Running in the Rain! (Read 1182 times)

I have to admit to bailing on a half marathon this morning. It was 49 degrees and pouring rain. I got down to the start, and just couldn't see doing it. I am pretty slow these days (older and slower....), have done many, many races and 20 years ago would not have bailed, but I just didn't feel like spending 2 plus hours in the cold rain. I went to the gym and did 6 miles on the treadmill and weights. This was a BAD rain- not a gentle drizzle. Plus- there was lightening. Oh well.
    Was this the Tom King 1/2? I was there. It was my first half! It was a lot of rain at the start, but got better by the time you hit the greenway. On the way back it was just a drizzle. Great day. Wish you could have stuck it out, but I even thought that at $35.00 for the race I may just bale too. Smile
      I have just got back from 11 miles in the pouring rain and I have to admit i really enjoyed it ! I think the best advice is dont even try and keep dry as it wont happen. I ran in shorts and a short sleeved top as anything else would just get wet , heavy and uncomfortable - after 2 miles you are as wet as you can get so just get stuck in and enjoy it. The only thing that did worry me is what will a good soaking do to my custom orthotics? - they seem to be ok. Get out there and enjoy it. Nev
      People already think I'm crazy to run in the first place. Running in the rain? I'd have to keep it a secret - they'll ship me off to the loonie bin! Clowning around Shocked

Suffering Benefiting from mature onset exercise addiction and low aerobic endorphin release threshold. Hoping there is no cure.

Yes, I bailed on Tom King! If it had been my first half, I probably would have stayed. The lightening wasn't a big draw, either. Congrats on your run!

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

uncontrollable

Body glide on my toesies. Agree - no cotton. Otherwise - enjoy the challenge of the extra weight of all your gear being wet, your next dry run will feel easier & lighter! I do wear a light water resistant windbreaker when it's cold so my core stays warm enough. Inevitably I do many "pick-ups" where there are big puddles & a car approaching - it's fun to try to beat out the car from sending that cascade on top of you!

peace

Personally, I love it when it is raining. My teammates think I am crazy, but I don't really care. Embrace the rain, feel the rain, love the rain! Big grin I actually just wear the same thing as always, a sweatshirt and sweatpants. If you don't mind getting soaked, then go for that, cause the waterproof stuff gets expensive...
            PRs: 1000: 3:01 1 Mile: 4:55 2 Mile: 10:55 2009 Goals: Sub 4:50 mile, 2:50 1000 meter, Good first real XC season