cheapknockoffs.com (Read 4718 times)

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

It almost looks like someone alreaady has cheapknockoff.com, but what about http://www.runningknockoff.com/...?

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

va

Hi Eric Smile: I am not in marketing, but "cheap"and "knockoff" have negative connations to me. I am very interested "inexpensive" "high-quality" running gear, and for me, "high-quality" means it looks good and is comfortable, for a long time. You should go for it. Through this site, you've got a lot of admirers (i.e. potential customers). I think you would do real well.
        I vote for running skirts - but make sure the attached shorts stay in place on the thigh! I would also like to see fitted tank tops similar to under armour heat gear. I really have a problem with upper arm abrasions from rubbing on the underarm seams - so I look for tops that fit well - wick - and have flat seams. Great idea. I agree with not using "cheap" or "knockoff" in the title. When I finally find running gear that works for me, I want it to last - I tend to equate "cheap" with disposable/short term. One more thing - purple - I want purple!!! Can't wait to start shopping!

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the number of moments that take our breath away...(unkown)

Go With The Flow
        Thyroid Support Group

mikeymike

Are you a TJ Maxx gal, too? We could totally do a shopping trip...like, OMG! Big grin k
          Just be careful with your credit card. TJX breach snares over 200,000 cards in region

Runners run

vicentefrijole

And I can never have enough short-sleeved white technical shirts for the warmer weather. Ooooh, and can can you make some cheapknockoff running socks?
            Short and long sleeved technical shirts are huge on my list too. As are socks. However, I'm kinda picky when it comes to my running clothes (and I don't think alone on that one). Here's some unsolicited advice Big grin : If you go ahead with this, I would strongly encourage you to use high-quality materials. I'm a member of a running club that gives out a free "technical-fabric" shirt every year.. but I never wear it because it's always terribly scratchy... they choose the cheapest possible "technical-fabric" to save on cost. But if you start with high quality fabrics, people will like the products and come back for more. (I suspect the higher quality stuff will increase the price a bit, but should still be cheaper than the price increase associated with having a brand name label on there?) BTW, I think RoadRunner sports already has their own (generic) brand of socks, shirts, etc, but they aren't that much cheaper than name-brand stuff. Has anyone ever tried their clothes? Are they descent quality? Is there any reason that they aren't cheaper or are they just trying to make a lot of money?
            mikeymike

BTW, I think RoadRunner sports already has their own (generic) brand of socks, shirts, etc, but they aren't that much cheaper than name-brand stuff. Has anyone ever tried their clothes? Are they descent quality? Is there any reason that they aren't cheaper or are they just trying to make a lot of money?
              I've never tried their shorts/shirts/socks but I have a RRS jacket and pants that I bought off the clearance rack a few years ago. They are their "DryRoad" brand. Basically these are my bulletproof layers that I wear for severe cold or precip. I wear the jacket for running maybe 15 times a year (only when it's very cold, or cold and raining/snowing) and then I wear it around as a casual jacket in spring/fall. I wear the pants even less because I only wear them for rain or wet snow. If its just really cold (like this morning) I wear the jacket on top, but go with a standard pair of track pants (Adidas Erickson pants this a.m.) on the bottom. This particular jacket is very high quality. It is as good as gear I've bought from Patagonia, North Face etc. and was much less expensive--especially since I bought it from the clearance bin. I think the jacket was $80 and the pants $50. I've had them maybe 3-4 years and they are good as new. I'm sure they (RRS) are trying to make money - as is the primary goal of any commercial enterprise - but from my experience their stuff is good and priced competitively. I'm pretty particular about shorts and socks, so I would probably not by cheap knockoffs for those. But long and short sleeve shirts would be good if they were decent quality. To be honest, though, I don't have much problem finding running cloths at decent prices. I rarely wind up paying retail for anything and it's not like I buy tons of stuff--I mean it's all synthetic fibers that seem to last forever. I have some short sleeve poly t-shirts from REI that I've had for, literally, 5 or 6 years. I have pants that are 3 & 4 years old, several long and short sleeve base layers that are 4+ years old, the jacket and pants already mentioned, etc., etc. I have running underwear for under track pants or tights in the winter that are 4+ years old. None of this stuff is close to being worn out. The things that I go through pretty fast are shorts and socks. But those are also things that I'm pretty particular about the fit and thickness on so I have to go brand name. Still, if I pay $35 for a pair of shorts (on the off chance I can't get them cheap from my sis or some other source) then so be it. I get my money's worth out of them. I've never had the experience of paying $80 for a shirt. There's no need to do that.

Runners run

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Sounds great.

To paraphrase an old poster: Today is the first day of the rest of your training. It doesn’t matter where you started or how far you’ve come. Today is the day. Your training didn’t start 6 weeks ago. Your training started the last time you hit the road. John “the Penguin” Bingham Life is not tried, it is merely survived if you're standing outside the fire

You get a yes vote from me too Eric! I'd look for pretty much the same stuff as everyone else; long and short sleeve technical Ts, shorts, singlets, jackets, shorts and tights. Most importantly though, as someone else mentioned, reflective wear; since I run in the early morning. Would love to see something like that in a jacket at the very least.
                    The will to win means nothing without the will to prepare. -- Juma Ikangaa, Tanzanian marathoner

Help to defeat Lou Gehrig's Disease. Please sponsor me in The Ride to Defeat ALS. I'm riding in memory of my dad.
                    http://runpebsrun.blogspot.com

Misinformation Officer

You could just sell some heat-transfer RA logos and we can all put them on our fave tech stuff we've already got. I'm more than willing to buy some and slap them on my running duds!
                        You could just sell some heat-transfer RA logos and we can all put them on our fave tech stuff we've already got. I'm more than willing to buy some and slap them on my running duds!
                        Now there is an idea!!! We each here have a screen name and we could transfer them to our running gear. Even make up our own logo's to go withthe RA logo.

To paraphrase an old poster: Today is the first day of the rest of your training. It doesn’t matter where you started or how far you’ve come. Today is the day. Your training didn’t start 6 weeks ago. Your training started the last time you hit the road. John “the Penguin” Bingham Life is not tried, it is merely survived if you're standing outside the fire

eric :)

Hi Eric Smile: I am not in marketing, but "cheap"and "knockoff" have negative connations to me. I am very interested "inexpensive" "high-quality" running gear, and for me, "high-quality" means it looks good and is comfortable, for a long time. You should go for it. Through this site, you've got a lot of admirers (i.e. potential customers). I think you would do real well.
                          The cheap knock bit was a bad attempt at poking fun at myself. Botched joke anyone? I talked with my mother the other day, and she said it's very doable. The hardest part I suspect is to finding the exact material. I own a ton of running clothes, and they're made of different kinds of technical material. Once we find the material that I like, everything else should be simple.
                          va

The cheap knock bit was a bad attempt at poking fun at myself. Botched joke anyone? I talked with my mother the other day, and she said it's very doable. The hardest part I suspect is to finding the exact material. I own a ton of running clothes, and they're made of different kinds of technical material. Once we find the material that I like, everything else should be simple.
                            What do you think about a logo (e.g., a small logo on the left chest of a shirt)? Maybe a stylized "RA", or some other cool symbol? I think that would be cool. Do you have any logo ideas? If you have some ideas (e.g., images), we can comment on them (you have your own free marketing test subjects!). Note I also would be interested, assuming I accomplish it, in a "RunningAHEAD 1000 Mile Club 2007" shirt.
                            nemo1

I'll buy!! Just make sure that there are plenty of pockets in pants and shorts. And, I'm a tall woman ( 5'9''), please, please, make pants for long legs, or make generic men's that can pass for both.
                              evillee

Eric I'm all for it. I am a new runner and the cost of some of these shoes can be prohibitive. It can be very discouraging for a new runner. Don't even get me started on the clothing. Evil grin