Another iPod question(s) (Read 653 times)

JakeKnight

For you iPod geeks out there. Clue me in: 1) Exactly how long should an iPod battery last? My 2-year old mini now dies after about 1 to 1.5 hours. 2) Since it's dying sooner than it used to - is my iPod itself dying? Can it be fixed? Can the battery be changed? If so, how and where? (And how much?) Or would it make more sense to just get a new one? 3) What's the best model for runners? Has to be lightweight, preferably a color other than pink, and it *must* have a battery that lasts at least 3-4 hours. I don't need 10,000 songs; but I DO need a 4 hour battery. What's the best choice? By the way, doesn't necessarily have to be an iPod. I'd at least look at other MP3 players. Although since most of our music is on iTunes, it would probably have to be iTunes compatible. And what kind of price range am I looking at?

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
    -----------------------------

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I'm putting Apple store gift cards on my list...I want that red 4gig Nano for $200 (and I'll bet it goes on sale after Christmas). The 2 gig is $150. The battery life on those is supposed to be crazy long...I know there's a thread about my Christmas wish that links to the specs page for all the Nano models.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Here are the specs...just to save you some hunting: Nano 24 hours music playback--about half that for video. k

~ Sarah Kay

JakeKnight

Thanks, Kirsten. That looks just about right. Might have to go on my X-mas list. Or on today's shopping list. Yes My fiancee's got one of the bigger ones (??) with a video thing, and only plugs it in once a week. So it must last at least 8-10 hours, I guess. But I want SMALL, too. So the nano looks about right. Another question: anybody know if battery duration varies with the volume of music? I'm wondering if I could make it last longer by keeping the sound down a bit.

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
          -----------------------------

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Another question: anybody know if battery duration varies with the volume of music? I'm wondering if I could make it last longer by keeping the sound down a bit.
            That's a really good question...I would think so, but I'm no physics expert. k

~ Sarah Kay

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

1) Exactly how long should an iPod battery last? My 2-year old mini now dies after about 1 to 1.5 hours. -18-24 months. 2) Since it's dying sooner than it used to - is my iPod itself dying? Can it be fixed? Can the battery be changed? If so, how and where? (And how much?) Or would it make more sense to just get a new one? -You can have the battery replaced. You can send it to Apple. It will cost you about as much as a new iPod. You can also buy the battery online and replace it yourself, thereby invalidating any warranty. Google will help you with this. 3) What's the best model for runners? Has to be lightweight, preferably a color other than pink, and it *must* have a battery that lasts at least 3-4 hours. I don't need 10,000 songs; but I DO need a 4 hour battery. What's the best choice? -The Nano and the new iPod Shuffle are the best. By the way, doesn't necessarily have to be an iPod. I'd at least look at other MP3 players. Although since most of our music is on iTunes, it would probably have to be iTunes compatible. -no. It DOES have to be an iPod. And what kind of price range am I looking at? -for what?
                For you iPod geeks out there. Clue me in:
                I'm not an iPod geek but I would suggest the nano. I just got the 4gb red ($199) and it's awesome. Battery is 24 hours and holds 1000 songs. It is also compatible with the new Nike+ pedometer kit (which is pretty cool) Also, for real iPod geeks you can always check out the ilounge.com. Good luck! Stephanie
                To keep it, you have to give it away.

You'll ruin your knees!

I am wary of IPod and all the marketing (read - your cigar posts). I just bought this...http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=7956385&st=mp3+player&lp=4&type=product&cp=1&id=1153336094842 and find it is awesome! Tiny player with good functionality for...get ready for this...SONGS! Works basically like a thumb drive, battery lasts long enough for most of my runs and has plenty of room for different playlists/genre lists. Sounds great, may want to play around with different earbuds, but that's probably true of any player. Lynn B

""...the truth that someday, you will go for your last run. But not today—today you got to run." - Matt Crownover (after Western States)