The Gym is a Freak Show (Read 1287 times)

I don't get it...does it bother you that they're nude, or that they're old and nude? Because, I thought you were a hockey dude...I know I've been playing team sports since forever, and nudity doesn't bother me in the least. I'm not wrapping a towel to walk 20 feet to the shower - what's the point?

Come all you no-hopers, you jokers and rogues
    We're on the road to nowhere, let's find out where it goes

Maggie & Molly

it's not the walking to the shower - its the sitting around chatting - yuck

"It does not matter how slow you go so long as you do not stop."
      Wisdom of Confucius

HF 4363

Queen of 3rd Place

My favorite type has pencil-thin legs but a reasonably-beefy upper-body. This species always wears a tank or muscle shirt and baggy sweats in an attempt to show off the upper body and conceal the wimpiness of its legs. It will also attempt to give weightlifting advice to any women in the vicinity. Every gym has one of these things show up from time to time, but thankfully they are usually transient.

Ex runner

I'm going to guess former military.

This.

The first time you have to drop a deuce in boot camp;

Sitting on the growler

no walls

no door

15 guys lined up waiting their turn

you learn quickly to stare at nothing, take care of business, and move along

"Famous last words"  ~Bhearn

A Saucy Wench

My favorite type has pencil-thin legs but a reasonably-beefy upper-body. This species always wears a tank or muscle shirt and baggy sweats in an attempt to show off the upper body and conceal the wimpiness of its legs. It will also attempt to give weightlifting advice to any women in the vicinity. Every gym has one of these things show up from time to time, but thankfully they are usually transient.

yes!

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

http://www.buzzfeed.com/julianbrand/best-ad-for-a-boxing-gym-ever-seriously-ever-6eof

I wish that somebody would mic. this guy 24/7 for a couple of weeks.

keeponrunning

I hated these guys.  Which is one reason I don't bother going to the gym and ran in 2+ ft of fresh snow tonight.

Sulphur Springs 50km-- Ancaster, ON-- May 28, 2022

Tally in the Valley 12 hours-- Dundas, ON -- July 30, 2022 (Support SickKids Toronto)

Stokely Creek-- 56km-- Sault Ste. Marie, ON-- Sept. 24, 2022

Maggie & Molly

http://www.buzzfeed.com/julianbrand/best-ad-for-a-boxing-gym-ever-seriously-ever-6eof

this is awesome!!

"It does not matter how slow you go so long as you do not stop."
                  Wisdom of Confucius

HF 4363

This isn't the first post about naked old guys haunting gym locker rooms. So it's a thing?

Oh, it's a thing. Not so much the walking to & from the shower, it is a locker room after all. (So I am equally puzzled by the guys who feel the need to slip their undies on while the towel is still wrapped around them.) But would not hurt to wrap a towel around you when you are standing the the mirror shaving & blow drying your hair for 15 minutes. And at the very least, if you are sitting down on the bench naked, PLEASE PUT A TOWEL DOWN UNDER YOU, thank you very much.

Dave

If I saw someone blow drying their bajingo I would probably barf. 

Just catching up with this thread, possibly my favorite line so far. This one is new to me; I thought guys had a lot of nicknames for their things.

Dave

Feeling the growl again

Gyms and gun ranges - two things I will invest to have my own and avoid the public versions, thank you.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

zonykel

This.

The first time you have to drop a deuce in boot camp;

Sitting on the growler

no walls

no door

15 guys lined up waiting their turn

you learn quickly to stare at nothing, take care of business, and move along

That was my attitude, but some people treated it like it was social hour.

JPF

This is what I imagine malmo to be like only with running.

I don't get it...does it bother you that they're nude, or that they're old and nude? Because, I thought you were a hockey dude...I know I've been playing team sports since forever, and nudity doesn't bother me in the least. I'm not wrapping a towel to walk 20 feet to the shower - what's the point?

See Cherrieruns response.

I thought the rule was if the towel comes off that's fine if you are moving to the shower or a stall.  No issue with that even though most people stay wrapped until they get to a stall or the shower.  Once you become stationary and start chit chatting its a problem.  It seems this rule is forgotten once age 65 is attained.  I swear there were times that the same old dude or dudes were nudely chatting before my workout and also an hour later after the workout...still there, still nude.  Seriously...an hour is long enough that you have time to reach for your clothes and put them on.  Plus they tend to congregate in the way, either in front of the sinks or near the doorways.

I am a hockey player.  No one uses the nasty showers at the rink so it takes out this option.  Our games are so late at night no one lingers anyway, its usually 11 or 12 and people have to get up for work.

Someone should really make an Office Space type movie called The Gym.  There's a lot of material here.

Chantilly75

Not really freaky at the Gym, but I don't understand the people who hold onto the arms of the treadmill for dear life, year after year.

Don't they know how to keep their balance, yet?

"dancing on the path and singing, now you got away,

you can reach the goals you set from now on, every day"

Sonata Arctica