Thoughts?

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

~ Sarah Kay

zonykel

FWIW, I got the 310XT and I'm happy with it. But you're right that it's getting a little old. As soon as you start the watch, you see the year 2008. However, I've had no issues whatsoever with compatibility.

There are many pluses to the watch: long battery life, you can display 4 data fields, quick GPS acquisition, on/off switch, waterproof, etc.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

FWIW, I got the 310XT and I'm happy with it. But you're right that it's getting a little old. As soon as you start the watch, you see the year 2008. However, I've had no issues whatsoever with compatibility.

There are many pluses to the watch: long battery life, you can display 4 data fields, quick GPS acquisition, on/off switch, waterproof, etc.

Good to hear.  I do like that it's familiar, too.  I'm happy to hear that GPS acquisition is fast.  It seems like my 305 is slower by the month.  Some days it will grab satellites fast, but those days seem few and far between.  Today was awful.  I finally gave up and started running.  I'd gone nearly a third of a mile before it figured out what the hell it was doing.

~ Sarah Kay

No more marathons

Can't speak for the 310, but I've had a 210 for almost a year and I'm satified.  Had a 205 which had a lot more functions but I don't seem to have any problems doing without.  Of course, it is a garmin - so it could last for years, or for a couple of months.  I had to return my first 210 after 2 weeks, but going strong since then.

Boston 2014 - a 33 year journey

Lordy,  I hope there are tapes. 

He's a leaker!

I like the form factor of the 210, but I don't really dislike the 310XT -- it's still smaller/slimmer than the 305 and I don't mind that.  I don't know that I like that it's not at all compatible with my bike's speed/cadence/distance sensor, though.

The 310XT is compatible with the Garmin GSC-10 bike speed/cadence sensor.  Are you using something else?

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

The 310XT is compatible with the Garmin GSC-10 bike speed/cadence sensor.  Are you using something else?

I meant the 210 isn't compatible...now that I read that it's not real clear.  I blame my 3 hour brick workout earlier today. Tongue

~ Sarah Kay

mikeymike

The 210 is the best running watch I've ever owned and I've worn it as my only running watch and my everyday watch ever since I got it in (I think) March.

But make no mistake, it's a running watch and not built for multi-sport. It's small, simple, very accurate, has a long battery life, acquires GPS fast, and has a lap/interval timer. But it's not fully waterproof (should not be submerged for extended periods) and, as you mention, is not really made for biking.

So the question is whether you want a running watch or a multi-sport watch.

Runners run

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

So I ended up going with the 210 and so far have no regrets.  I like the smaller form factor and how fast it grabs satellites.  Did a duathlon yesterday and kept the 210 on my wrist and the Edge 500 on the bike.  This worked perfectly.  The 210 is really a KISS device -- limited menus and customization of screens, but perfect for simply tracking distance and pace and no wait to power-up.  The $50 rebate upon trade-in of an older Garmin and newer technology made the choice between the 210 and the 310XT pretty much a no-brainer.  Plus Garmin is donating all mailed-in units to GOTR, so big bonus there.

~ Sarah Kay

My turn for questions that have probably already been asked and answered a thousand times... Trusty old 305 finally died, shiny new 210 is just out of the box, charging. The 305 was my 1'st, so this is my 1'st replacement. When I connect it to the computer, will garmin connect freak out and fail to recognize it? Will I have to jump through hoops? Am I better off deleting all things garmin first and starting completely over? And, I very vaguely remember having a lot of trouble getting the 305 to talk to RA, and don't remember how I did it. Very likely I was making it harder than it had to be, because that's what I do.

So, please advise if you are so inclined. Thanks.

A list of my PRs in a misguided attempt to impress people that do not care.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I think I re-uploaded a newer version of Communicator when I first got the 210.  It's worked really well with my Mac.  The only issue I have had with the 210 is that once it got bumped slightly off of the goofy charging clip (there are 5 little pin dealies that all have to be perfectly aligned -- really a stupid design) and somehow discharged itself.  That was irritating, since discharges will eventually shorten the battery life.  I'm now simply disconnecting once it's fully charged to avoid that in the future.  Other than that, I really love how simple and fast the 210 is.  Finding satellites is super speedy.

~ Sarah Kay