The Politics of Eating (Read 779 times)

Why is it sideways?

Good read. Thanks for posting that. I've never been a big fan of the "farm bill", but I think I'm going to write an email to my representative today.

When it’s all said and done, will you have said more than you’ve done?

My brother and his fiancee just moved to Switzerland and they noticed that corn is super expensive there - you can't even find frozen corn easily in the grocery store. So guess what - no high fructose corn sugar. They commented that without "changing" the way they ate, they both lost about 10 lbs in the first month or so - I think they actually had to go clothes shopping. (Both are and were more or less a normal, healthy weight to begin with.) Other observation: serving sizes. You go into a 7-11 here and buy a coke you get something that is huge. I was shocked at how "tiny" the bottles of soda looked compared to what I am used to. And the candy bars. I didnt eat out more than a couple times so I cant comment on restaurant portions (I had a couple huge ice-cream cones!), but I think we really do super-size everything, or at least many things, thinking more is better.
        . So guess what - no high fructose corn sugar. They commented that without "changing" the way they ate, they both lost about 10 lbs in the first month or so - I think they actually had to go clothes shopping. (Both are and were more or less a normal, healthy weight to begin with.)
        Two things I check labels for - "partially hydrogenated" and "HFCS" - it makes grocery shopping a little difficult at times.It's amazing the number of so called "heart healthy" or "whole grain" products that still contain 1 or both of these. Thanks for the link.

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the number of moments that take our breath away...(unkown)

Go With The Flow
        Thyroid Support Group

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

It drives me absolutely bonkers that my mom (an RN, for pete's sake) and sister think that those kids' "fruit snacks" are healthy. I guess my nephews eat these things ALL the time. My mom admitted that she knows there is little fruit in them. I recently told her that the worst part isn't the lack of fruit, but the overload of HFCS. Given how many diabetics are in our family, I'd avoid that kind of stuff at all cost. When Dane wants a sweet, chewy snack we give him dried fruit. Because he's never really been given fruit snacks and fruit juice he doesn't crave those nutritionally shallow sweets. I avoid buying canned fruit that is sweetened with anything more than juice, too (and drain the juice off). Edited because I can't type/spell in the AM...

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

The words used are meant to deceive. "vegetarian chickens" are chickens fed commodity corn. Chickens are natrually meant to scavenge gran and bugs. Bugs are not vegetarian. "organic" could still be a farming method that rapes the earth on an industrial scale, just without chemicals. "free range" means that the animal has access to a tiny corner of the world, regardless of whether they actually use it (they almost never use the access). "cage free" means that there are no cages, even if the animals are packed together tightly in a shed with no more room to live in that a chicken in a shoe box. "corn fed" means that the animal is fed corn, which is NOT the normal feed for most animals, and can directly make cattle sick. Sick cattle require antibiotics on a traditional industrial farm or sacrifice on an industrial organic farm. Antibiotics breed resistance and may taint the beef or milk. Sacrifice means the animal lived a life of industrial hell for naught. and this, from a student of mine - HFCA? "HyperFat Child Syndrome"
              Tell ya what, until things change I'll be making my kids lunches! I have to say I'm really happy with the twins kindergarden center. They don't allow anything BUT water for the kids to drink while there and all food is to be "healthy" (of course that's up to the parents for the most part). There is a no candy at school policy.

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

shonan marathon, girl

I live in Japan. It's the same here as in Europe. Everything is small sized at 7-11's, supermarkets, also at restaurants too. I hardly eat out, but US fast food is catching on here. They recently opened a Krispy Kreme doughnut shop in Tokyo and there was a 1 1/2 hour line to get in the shop! Fads are quick to catch on here but don't last that long fortunately. It seems like it is a never winning battle with these food manufacturers and their unhealthly mass produced foods. Definitely, read the labels before you buy anything! I am sure that diabetes and obesity will be on the rise here in Japan too. The biggest problem I think is that people have forgotten how to do old fashioned home cooking.

next race SHONAN MARATHON nov 3rd, 2012, OSAKA MARATHON nov 25th, i am aiming for nyc!

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Tell ya what, until things change I'll be making my kids lunches! I have to say I'm really happy with the twins kindergarden center. They don't allow anything BUT water for the kids to drink while there and all food is to be "healthy" (of course that's up to the parents for the most part). There is a no candy at school policy.
                  Pam, we were SO happy when we toured the Montessori charter school that Dane is on the wait-list for. The director said they have a no-sweets policy. Kids bring their own lunches, but the school frowns upon candy and other sweet junk/drinks in the guise of food. The school that we have him enrolled at for next Fall (also a public charter school with an emphasis on Fine and Performing Arts) has a similar policy. I'm very happy to see these schools taking a firm stance on having kids eat healthy during the school day.

~ Sarah Kay

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

Bottom line as far as what you can do to eat healthy -- stay on the perimeter of the store!

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Bottom line as far as what you can do to eat healthy -- stay on the perimeter of the store!
                      Yep. Big grin

~ Sarah Kay