Why am I so nervous?! (Read 839 times)

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I have been stressin' over the run I am about to do. My longest run ever by 15 minutes. So far I have run 2:45 for a grand total of just over 14.5 miles. Today I could possibly hit 16 miles in 3 hours. And I'm freaked-out by this. I don't know why. I've been training carefully for over a year, but this will be my last long run before my 25k race in under 2 weeks and probably my longest run for '07. I'm still nervous. I think having been sick the last few days has me feeling like this is beyond my abilities, but today I woke feeling great with only a little bit of sneezing--pretty standard for this time of year. I keep thinking "what kind of nut goes out and runs for 3 hours non-stop?" I could be sitting and watching mindless daytime TV or shopping while my kid is in school. WTF is wrong with me?! Instead I'm planning to go out and run...and not even because anyone is chasing me. And I don't even really NEED to run 16 or so miles...the race is only 15.5. Am I totally flippin' neurotic, or is this a sign that I'm a "normal" runner type...? Tongue k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

I keep thinking "what kind of nut goes out and runs for 3 hours non-stop?"
      *lol* Seriously, what the heck are we running from? AND...why does it feel so good to just keep on running? I guess once we get it in our head that we are going to reach a certain distance and/or time we just don't stop. It's a runner's thing (stolen from "It's a Jeep Thing"). I'm jealous of your long run planned for today. Smile

Michelle

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

The really funny thing is that 5 miles used to scare me...then 10. Now these distances are considered "easy" runs for me. It's all relative, I guess. Right now I just have that whole fear of the unknown thing. Plus my last long run (14.5 miles) was pretty miserable--but that was mostly the result of shoes without enough stability, so by the last 4 miles or so I was hurtin' (PF symptoms that seem to have gone mostly bye-bye with more stable shoes). k

~ Sarah Kay

Yesterday I was talking to a friend about that very thought. How now when we talk about runs, we can put together words like ONLY, and JUST with distances like 5 and even 10!! Not so much for me with the 10, but anything under 10 I view as an "only". Thinking back to the day when I was excited to make it to 3 miles, and that felt like it took forever. Our running ability gets messed with as soon as those little annoying factors play a part in our run, and I hate that. If it weren't for things like blisters, or stomach issues, there are times when I'm sure our body would be just fine to keep chugging along.

Michelle

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Yup. And I was looking back at my log from when I first joined RA almost a year ago and chuckling at my times. I have easily cut 2 minutes off of my average pace since then. If only I could see that kind of progress in the next year, but I think cutting one minute off in that time would be a more reasonable and attainable goal. Wink k

~ Sarah Kay

Yup. And I was looking back at my log from when I first joined RA almost a year ago and chuckling at my times. I have easily cut 2 minutes off of my average pace since then. If only I could see that kind of progress in the next year, but I think cutting one minute off in that time would be a more reasonable and attainable goal. Wink k
              Now get out there and do your 3 hour run! The next post I want to see from you is telling us how great you felt knocking out 16 miles Big grin

When it’s all said and done, will you have said more than you’ve done?

Saturday was my longest run ever!! 18!! And I was very nervous... I have only been seriously running since January and am amazed at how far i've come. Saturday was tough, though. Ran the first 12 or so non-stop at about 9:30/10 min/mile pace. Then stopped at a Shell station to pick up some water/gatorade (planned stop). Started back up again, and ran the next 3 at about 10:30/11 min/mi. Sun came out and I could start to feel it in my legs. At about 15 mi, had to stop at a busy intersection before going up a faily steep hill. Needless to say, my legs decided it was time to walk. So I walked up the hill and didn't feel a bit guilty, knowing that I would probably walk a little in the Marathon. Crested the hill and started "running" the home stretch. 3 hrs was a long time to be running, but I was happy when I was done. Found out that my mp3 player can last that long and that I can stomach gu pretty well, used 3 on the run (still tastes awful). Knowing that the marathon is another 8+ miles is still daunting, but as I look back I never thought I could have ran 8 miles let alone 18, so I know if I will be able to do 26.2. Just might have to dig a little deeper to 'ger-r-done'.
                  Kirsten, I still get nervous about my long runs! This last one was the first time in a long time I wasn't race jittery the night before. But last year and early in this years training, every Friday night before my long run, I was a nervous wreck, couldn't sleep, race jittery! I don't know why either? probably the fear of, can I really do it? do I really want to do it? why the hell AM I doing this!? you can do this. you will. you've already run 14.5 right? what's 1.5 more? that's like...another 10-15minutes right? They're just minutes. You CAN do it!

Jennifer mm#1231

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Ok, so I didn't make a full 16...at least not in one try, LOL! Went almost a half mile out and then realized that my NB Bonita running skirt is NOT compatible with my Camelbak (who was it that had that issue with it riding up and getting stuck under their Camelbak? I had the exact same issue), so back home to change to my older NB skirt, which doesn't have that problem (good thing I tested my newer skirt out before my big race, huh?! Too bad, 'cause my newer skirt is more flattering, but on race day all that matters is clothing that functions). Then I went back out and ran about 14.75 miles before I had to stop to get more to drink (only put about 24oz in my Camelbak--next time I will fill it closer to full). Of course, after stopping to drink my last mile was stiff and painful. Actually, the last 4 miles or so weren't real pleasant, as I was having chub-rub issues. Damn, I wish I didn't have the pudgy inner-thigh thing going on. I think the only thing that wouldn't give me this problem would be to wear long pants or some sort of longer lycra short. I even used Bodyglide, which only helped for about the first 10 miles or so. I've never been so crampy after a run, either. My calves and feet are pretty angry with me at the moment. I'm really not sure at the moment how I could ever contemplate a full marathon. I think this 25k might be the death of me. Anything over 2.5 hours seems to be my limit.... Tongue k

~ Sarah Kay

My dogs are fast, not me

You rock, Kirsten! You've come so far in the past year. I'm totally inspired.

Robin

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

You got this one out of the way, despite skirt issues and what-not. You've gotten the kinks worked out -- this was your dry run. You are well-trained and ready to have a great race in 2 weeks. Big grin Cheers, Jeff

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

You rock, Kirsten! You've come so far in the past year. I'm totally inspired.
                          Second this!!

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

Why is it sideways?

Just checked out your log. You are so ready! Nice to see there haven't been any "snow/ice/slush" runs recently!!

Dog-Love

Hey zoom zoom...go out and have fun with that 25 K. You have come so far and you are going to keep going! Wish I could see the smile on your face 5 minutes after crossing the line! YEA! And where you are at now is where I want to be in 3 months. And you got there through that nasty winter. Have fun with each km S
                              Run like you are on fire! 5K goal 24:00 or less (PR 24:34) 10K goal 50:00 or less (PR 52:45) HM goal 1:55:00 or less (PR 2:03:02) Marathon Goal...Less than my PR (PR 4:33:23)
                              zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Nice to see there haven't been any "snow/ice/slush" runs recently!!
                                Ha, no joke! Our weather is so wacky...just a couple of weeks ago I was running in miserable cold, again, and today it was ~70ยบ, sunny, breezy, and gorgeous. Of course, in the time I took to get my shower in the sky went dark and it's now raining. Thanks everyone! Now I am looking forward to the next week-and-a-half of taking it a bit easier to rest up for the big race! Big grin k

~ Sarah Kay