Sub 3:00 Marathon Training Plan? (Read 258 times)

Im looking to try for a sub 3 marathon this fall, and have been doing some research; apparently there is a lot of literature out there about training for marathons and how one should go about doing so. Knowing this summer/fall is going to be fairly busy for me, I'm looking for a plan that I can write down in a calendar and then follow, and not worry about changing any major concepts of it, so a fairly more specific plan would be awesome.  Any plans that you have used/heard of being used that you'd recommend? Thanks!

If it ain't rainin', you ain't trainin'

- Sarge

mikeymike

Advanced Marathoning by Pete Pfitzinger.

Runners run

+1

Ready, go.

runmichigan

Hanson Marathon Plan - see their book

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

You're already more than fast enough, so you just need endurance. Hope you have a great time.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

BimBamBooh

You have to enjoy your long runs, otherwise - big trouble coming

Awesome thank you all for the insight!

If it ain't rainin', you ain't trainin'

- Sarge

bhearn

+2

stadjak

Interval Junkie --Nobby

You're already more than fast enough, so you just need endurance. Hope you have a great time.

+1

If you can get your basemileage to around 65/w and suffer through some 20milers, you should have a good chance at it. Though, if this is your first marathon you need to take a very conservative approach to the race itself -- lots of very fast people blow up on their first marathon.

2021 Goals: 50mpw 'cause there's nothing else to do

meh... 20 milers are overrated.

If you can get your basemileage to around 65/w and suffer through some 20milers

And we run because we like it
                      Through the broad bright land

And 65 mile weeks.  I never averaged over 55 miles per week for any of my sub 3 marathons. Of course, that's probably why I was stuck in the same 2:50 to 3:00 range for 7 out of my last 8 marathons.

meh... 20 milers are overrated.

bhearn

I takes me 70-80 mpw and plenty of 20+ milers to manage it.

Good luck, kid.

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus

247 viz

Try go to facebook page about running/runners for some options and feedback.

Be visible with Nathan vests.

I'm running the Chicago Marathon in October this year and hope to qualify for Boston. I just ran a 1:28 half in mid May. For my official training, I am going to use a combo of Hal Higdon's advanced 1 and advanced 2 plans. The first 9 weeks will only include 1 speed workout a week with a little bit higher mileage because you aren't doing as much speed work. I will then flip to the 2nd advanced plan to get 2 speed workouts a week. Here ya go

Week Date Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat Sun
                                1 6-Jun 3 m run 5 m run 3 m run 3 x hill rest 5 m pace 10
                                2 13-Jun 3 m run 5 m run 3 m run 30 tempo rest 5 m run 11
                                3 20-Jun 3 m run 6 m run 3 m run 4 x 800 rest 6 m pace 8
                                4 27-Jun 3 m run 6 m run 3 m run 4 x hill rest 6 m pace 13
                                5 4-Jul 3 m run 7 m run 3 m run 35 tempo rest 7 m run 14
                                6 11-Jul 3 m run 7 m run 3 m run 5 x 800 rest 7 m pace 10
                                7 18-Jul 3 m run 8 m run 4 m run 5 x hill rest 8 m pace 16
                                8 25-Jul 3 m run 8 m run 4 m run 40 tempo rest 8 m run 17
                                9 1-Aug 3 m run 9 m run 5 m run 6 x 800 rest rest half marathon
                                10 8-Aug 3 m run 6 x hill 4 m run 45 tempo rest 9 m pace 19
                                11 15-Aug 4 m run 45 tempo 5 m run 4 m pace rest 10 m run 20
                                12 22-Aug 4 m run 7 x 800 5 m run 45 tempo rest 6 m pace 12
                                13 29-Aug r m run 7 x hill 5 m run 50 tempo rest 10 m pace 20
                                14 5-Sep 5 m run 45 tempo 5 m run 5 m pace rest 6 m run 12
                                15 12-Sep 5 m run 8 x 800 5 m run 40 tempo rest 10 m pace 20
                                16 19-Sep 5 m run 6 x hill 5 m run 30 tempo rest 4 m pace 12
                                17 26-Sep 4 m run 30 tempo 4 m run 4 m pace rest 4 m run 8
                                18 3-Oct 3 m run 4 x 400 3 m run rest rest 2 m run marathon

https://www.instagram.com/tfilarski/