What is wrong with me...? (Read 154 times)

OneHurtRunner

I used to run 50mpw in high school with no pain. Just went out and ripped it with the lads. Now I can't even run 15mpw without terrible shin pain in college.... what is wrong with me?

(It's been going on for about a year. No big increase in training. Been doing PT and strengthening for about 6 months...)

tom1961

Old , Ugly and slow

Did you take a long time off and gain weight?

first race sept 1977 last race sept 2007

2019  goals   1000  miles  , 190 pounds , deadlift 400 touch my toes

OneHurtRunner

Nope. Longest I took off was 2 weeks. I've grown a bit but haven't put on much weight. Right now I'm 6'2" and weight about 136lbs. Very tall and slim.

Did you take a long time off and gain weight?

an amazing likeness

Such a drastic decline might be a reasonably good topic to bring to a medical professional rather than a bunch of internet strangers...

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

Seattle prattle

I used to run 50mpw in high school with no pain. Just went out and ripped it with the lads. Now I can't even run 15mpw without terrible shin pain in college.... what is wrong with me?

(It's been going on for about a year. No big increase in training. Been doing PT and strengthening for about 6 months...)

are you doing the PT under the direction of a physical therapist? If so, what do they say? If not, like the last guy said, get it checked out. SIgnificant pain over that long of a timeframe is indicative of something besides a lack of conditioning.

Random internet stranger thought: Cause and Effect

Did you begin doing something new a little before this started, such as driving a stickshift car? Maybe got a job or a class where you stand on a cement floor for a long time? Anything else that uses your leg(s) in a way that you didn't before? And not to make you seem dim, but I have to ask: new running shoes? Or maybe new-to-you running surfaces?

(when I moved to Eugene and started running there I developed a stress fracture in my foot, because prior to the "big city" most of my miles were on dirt roads, and now it was mostly on sidewalks and pavement)

60-64 age group  -  University of Oregon alumni  -  Irreverent and Annoying

KBMM

Sounds like you have shin splints. Not an uncommon injury for high mileage runners. See a doc and get a PT prescription. He/she can evaluate whether you have a stress fracture/shin splints/muscle weakness etc. With a little rehab you should be fine. Most serious runners go through some periods of injury. Just keep in mind that it's not a permanent situation and that you need to look after yourself. Good luck!

KMM