Divided Long runs (Read 286 times)

thumshaj

How effective is divided long runs (2 long runs in consecutive days) compared to a single long run in marathon training. e.g. first day 12 km,second day 20 km. Is that sufficiently enough to simulate single long run 26 km?

PRS 10K 00:49:15 HM 1:51:30 FM 4:11:30 

ulikunkel

If you are going to split your long run, do one part of it the night before and the next part in the morning.  That way you carry more of the fatigue over, otherwise it is pointless.  Also consider doing one part faster than the other part.  However, I would still try to get a couple of "real" long runs in.  Physiologically split runs are not as effective as a single long run of at least two hours.

Slow and Steady

Personally I wouldn't do back-to-backs for something as "short" as a marathon, and maybe not even for a 50km (unless it was monstrously hilly). That's something which is probably more valuable for a 50-miler and up. For marathon training I would recommend just practicing single long runs, since the longest run you'll do probably won't exceed 4-5 hours. But on the other hand, back-to-backs can be helpful for learning how to run in a "bonk state" if you don't eat carbs after your first run.

Eric S.

Trail Mix ||| dailymile ||| RA log

Goals: 50km, 50-miler, 100km, 100-miler

Feeling the growl again

How effective is divided long runs (2 long runs in consecutive days) compared to a single long run in marathon training. e.g. first day 12 km,second day 20 km. Is that sufficiently enough to simulate single long run 26 km?

If the long run is supposed to be 32K, and you are splitting it as described, you are not doing a long run.  It does not serve the same purpose of a 32K at all.  a 20K run is also not a 26K run.

People do back-to-back long runs, especially in ultra training, but you'd add a second long run and not be splitting one up.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

SillyC

Maybe I'm wrong, but I thought that the purpose of the back to back long runs in ultra training was to ramp up your ability to run on fat.  The legs get a bit of a rest, so the form isn't as bad as if you went out for a 40 mile run (less injury), but you can't manage to restock your glycogen in one night.

My experience with them has been that on long run 2, I "hit the wall" about 3 or 4 miles in, and tend to feel like I'm a bit hungover, and have to keep eating a bit of something every 30 minutes right from the get go.

But I'm not talking about 12k and 20k.....  I'm talking about 26k and 40k back to back.

But that's for running a lot longer than 26k.....

Why do you want to split the long runs?  It's better than not running, I suppose....

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Maybe I'm wrong, but I thought that the purpose of the back to back long runs in ultra training was to ramp up your ability to run on fat.  The legs get a bit of a rest, so the form isn't as bad as if you went out for a 40 mile run (less injury), but you can't manage to restock your glycogen in one night.

My experience with them has been that on long run 2, I "hit the wall" about 3 or 4 miles in, and tend to feel like I'm a bit hungover, and have to keep eating a bit of something every 30 minutes right from the get go.

You're saying you "hit the wall" 4 miles in to your second long run, and you've had a night's rest before it?

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

You're saying you "hit the wall" 4 miles in to your second long run, and you've had a night's rest before it?

I think SillyC is referring to the figurative, figurative "wall" and not the literal, figurative "wall". None of which should be confused with hitting an actual wall.

Runners run

SillyC

Yeah - the part of the long run where you start to feel crappy and like you have no energy?  And then about 30 minutes later you start to feel good again because you start burning fat rather than glycogen?  That.

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Oh, ok, you're flipping that switch to use fat. Gotcha.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

Um ... eh, nevermind.

Runners run

Oh, ok, you're flipping that switch to use fat. Gotcha.

Where can I buy couple of these switches?
                        TeaOlive

old woman w/hobby

Where can I buy couple of these switches?

Me too,  me too!

steph  

A Saucy Wench

In answer to the original question significantly less effective than running a long run. 

Now what I always liked was a medium long, the day before a long, so like 9 mi on Saturday/18 on Sunday.

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

Now what I always liked was a medium long, the day before a long, so like 9 mi on Saturday/18 on Sunday.

Or better, do the first one at night & the next the following morning. Which is what I just did (8 last night, 18 this morning); I definitely felt the extra fatigue in the LR, which I guess is a good thing. But I could not find that damn switch anywhere, must've left it in my other running pants.

Dave

Feeling the growl again

Yeah - the part of the long run where you start to feel crappy and like you have no energy?  And then about 30 minutes later you start to feel good again because you start burning fat rather than glycogen?  That.

Except it doesn't really happen like that.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills