Hip Pain ( after fall) (Read 554 times)

Hi All I was in an inter-club 3 mile road race about three weeks ago. It was a late run and as we started the rain came down in a deluge. About 2.5 miles into the race, as I neared a corner I trod on a metal pavement (sidewalk) utility cover and my legs were whipped away from me. I was going at 100 % run rate and as I hit the deck, landing on my forearm (luckily not elbow) and my hip and leg. The cuts and bruising have now gone down on my arm and there is no visible injury on my hip or leg now although the swelling has gone down. I was limping for about 10 days and now it has improved but I do get terrible pain from the side of my leg to the left of the quadricep and the tip of my femur is very tender to the touch. Sometimes when I walk may leg just gives way under my weight. OK, OK, I am probably going to get told off for this Roll eyes but I am running on 3 x 5-6 milers a week but I am thinking it is just general bruising I could get away with it. Friends and colleagues say I should get it checked out but after 3 weeks I feel the doctor will just turn me away Confused Any ideas on how to alleviate these pains.

Jerry
    A runners blog-updated daily

Chicago 26.2 07

I think the only cure is rest. I have had a similar injury for 6 weeks now only my pain is localized in the Glute. Rest seems to be the only cure. Biking and swimming may help you keep your cardio fitness until you can run comfortably again.
        Thanks for the reply, I had a feeling someone would say that Sad. It is sssooooo frustrating that I have been training up for this month with 3 races in as many weeks. I had a gentle 4.5 mile run with the Club tonight and it was a bit tender but after a good hot bath it is quite comfy. I'll see how it feels in the morning. I have promised myself this big race (to me, not distance Big grin) on Sunday and will rest up for a week waylaying a short road race next week and hopefully get better for the last big race I have on 23/9/07. I have been looking around the web and discussing it with the guys at the club and we all reckon it must be a bruised bone and hadn't realised that another person in the club did exactly the same as me in the same race and has also got a bruised hip Shocked

Jerry
        A runners blog-updated daily