2010 Goal of Sub 3:00 marathon (Read 8721 times)

DoppleBock

btw.. what do the folks at the YMCA say about regularly throwing 20+ down on the treadmill?? Look at that guy!?!

Sorry - I am in year end and not here much right now

I do not think they ever know - I did 54 miles on the TM - Just under 7 hours of running, but with shirt changes and water / fuel stuff - around 8 hours of time.  People come and go, come and go, come and go.  The wheels on my bus just keep going round and round.

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

DoppleBock

I have taken a bunch of time off again - Today I ran for the 1st time this week - 4 miles

Sub 3:00 is out, I am just going to enjoy the day running with my sister.  I think I can get her home in 4:20.  Her PR is 4:29.  Her issue to running faster is understanding nutrition.  I wish I could secretly infuse her with 800-1000 calories of Endurox 3 hours pre-race.

In her younger years in the Navy, she was a sub 8 minute for the 1.5 mile test - trains all her long runs @ 8:00 pace, so a 3:50 BQ is in her - just need to make her believe.

I am jealous of everyone great training.

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

spinach

My knee kept me out of the Icebreaker Instep Indooor marathon last weekend, but even if my knee were okay the ice we had last Saturday would have kept me from getting there.  I guess it just wasn't to be. 

I can still feel something in my knee but I will try to run again this weekend.  I will be taking it easy for the next several weeks, hoping the knee won't bother me,  before I will need to start up my serious training for the Lake Wobegon in May. 

kcam

Spinach and DB - keep the faith guys.

PS - funny that ice would keep one from making it to the Icebreaker Marathon!

Hi guys.  Thought I'd post this weeks workouts.

Mon. 5.75 at 7:44 avg pace

Tues. 6.35 at 7:29's

Wed. 10.15 hilly course 7:43's

Thurs. a.m. 5.75 at 7:27's; p.m. 5.75 at 6:50's.  fastest 6:10

Fri. 10 hilly course 7:11's

Sat. 20   cold and windy 7:48's

63 total miles

ksrunr All American 10K Feb. '10 Cowtown Half marathon Feb. '10 Boston '10

Hello gang

DB - change my race from Boston to Glass City (4/25)

I wont make it to Bean Town this year but am shaping up to make a run at this sub-3

Base building phase near complete and I believe Jan 2010 is my biggest month yet which followed a not too shabby Dec 2009

Yesterday I ran an indoor 2 mile time trial in 11:31 (spilts of 5:41/5:49)

There's room for improvement in there now with about 12 weeks to go

el Jeffe

I have an easy 5k this morning, which will bring me up 450km for January, my highest monthly total ever by nearly 100km! 8 runs over a half marathon and 3 runs over 30k this month. The 100k/week thing is pretty new to me since I come from a triathlon background and normally would run only 60k/week, but I am noticing some good improvements particularly late in my long runs. No injuries, and looking forward to building up my speed in February.

Things are well on track for sub 3! 

Bad Bad 10k yesterday.

Freezing hard rain,  big headwind for mile 1, 5,6.    Legs had no juice, not used to the volume and it was just overall miserable. 

3rd overall with 38:40.   

Perhaps it would be wise to schedule races on cut back weeks. 

Pretty stout 10k in those conditions.   Tlhis can only make you stronger.

ksrunr All American 10K Feb. '10 Cowtown Half marathon Feb. '10 Boston '10

Monday will be my first test run after taking two weeks off to let my Achilles rest.  I've been doing eccentric calf lower stretches and icing everyday.  The Achilles is definitely a lot less tender than two weeks ago, but it's clearly not back to normal.  From all my readings, it looks like this will be about a 12 week recovery if I'm smart.  My runs this week will be like the Beastie Boys' lyric, "Slow and Low, that is the Tempo."  I bought some new shoes that are actually a closeout brand that I wore before with a higher heal.
                      bhearn

Bad Bad 10k yesterday.

3rd overall with 38:40.   

That's bad? Especially under those conditions, that seems pretty auspicious for sub-3.

Don't like seeing all the injury reports.  I hope you guys take care of yourselves and heal quickly.

Yesterday I ran my first race since a disappointing 30k in November.  It was a Half-Marathon Trail run over some pretty rugged, bumpy, terrain.  I had a blast on this course and was really happy with my results.  (5th. OA)  Trained right through this but ran hard to try to see where I'm at in training.  Had a decent month of training in December and followed it with my highest monthly mileage in January (by about 2 miles).  Down to four weeks before my marathon attempt so I plan on a tough week this week then figure out what do with the rest of the time.  I probably won't taper much as I'm not sure how much benefit I get out of that.

Right on Hereford...

That's bad? Especially under those conditions, that seems pretty auspicious for sub-3.

+1

Looks like a solid effort and great result. Compared to your other PRs at 8k and longer (at least the ones listed here), it's by far your best race.

By the way, I had a 10k PR of only one second faster (38:39) last year and then ran Chicago in 2:58. So consider yourself on track for sub-3, without a doubt! Take heart knowing you could have run even faster on Saturday with better conditions and rest.

roots - that's very good 2 mile time trial. 

amcniece - the 10k time was not too bad under that type of conditions.

I have registered for the Chicago Marathon.  So, I am officially working towards a sub 3 in 9 month time.

Before that, I am going to run a number of races, starting this Sat, the Kaiser SF half.  My legs are tired now after running 93 miles last week. 

So, my dilemma is should I taper for this half and try to run a good time?  Or should I think long term and just keep training.

The Kaiser SF half should be a pretty fast course, great for PRs.  But I only had 3 good weeks of training after CIM (early Dec) due to recoveries, flu, and stormy weather here.  And I am not in good racing shape yet.

roots - that's very good 2 mile time trial. 

amcniece - the 10k time was not too bad under that type of conditions.

I have registered for the Chicago Marathon.  So, I am officially working towards a sub 3 in 9 month time.

Before that, I am going to run a number of races, starting this Sat, the Kaiser SF half.  My legs are tired now after running 93 miles last week. 

So, my dilemma is should I taper for this half and try to run a good time?  Or should I think long term and just keep training.

The Kaiser SF half should be a pretty fast course, great for PRs.  But I only had 3 good weeks of training after CIM (early Dec) due to recoveries, flu, and stormy weather here.  And I am not in good racing shape yet.

I say go for it. Take the taper and go in with some fresh legs. A little cut back shouldn't hurt your training.

Current Goals: Run and stuff