Is This a New Trend? (Read 321 times)

Walk-Jogger

So I took the day off from work yesterday to drive the DW up to Spokane for a Dr's visit. Afterwards we went to lunch at a brand-new restaurant she's been wanting to try. I needed to visit the men's room briefly after we were seated, and was shocked to see there was no urinal in it - two stalls, but no pisser!?!?    WTF? I had to walk back out and double-check that I wasn't in the ladies room. Is this a new trend, or did the restaurant architect just forget this in the design? I don't think I've ever walked into a men's room large enough to have two or more stalls before that did not also have a urinal. I don't like it . . .

Retired &  Loving It

TJoseph

I wouldn't think it is a trend unless you see it more than once or twice.  Fortunately, you don't see trough urinals too often anymore.

Mysecondnewname

I wouldn't think it is a trend unless you see it more than once or twice.  Fortunately, you don't see trough urinals too often anymore.

I think the only place I see those these days is in some older ballparks.   (You know you are really in an old place when the trough is made of metal).

I will say this, though--would be nice to have those in the public restrooms near the start of the marathon--able to fit in a whole bunch more people than the stalls.

Another weird non-trend.   There is a fine dining restaurant in Philly where the doors to the restrooms feature clear glass that doesn't become opaque until the door is locked.

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

I will say this, though--would be nice to have those in the public restrooms near the start of the marathon--able to fit in a whole bunch more people than the stalls.

I wonder how that would work in a marathon crush...would there be elbowing to get in, or would guys continue to maintain that invisible personal space?

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Gator eye

I would have some really bad stage fright.

sugnim

As a woman, I have no idea.  But, since I've never seen a urinal in a home, I always wonder why men need them in public places.  It would seem easier just to use a toilet stall without having to announce to everyone in the room whether you are there for #1 or #2.

As a woman, I have no idea.  But, since I've never seen a urinal in a home, I always wonder why men need them in public places.  It would seem easier just to use a toilet stall without having to announce to everyone in the room whether you are there for #1 or #2.

As you may know, men couldn't care less where they pee. I have never actually thought much about it, but my immediate answer is that it is not for the benefit of the men, it is for the benefit of the establishment.  A urinal takes up a lot less real estate than a toilet, you can get more in a smaller space. And they are cheaper to buy, easier to keep clean, and have less plumbing to maintain.

Dave

So I took the day off from work yesterday to drive the DW up to Spokane for a Dr's visit. Afterwards we went to lunch at a brand-new restaurant she's been wanting to try. I needed to visit the men's room briefly after we were seated, and was shocked to see there was no urinal in it - two stalls, but no pisser!?!?    WTF? I had to walk back out and double-check that I wasn't in the ladies room. Is this a new trend, or did the restaurant architect just forget this in the design? I don't think I've ever walked into a men's room large enough to have two or more stalls before that did not also have a urinal. I don't like it . . .

And no, I don't believe I have ever seen this anywhere - even the ones that just have a single room where you lock the door behind you often have both a toilet & a urinal.

Dave

I've never seen it or heard of it either.

The worst for me, though, is when I go to a restaurant or bar that expect me to know the meaning of Bloke, Hombre, Gents, Roosters, Men, His, etc (relative to it's counterpart) when I'm slightly drunk or needing to urinate quickly.

I hate being confused while looking at the options.
                      I don't have time to translate that word, interpret an odd symbol, or compare the two choices and determine which is more masculine.

K.I.S.S..... It's "Men" or "Women"

Life Goals:

#1: Do what I can do

#2: Enjoy life

A Saucy Wench

Our friend has a urinal in her home.  Came with the house.  As the mother of boys, she loves it.

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

I once walked into a restaurant that had a very small restroom.  When I opened the door, the urinal was right there a couple feet in, and a guy was using it.

I was surprised by the crowded nature of the little restroom, and when I walked in, I was practically standing over his shoulder as he was taking his leak.

Surprised, I said "Oh, Small one, Huh?"  and I then left the restroom because it was so tiny.

Once I thought about what I had said, how close I was to the guy when I said it, and how he might have misinterpreted what I was referring to with my statement, we opted to leave quickly and eat at a different restaurant.

Big grin

The Plan '15 →   ///    "Run Hard, Live Easy."   ∞

cookiemonster

Connoisseur of Cookies

I've seen homes with urinals in the bathroom(s).  It's not common but not unheard of.

***************************************************************************************

"C" is for cookie.  That's good enough for me.

Am I doing this right?

I've seen homes with urinals in the bathroom(s).  It's not common but not unheard of.

When we were finishing our basement I wanted to do this in the basement bathroom.  After further consideration I decided* it probably wasn't a good idea.

* read -- My wife told me

No excuses....

Walk-Jogger

Oh, those old trough urinals, I had blanked those out of my mind. I remember those from the county fairgrounds when I was a kid. UGH. We also had them in the barracks when I was in the Coast Guard, since we had old hand-me-down facilities from WW1 or there-abouts. That place also had a line of toilets for #2, all in a row and with NO STALLS. I made a point of locating other places to go, because I'm just not down with no privacy when I'm crapping. Nope, no sir, not happening. I don't even do that in front of the DW. 

Retired &  Loving It