5K travesty...but I will be back (Read 838 times)

runNC

So...my story in a nutshell... I am pretty new to running... I had run two 5K's in the spring and finished at 20:41 and 20:43 respectively. My goal was to try to get under 20 minutes...so, I started the training routine (8 weeks, speed workouts, long runs, etc.). I signed up for a flat 5k race in Beaufort, NC this past weekend, July 19th. The heat and humidity were outrageous at 90 degrees and seemingly 150% humidity... Dead I started the race I thought at a pretty hard but managable pace, only to notice that my first mile was way faster then intended (5:39). I throttled back a bit and they hosed us down at about the 1.5 mile mark (I was starting to feel heated at this point). At 2 miles my bosy still felt in control but I was fighting the mental anguish telling me to stop (we all get that little voice . At 2.5 miles, I noticed I was in 4th or 5th place, so a second wind told me to run harder...at 2.75 miles, it happened...my head started aching a bit and I looked down at my legs, they were still moving at a pretty good clip but it almost looked as though I was waddling like a duck...right at 3 miles (18:47 time), I thought I was at the finish line and kinda slowed down... then tried to restart when I realized I was not in control of my body (I was hallucinating). A few folks rushed out of the crowd and grabbed my arms, before I knew it I couldn't stand up anymore and they caught me as I stumbled. Quickly paramedics layed me on the sidewalk and they were taking my blood pressure and throwing icy cold towels over my body...unbelievable...after 10-12 minutes of being treated, I slowly regained control over my body, though I was still a bit light headed...I walked to the finish line unassisted and people cheered me crazily as they had seem my will to finish the race... Although goal wasn't officially reached yet, I was overwhelmed with the general sense of humanity and how people really just wanted to see someone "not give up"...love this sport.
    JakeKnight

Great report. I think the worst races always turn out to be the best. This is the one you'll never forget and the one you'll learn the most from and you'll probably go back to the same on next year and run a sub-19:00

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
      -----------------------------

redleaf

Oh gosh - I too applaud your ability to persevere! Congrats on your race!

First or last...it's the same finish line

HF #4362

De-slacking in progress

way to HTFU and finish. Ran a race this weekend also- 88% humidity- alas- my fat butt can't run fast like you. But you taught alot of people a good lesson. HTFU

started running @ age 48 [lost 70#+, quit a 30 year pack/day habit>> ran HM]  Ran a few years then quit. Gained 70#+ back and smoking like before. Time to get healthy again @ 52 years over with the C25K program and beyond again. RE-start date 1-13-14

protoplasm72

...unbelievable...after 10-12 minutes of being treated, I slowly regained control over my body, though I was still a bit light headed...I walked to the finish line unassisted and people cheered me crazily as they had seem my will to finish the race... Although goal wasn't officially reached yet, I was overwhelmed with the general sense of humanity and how people really just wanted to see someone "not give up"...love this sport.
            I would cheer for that too. You earned some serious HTFU points there.

Son, when you participate in sporting events, it's not whether you win or lose; it's how drunk you get. -- Homer Simpson

For somebody who's new to running, it sure sounds like you picked the right place to crash. Glad those nice folks were there to help you out, hope you're none the worse for wear and tear. Definite HTFU points for gittin' back on the horse, way to go!

E.J.
              Greater Lowell Road Runners
              Cry havoc and let slip the dawgs of war!

May the road rise to meet you, may the wind be always at your back, may the sun shine warm upon your SPF30, may the rains fall soft upon your sweat-wicking hat, and until you hit the finish line may The Flying Spaghetti Monster hold you in the hollow of His Noodly Appendage.