2018 New York Marathon Thread (Read 217 times)

Julia1971

I, too, got a little excited after I made my selection . Now if only I could get my head into training.

I didn't realize you were running it.  Hooray!!!

Since all the cool kids are doing it, I went on and selected the 6am ferry and a poncho.

onemile

I signed up for the poncho and 6 am bus again. Last year, I got there at 6:05 and barely made Wave 1 because we just sat on the bridge for over an hour. I probably had about 10 minutes to spare once we got off the bus. So for anyone in wave 1, make sure you are not late, and certainly if you are checking bags, consider the 5:30 am bus.

oh boy

onemile

I didn't realize you were running it.  Hooray!!!

+1

Nasreddin Hoja

The last two times on the bus from the ferry to Athlete's village I had to stand because the seats were filled and they pack those buses, and it's not a short ride.

I had this as well the first time and I was so squeezed I couldn't stand up straight.  Learned to hang back next time.

Staten Island Half gives you the ferry boat ride.  I like doing it in Marathon years and it's still open.

https://www.nyrr.org/races-and-events/2018/nyrr-staten-island-half

Fredford66

Waltons ThreadLord

I had this as well the first time and I was so squeezed I couldn't stand up straight.  Learned to hang back next time.

Staten Island Half gives you the ferry boat ride.  I like doing it in Marathon years and it's still open.

https://www.nyrr.org/races-and-events/2018/nyrr-staten-island-half

I take it you find three weeks is enough time to recover from the half before running the full?  I am considering a half the week before that and am a bit concerned that even four weeks out may be too close.

5k 23:48.45 (3/22); 4M 31:26 (2/22); 5M 38:55 (11/23); 10k 49:24 (10/22); 
            10M 1:29:33 (2/24); Half 1:48:32 (10/22); Marathon 4:29:58 (11/23)

Upcoming races: Clinton Country Run 15k, 4/27; Running is Back 10k, 5/12

Nasreddin Hoja

I think so, but you have to work this out for yourself.  The last time, I ran my one and only 20 miler, less than three weeks before and I was feeling that.  A tough call - on one hand, I knew it was close and I would feel it,  but without the 20, my confidence level would have been around the zero mark. 

JMac11

RIP Milkman

I take it you find three weeks is enough time to recover from the half before running the full?  I am considering a half the week before that and am a bit concerned that even four weeks out may be too close.

The problem isn't that the half takes 3 weeks to recover (it doesn't), it's that it puts a dent in your training if you plan on racing it at all. You need to mini-taper into it, and then recover afterwards.

I like doing my final test race at least 5 weeks before the marathon. I like running the Bronx 10 mile because it's a little shorter than a half, so I recover faster, but it's long enough that it gives me a good indication of my fitness. Unfortunately it's sold out, but something to consider for future marathons.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

Fredford66

Waltons ThreadLord

As of now, I'm planning to run a half in early September to gauge my training level.  If the weather is still too much like summer (technically, it will still be summer), I may try another in October to take the heat impact out of the equation.

Bert-o

I lost my rama

As of now, I'm planning to run a half in early September to gauge my training level.  If the weather is still too much like summer (technically, it will still be summer), I may try another in October to take the heat impact out of the equation.

Ooof.... a half in early Sept is hard enough as it is with this weather.  Early Oct would definitely be better to assess your fitness, but I do like JMac's idea of shortening the race to 10 mi, or even 10K.  Warmer weather affects your performance more the longer the race, IMO.  But you never know if a cool spell will come along in Sept or Oct.

3/17 - NYC Half

4/28 - Big Sur Marathon  DNS

6/29 - Forbidden Forest 30 Hour

8/29 - A Race for the Ages - will be given 47 hours

Fredford66

Waltons ThreadLord

Ooof.... a half in early Sept is hard enough as it is with this weather.  Early Oct would definitely be better to assess your fitness, but I do like JMac's idea of shortening the race to 10 mi, or even 10K.  Warmer weather affects your performance more the longer the race, IMO.  But you never know if a cool spell will come along in Sept or Oct.

I agree the weather is risky.  If it's too warm, I'll likely treat it more as a training run than a test.  It's a half I want to run one day anyway.

Running Problem

Problem Child

I’m not running New York however I’ve followed the Hanson’s advanced and I did well with it. I followed the plan with their 1.5 mile warm up. I’d suggest reading the book if you haven’t. There is a lot you learn from the book you won’t learn from the online plan. It’s almost like the online plan is there to confuse you or something. I REALLY liked the 16 mile long runs even on tired legs.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

Fredford66

Waltons ThreadLord

I’m not running New York however I’ve followed the Hanson’s advanced and I did well with it. I followed the plan with their 1.5 mile warm up. I’d suggest reading the book if you haven’t. There is a lot you learn from the book you won’t learn from the online plan. It’s almost like the online plan is there to confuse you or something. I REALLY liked the 16 mile long runs even on tired legs.

I have the book, thanks, and have read it twice.  It does, indeed, have a lot of good information, and I include the warm-up and cool-down runs.  I've heard people say they love the plan, and other people hate the plan (and some love/hate parts of it).  What is encouraging, though, is I've not heard anyone say it doesn't work.

Running Problem

Problem Child

I have the book, thanks, and have read it twice.  It does, indeed, have a lot of good information, and I include the warm-up and cool-down runs.  I've heard people say they love the plan, and other people hate the plan (and some love/hate parts of it).  What is encouraging, though, is I've not heard anyone say it doesn't work.

I think a large part of it is the effort put forth by everyone. Their "give us an honest shot and we will prove you wrong" approach seems to resonate throughout training when you're just out there running miles. Even the longer GMP runs.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

Fredford66

Waltons ThreadLord

I am putting my trust in their plan.  Not going for a 20 mile long run was hard for me to accept, but I figured I should either buy into the plan fully or not use it.  One glitch is I've been laid up for a week with a minor injury, missing 7 workouts.  I'm at the point where the plan says consider another, later race.  I've been doing some cross training (rowing, biking, pool running) and hope not to have lost too much fitness.  My plan is to return to running on Thursday.  If I can't manage that, then I may have to seriously consider deferring my entry to next year, though I really, really don't want to do that.

Fredford66

Waltons ThreadLord

Had a good day today - ran a half and set a PR while breaking 2 hours.  That's a confidence boost and suggests my training is working.