2017 Sub 3 Marathons...and beyond! (Read 403 times)

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Me - I was very happy with my Wednesday tempo workout, although it took a lot out of me. My legs felt dead for the next few days even though I took it easy for those days. It really hit me on my Sunday long run, when I wanted to stop with 9 miles to go. Some of that could have been the very high humidity (dew point at 71) but I think it was still lingering impacts of that workout. It gets back to what we were talking about earlier in this thread: I just pushed through for the sake of mental training more than anything. Before this week, I was thinking about only completing a 2 week taper because my legs have felt so fresh, but this confirmed I will stick with my planned 3 week taper. One more week at 65 miles upcoming this week before taper time! I'm running a half marathon this Saturday at MP as a final tune up.

Day Miles Description
    Mon  -  
    Tue 10.5 Easy plus strides
    Wed 16.0 6E + 4x2T (avg: 6:07) + 2E
    Thu -  
    Fri 10.5 Easy plus strides
    Sat 8.0 Easy
    Sun 21.0 Super humid long run (avg: 7:30)
    Total 66.0 Rolling 12 Week Average: 49.5 

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

weatherboy80

Nice to see this thread humming right along.

Andres:  Congrats on the HM especially after a tough week. Don't think you are that far off from where you were with some mileage/training.

JMAC:  Nice week and really solid T workout on Wed.  I have a 4 X 2 coming up here eventually, but I need to wait until the humidity drops a tad before tackling that one.

Nice to see you Cinnamon!  Nice HM.

Dan:  Huge congrats on the sub 3!!

Watson:  Smart choice on your pacing.  Either way a huge congrats on the podium finish and still a great time.

Swim:  Huge week.  Thanks for joining our thread.  I can learn quite a bit from you faster folks.

IAM:  Similar comment to Swim's.  Thanks for posting here.  Your consistency is to be admired.

Paul:  Super solid week mileage wise and a huge LR!  6 @ MP is still quite solid.

Kram: Nice week.  Hope everything is calming down.

Mark:  Nice time trial and great speed.

Mikkey: Hoping the back sorts itself out.

Dtothe2nd: Huge week.  Looks like we have quite of few folks running some serious mileage this year.

JT: Take your time coming back.  Prayers for you and your family!

My 2nd week of FM training went pretty well.  Happy to get in my first run longer than about 15 miles in over a month with my 18 miler on Sunday.  The weather here has been absolutely brutal with morning low's near 80 so I'm ready for some true fall or winter conditions.  Looks warm right through this week yet again which hurts the quality.  The only other run of substance was my track work on Thursday morning where I ran some 5 X 1K repeats literally in the middle of a monsoon with heavy rain and 25-30 mph winds which was quite fun.  These repeats were obviously a bit slow due to the conditions, but still not bad overall.  Even threw in some 400 m repeats after a short rest which is something Daniels suggests for his higher mileage plans.  I did play hockey again last week, but will be dropping that in favor of some easier mileage for the rest of my cycle.  Have a MP and tempo workout coming later this week, but may have to adjust the pace and duration if the temps continue to be at record levels.  Luckily I have 16 weeks of work left before my goal race.

Weekly Summary
      Monday, Oct 02, 2017 thru Sunday, Oct 08, 2017

<tfoot> </tfoot>
      Day Miles Pace Duration Description Egain Link
      Mon 8.2 7:50 1:04 Start of a windy week and some prayers for Vegas 66 strava
      Mon 5.2 7:26 0:38 Windy PM miles, but not as humid 53 strava
      Tue 6.1 7:51 0:48 Sand blown + downwind strides 64 strava
      Tue     1:30 No subs at hockey again 😂 0 strava
      Wed 10.1 7:59 1:20 Morning Run 20 strava
      Thu 2.4 7:55 0:18 Warm up with Jen and Jon 0 strava
      Thu 6.5 6:28 0:41 More wind and heavy rain! 5 X 1K w/ 3 min jog + 4 X 400R 0 strava
      Thu 2.6 8:27 0:22 Cool down 0 strava
      Fri 11.2 8:12 1:32 Humid Hills 538 strava
      Sat 5.2 7:46 0:40 Yuck + strides 16 strava
      Sun 18.1 7:39 2:18 Muggy LR 🔥 😰 🔥 352 strava
        75.6 8:57 11:16   1109  

1mile: 4:46 (12/20) | 5K: 15:57 (3/21)  |  10K: 33:40 (4/20)  |  15K 51:43 (4/21) | HM: 1:15:03 (12/20)  |  FM: 2:40:30 (1/20)

iamdisappoint

Has anyone here ran the BAA Half before? IAM? I am not sure I would call it 'rolling' as BAA describes .. there are some rollers for sure but there are some almost bordering on climbs too. Conditions added to the challenge with temps low 70s dewpt around 70, humidity mid 80s and windy 15-25 mph. I didn't target this as a race, having ran a solid 20 on Wednesday, but timing was good workout.  $300 for top Masters .. almost pays for the fucking overpriced hotel I ended up staying at because Expedia messed up my original reservation and I found out at 9pm I didn't have a place to stay.

I ran it 3 times in the early 2000s before I was a runner, if that makes any sense. They used a slightly different course then, but I would have described the old course as "rolling", dunno about the new one. A thing I am sure of is that the last couple of days have been shitty for trying to run fast - it's still like being inside an armpit around here. 

Congrats on top masters! If you ever come back for another race, skip the hotel and do airbnb.

https://www.strava.com/athletes/5795019

Swim5599

Some really good stuff going on in here.

Thought I’d share my elite running experience from my Chicago marathon spectating.  My 35 minute flight from flagstaff to Phoenix had the following people on it.  Sitting right ahead of me was Feyisa Lelisa with a snappy 2:04 PR, directly next to him was Matt Fitzgerald hardly an elite runner but probably written the most important books on marathon nutrition.  He’s been training with NAZ elite all summer and broke 2:40 for the very first time.  4 rows up was Aaron Braun and his 2:12 PR.  He led the race for the first half yesterday.  On my flight from Phoenix to Chicago was  Mr.  Diego Estrada with his 2:13 PR but more importantly he’s run 60:50 in the half.  And then the most obscure sighting was actually during the race.  The elite men come through which was awesome, the elite women come through which was also awesome.  So tucked into a group of 2:38 ers I see a guy I recognize but I had to double take and when I did he looked back at me and said “Love the shirt”. As I was wearing an Oregon Track shirt.  Who was it you ask just out for a nice MLR at 6 flat pace?  Matthew Centrowitz obviously.  Nobody around me knew who he was.  Pretty cool I thought.  He looked like he was genuinely enjoying himself.  Anyway keep grinding everyone

HM: 1/17 1:18:53. FM: 12/18 2:46:04 

Joann Y

Some really good stuff going on in here.

Thought I’d share my elite running experience from my Chicago marathon spectating.  My 35 minute flight from flagstaff to Phoenix had the following people on it.  Sitting right ahead of me was Feyisa Lelisa with a snappy 2:04 PR, directly next to him was Matt Fitzgerald hardly an elite runner but probably written the most important books on marathon nutrition.  He’s been training with NAZ elite all summer and broke 2:40 for the very first time.  4 rows up was Aaron Braun and his 2:12 PR.  He led the race for the first half yesterday.  On my flight from Phoenix to Chicago was  Mr.  Diego Estrada with his 2:13 PR but more importantly he’s run 60:50 in the half.  And then the most obscure sighting was actually during the race.  The elite men come through which was awesome, the elite women come through which was also awesome.  So tucked into a group of 2:38 ers I see a guy I recognize but I had to double take and when I did he looked back at me and said “Love the shirt”. As I was wearing an Oregon Track shirt.  Who was it you ask just out for a nice MLR at 6 flat pace?  Matthew Centrowitz obviously.  Nobody around me knew who he was.  Pretty cool I thought.  He looked like he was genuinely enjoying himself.  Anyway keep grinding everyone

I'm just peeking in here. That's pretty freaking awesome!

Marky_Mark_17

JMac- haha yeah I hope we've both timed our run well!!  I really battled through the last few km's of that 28k-er on Sunday and have a few niggles to show for it.  There were times when I wondered how the hell I smashed through 35km with relative ease just a week earlier, and also how the hell am I going to manage 42km?!  Fortunately a work colleague who is also an experienced runner running her debut full marathon at Auckland had the exact same experience on the weekend so we managed to console each other

Slightly tight left high hamstring tendon which has been around for 2-3 weeks now, and this weird soreness on the outside edge of my right foot - which is barely noticeable when running but can get niggly when walking.  Pretty sure it's either peroneal tendon or plantar fascia-related, we'll see what the osteopath says when I see her in the next day or two, she is a bit of a wizard when it comes to figuring this stuff out quite quickly.  I'm at 3 weeks to go now but still had a moderate load for this week (~75km) so no biggie if I have to scale that back.

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr, 1:15:48

Up next: Runway5, 4 May

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

Mark good luck at the osteo let the taper madness begin !

Swim thats a cool story I would be starstruck for sure. I have missed seeing Chicago replay but I see Rupp won in a relatively slow time but Dibaba smoked it and good to see Hassay get the USA record in 2.20. Congrats on that 10 000m TT really fast.

Iam before you were a runner? Must have been when you were below 50 mpw  Just kidding you are so killing it right now amazing mileage and paces and results.

Weatherboy 2nd week in and 75 miles, very nice.

Mikkey yes me in my avatar surfing but havent been out since my son moved to Australia 3 months ago. Surfing and kayakfishing my other hobby are quite bad for my running as they distract me from training by taking my time and energy. They are such fun though Im not likely to give them away. Its the downside of living near a beautiful beach hehe. Must have been great to meet Andres. You didnt run in that race ?

Cinamon nice cash prize ! We had our first marathon for our city last weekend and first female was 3.02 and won $2000.........

Kram thank god somebody is lower mileage than me  . Yes there are plenty of hills/mountains in New Zealand although Im on a coastal strip so have to make a huge 10 min drive to get to some beautiful hills 

Andres were you on holiday in the Uk ? Awesome to meet the Mickster. My brother lives in Brighton where Mikkey is so one day I will get there and Mikkey and I will get Moosemugs at London...........

55+ PBs 5k 18:36 June 3rd TT

" If you don't use it you lose it,  but if you use it, it wears out.

Somewhere in between is about right "      

DigDug2

Hi all - throwing my hat in the ring with a sub-3 goal at Philly on Nov. 19.  I'm 47, male, lifelong off-and-on runner with a decent amount of running and shorter distance racing over the last 8 years or so.  Ran my first road marathon in April (NJ), realistically targeting sub-3, ran 6:40 pace through 19 or 20 miles and then limped to a 3:07 with cramping hamstrings and a pissed off attitude.  This cycle I'm following Pfitzinger's 18/70 pretty closely, so more long and medium long runs; hoping to pace smarter this time.  Ran a recent 1:22:30 half, which I was very happy with, and planning to do a couple more halfs at MP between now and race day.  If I break 3:00, I'm retiring from the marathon and going back to shorter stuff.

Interesting reading everyone's goals and training - best of luck to all!

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

IAM - Very impressive week again...and if it’s 78f and 90% humidity at Richmond then you obviously did something very bad in a previous life! 

Great weeks Paul, Dto, JMac, Weather!

Kram - That’s good you got the Wed/Thur workouts done and hope you feel better next week.

JT - Take care and come back when you’re ready. You’ve always been a great and supportive guy on here.

Joann - So how did you get on at Chicago???

Swim - Nice story and hope you weren’t dribbling too much!  Did you get any selfies?

Marky - Did no-one tell you that niggles during taper is all part of the fun with marathoning?   I’m sure you’ll be ok as it happens to nearly everyone.

Piwi - I can’t believe I haven’t tried surfing as I’m only about 2 minutes from the sea. I was spectating on Sunday, at mile 9 which was reasonably close to the finish line...but with all the barriers up it would’ve been easier to jump onto the course and run the last 4 miles with Andres!

Cinnamon - Holy shit..$300 is a lot of prize money and I hope you spent some of it on a bottle of Champagne! Very impressive training as well and you must be targeting Sub3 at CIM!

DigDug - Welcome. I read your older thread further down the page and you were probably too ambitious at NJ. I think with the longer long runs and MLRs you’ll have a great shot at Sub3 as you’ve definitely got the speed.

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

Marky_Mark_17

Mikkey - funnily enough JMac did just give me a lesson in Taper 101 on the sub-1:30 HM thread.  Man I am such a noob!

* Net downhill course

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

Mikkey - funnily enough JMac did just give me a lesson in Taper 101 on the sub-1:30 HM thread.  Man I am such a noob!

You’ve done the hard work and winding down now...so believe in your training and take a look back at all those workouts you did during your cycle...because it’s easy to forget during the taper!

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

Joann Y

Joann - So how did you get on at Chicago???

Ha! It went well! Had a goal of <3:38:30 (previous pr from last year was 3:41:49). Was a little warm but managed a PR and BQ-17 something with a faster negative split second half. Finished in 3:37:22. I wrote a bunch of details in my log. I don't want to bore anyone with the details. Blah blah blah, I drank lots of water so as not to overheat, played some mental tricks on myself, pushed at the end. All that good stuff. happy as hell. Smile

iamdisappoint

piwi: I had a brief encounter with running in my early 20s, when my sister wanted someone to run the BAA half with. I ran it with her 3 years in a row. I think all of the "training" for those 3 years and the races adds up to < 125mi. Our way of doing this was to run like 5mi at 8 minute pace, then death march it in. Ahh, to be in my 20s again. Anyways, I didn't start training even semi-competently, by which I mean "running at least 3x/week" until my mid-30s. 

joann: Congrats!

marky_mark: I might need a pointer to that taper 101 thing. I suck at tapering, every time.

weatherboy: Love the monsoon workout. I love the "fuck it, this is bananas, but I'm going to make it happen" runs.

digdug: With a 1:22 HM and 18/70 reasonably executed, you should be a lock for sub3 in reasonable conditions. If you add anywhere, add to the LRs, as it's just endurance that stands between you and the result that you want.

swim: Awesome story Smile Must have been so bizarre to recognize Centro and have no one else get it. I saw some video of him jogging, it looks like he's running 9min pace or something.

jmac: 4x2mi @ 6:07 is a hell of a workout - are you aiming for something like 2:52-2:53? I was occasionally doing that kind of workout a smidge faster in 2016, and I ended up at 2:49.

https://www.strava.com/athletes/5795019

Marky_Mark_17

Joann- congrats!  PR day is always a good day!  I'm always envious of those big races in the US and Europe, would love to do one of them one day.

Me - well that was definitely a first instance of Taper Madness on my part.  My osteo took all of about 10 seconds to figure out I'd managed to lock up my cuboid bone and after some of the usual fun (e.g. knuckles down the arch of the foot), managed to unlock it.  No big deal!

* Net downhill course

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

cinnamon girl

IAM- I was going to drive down the morning of, so getting a place to stay was last minute Saturday. I tried Airbnb first but they never responded. They changed the course in 2010 and reversed it with most of second half is uphills. I tried to upload Garmin data but I can't seem to figure out how to do that in RA. About 400ft gain. Seems like a lot for a 'rolling' HM. Fine if over 26.2 but.

Piwi: 2000! Wow! Nice cash!! Geez. And you're making me feel guilty for not having picked up surfing while I lived in San Diego.  I guess I have 4 days left to try. Ha. And YES I like it !!.. you and Mikkey get MM in London! As Colefund wound say.. EPIC !!

JMac - have a great week and you get a good last MP run in! Maybe pick it up the last 5k?

Weatherboy - does it get cooler there ever?? Ugh.

Mikkey - positive vibes your way! But you've done this enough I shouldn't worry. CIM will be what it will be.

So BAA half was 2 1/2 min off my PR - and is a PW since I've started 'training' in 2010 but I just shouldn't think about that, right? Lol.