Arg, so frusturated! (Read 557 times)

So I've been having achilles problems, to the point I had to go to PT. So I went and my doctor was inspecting my foot and told me I had a sort of high arch. I was like, wait I'm wearing special $40 arches because the dude at the "specialty running store" told me I overpronate and needed these arches. Lately I haven't been able to run without pain in my achilles, and the other day, on orders from my doc, I ran without the arch supports in my shoes. Guess what, hardly any pain. WTF? Did I cause this injury by wearing these supports? Can that mess up your foot royally? I'm going to keep running w/out the supports and hope that clears up the problem. So I've bought two pairs of shoes for OP and now my doc tells me I just need cushioning shoes. Grr! So anyways, would wrong supports cause achilles tendonitis?
    mommarun

i can relate. i got new shoes when my feet starting hurting. well it kept getting worse. i even had to stop in the middle of a race thinking i had a stress facture. Went to the doctor no stress facture, didn't run for a week. went back to the store to get more stable shoes, within two days my foot was better. crazy
        Ouch, that would suck! But I mean the good thing is I'd much rather have a stupid shoe problem than a serious achilles problem (or a stress fracture in your case)! So I guess in a way thats a good thing Roll eyes

Queen of 3rd Place

Maybe it's time to change running stores. FWIW, I went through a similar situation, except I ended up with a metatarsal stress fracture, turns out I had shoes that were completely wrong for me! Be glad you caught this in time! Arla

Ex runner

Skeeter I had a case of achilles tendonitis too... and when I switched form motion control shoes to nuetral the problem went away... a podiatrist told me that my problem wasn't pronation... that my foot was flexing at the ankle in some other way... forget details... but the gist of it was that the motion control was hindering the natural flexing of my foot at that spot... and putting extra strain on my achilles... if the supports prevented you foot from flexing normally it could have put extra pressure somewhere else.... um achilles... ??? just speculation from a laymen and I didn't spend the nite in a holiday inn...

flatland mountaineer

Kinda wondering if that wasn't the start of my achilles problems also. I did the treadmill video analysis and they moved me up a few notches on the stability scale and that seemed to be when things started feeling not so right and progressed to downright painful after.

The whole world said I shoulda used red but it looked good to Charlene in John Deere Green!!

Support Ethanol, drink the best, burn the rest.

Run for fun? What the hell kind of recreation is that?  quote from Back to the Fut III