First marathon 5 weeks away, getting weary (Read 204 times)

MarathoninginMT

Amazing and inspiring.  I've run 19 and with 4-5 weeks to go, it is normal to feel the accumulated fatigue.  Take care of yourself with rest whenever your busy life lets you.  Definitely work on fueling with gels, etc.  There are so many different types - it is really a personal preference thing.  You can even fuel with real foods (PB&J, raisins, etc.)  The gels and chews are most convenient but if your needs require something different don't be afraid to experiment.  Fueling is so much more important in a marathon than a half.  Without taking in calories every hour, you will hit the wall so use the next few weeks to dial in what works for you.  I am sugar sensitive so Hammer products work well for me.  Find out what liquids they serve on the marathon course and try that - usually Gatorade Endurance.

I'm so impressed.  Hang in there and enjoy the marathon.

danielle2121

I just ran my first marathon this past Sunday using the same training plan. The most I had run was 18.8-- my watch ran out of battery and I just turned around...  a little too early. I finished in 6:33 and I was thinking I should definitely be able to do 5:30... but again like you, the didn't die thing was my main goal (and I hit the wall at 16 and thought I was going to die and wanted to). So, I felt the same exact way as you around this point in training. I was exhausted and starving. I just wanted to eat and sleep on repeat, during the taper weeks, this went away (for the most part)... The mental aspect is really the hardest part of a first marathon, because you don't know if you can do it, and I understand that now. You'll have that in the back of your mind until you cross the finish line. If you do the training, you'll be able to complete it. Just make sure you don't start out too fast and you have your nutrition under control. I started out way too fast and paid for it. Good luck and you're going to be so freakin proud of yourself!

BigDaddyJoe

That is awesome, congrats on your first marathon!  I definitely know about starting too fast.  I did that at my last half marathon and hit a wall around 11 miles and could hardly walk.  I've been so slow lately - I did 10.5 miles the other day, and it took me longer than either of my half marathons.  I hope fresh legs from the taper will bring me back some speed, because it's really suffering lately.

The miracle isn't that I finished, the miracle is that I had the courage to start.

I look my best blurry!

That's right!  Trust your program and as they say " the hay is in the barn" on race day!

I like what you said there - "the whole premise of marathon training is to adapt to fatigue."  That actually makes a lot of sense.  I guess I just need to trust in the process, it just helps to hear that other people have been in the same place as me.

Which Marathon are you running??

And for my last marathon (back in September) I seemed to be totally fatigued for the last 6 or 7 weeks to the point my wife tried to get me to take multiple days off for rest adn recovery.     When my taper hit, I progressively felt better and better and by marathon day I felt great..

It'll work for you too.......these days of 'Cumulative Fatigue' are very difficult.....if they were easy all the fat people in the office could do it..

Hand In there......you've got this one....

Champions are made when no one is watching

I haven't tried any carb loaded drinks, any recommendations?  I've been using the GU gels and GU chomps, but they really haven't been enough.  Food intake wasn't an issue for the half marathons, I was fine, but I worry about the full.  I'm scheduled for an 18 mile run this Saturday, so I'd like to try out some different options.  Thanks.

accelarade baby, accelarade !    at least thats what I use because it has protein !!      we dont just burn carbs when running, we also use up protein/fat,.  energy comes from 3 sources , varying % depending on what you are doing.    Bigdaddy, keep your thoughts on having only 3 weeks of training left before taper last 2 weeks.  keep at it & as Philippedes said  you will be fresh & ready to go come Marathon day.

BigDaddyJoe

I'm doing the New Jersey Novo Nordisk marathon in Long Branch NJ on May 1.

Which Marathon are you running??

The miracle isn't that I finished, the miracle is that I had the courage to start.

BeeRunB

OK, I'm training for my first marathon, using Hal Higdon's Novice 1 training plan.  I have 5 weeks to go.  The past week I've gotten really weary.  Even my short runs have become harder and super slow.  I'm starting to get nervous and concerned.  I don't feel like getting up early to do them.  I've pretty much stuck to the schedule, but a couple of days I pushed the snooze button a couple too many times and had to cut the runs short because I had to get the kids ready for school and myself ready for work.  I've done all of the long runs on the weekend though.  Is it normal to go through this?  Should I be concerned?  Am I not ready for the marathon (I can still switch down to the half marathon, which isn't a problem for me)?  Opinions would be greatly appreciated.

Take 4-5 days off. You'll be fine. Your body needs recovery, not more pummeling. I felt the same way about 5 weeks out from my 3rd marathon, and I took 5 days off, then resumed a lighter schedule, and ran my best marathon and go into Boston for the first time. Recovery will never hurt you. Good luck. 

BigDaddyJoe

I'll consider it, but I'm supposed to do 18 miles tomorrow, and don't want to skip that.

Take 4-5 days off. You'll be fine. Your body needs recovery, not more pummeling. I felt the same way about 5 weeks out from my 3rd marathon, and I took 5 days off, then resumed a lighter schedule, anotherd ran my best marathon and go into Boston for the first time. Recovery will never hurt you. Good luck. 

BeeRunB

I'll consider it, but I'm supposed to do 18 miles tomorrow, and don't want to skip that.

That's the point. When I took the time off, I skipped a log run and never made it up. A lot of people get to the marathon sick , injured and overtrained because they get obsessed with a schedule and ignore the signals from their body. Listen to your body. Whatever you decide, good luck!

BigDaddyJoe

I did the 18 miles, actually felt pretty good, finished in about the same time as my awful 16 miles last weekend.  Only 2 more weeks until my taper starts, I'm gonna try to gut through the next 2 weeks as best as I can.

That's the point. When I took the time off, I skipped a log run and never made it up. A lot of people get to the marathon sick , injured and overtrained because they get obsessed with a schedule and ignore the signals from their body. Listen to your body. Whatever you decide, good luck!

Melianna

Stick to the schedule. Listen to your body. Running a marathon is truly an experience of a life time! …it also is an addiction!

Melianna

Co-owner of Running On The Wall

Dream Maker

Bad days and bad weeks happen. You'll be fine! Smile