40 Historical Chicago Marathon Moments (Read 55 times)

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

You might enjoy this random collection of facts about the Chicago Marathon since 1977. "Promoters were criticized for the high entry fee ($10)".

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/chicagomarathon/ct-chicago-marathon-40-moments-spt-1002-20171005-story.html

Joann Y

That's neat, Led. I forgot about Khalid Khannouchi. I remember reading about him a lot in Runner's World in the late '90s. When I moved to back to Chicago from living in Colorado in 1997, I don't know if it was that year or the next, I remember seeing him out for a jog near where I was going to school at the time. I thought that was so cool and I was so excited. It must have been around marathon weekend sometime. Good memories.

Bert-o

I lost my rama

Marguerite Buist, who finished ninth, said. "The marathon is a race for suckers."

I think this one was my favorite.   Thanks for sharing LedLincoln!

3/17 - NYC Half

4/28 - Big Sur Marathon  DNS

6/29 - Forbidden Forest 30 Hour

8/29 - A Race for the Ages - will be given 47 hours

degregorius

I'm surprised they didn't mention Wanjiru's battle with Kebede in 2010 - that was one of the most exciting races I can recall.

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

Steve Jones winning and breaking the WR in his debut marathon in 1984 with no watch on tops the lot!

I loved his fearless racing style and simplified attitude to running with focus more on effort rather than numbers.

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)