2020 Marathon Training and relevant COVID 19 discussion echo chamber (Read 700 times)

JMac11

RIP Milkman

It's been a long time since I finished a run without my shirt totally soaked, and usually my shorts as well. Just disgustingly humid. Not sure which is worse, what you have or what I have. All I know is I've been dreaming about winter running the last few weeks....  Fingers are crossed that XC will take place this fall. CT is planning to start schools and to have all fall sports, provided things stay as they are in the state. We've had pretty good numbers so hopefully it stays that way. My son has been training, he runs in the afternoon despite me telling him he should switch to morning when it's cooler. He's young so he can handle it. 

In the summer, a good day is when only your shirt is soaked. Like this morning was "beautiful" due to the storms: TDP of 147!

As someone who has always run in the afternoon, I go back and forth on this. On one hand, it gives me better heat training. But I've never been able to determine whether that's a net positive for me. Put another way: is it better to run in the morning and get closer to your goal pace in a workout, or better to run in the afternoon with better heat training but worse pacing? Maybe it doesn't matter at all!

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

Running Problem

Problem Child

. Put another way: is it better to run in the morning and get closer to your goal pace in a workout, or better to run in the afternoon with better heat training but worse pacing? 

What is the goal of the workout? Personally, if it was me I'd take the morning workout for hitting paces if I was training for Chicago or an early fall marathon and the point of the workout was to dial in M pace.

If I'm training for an upcoming race where it's going to be hot I'll want the data on heart rate and water intake while also getting heat acclimated. I'm mostly thinking about that Boston marathon where it wa 32F with rain and 30 mph winds and someone on this forum was amused when they heard runners say "when it was this bad I ran inside" regarding the weather. Same goes with heat.

with that said...iI completely flip my workouts. Marathon paced workouts are in the afternoon with traffic and dogs to simulate race day conditions. Speed work is in the morning assuming I can find a space open enough to allow the workout to happen mostly uninterrupted/inconvenienced.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

weatherboy80

For me being in FL sometimes the afternoon can be much better than the morning especially around or just after sunrise when the dew point is basically at the temperature.  For example, the last 4 mornings Melbourne hasn't gotten below 81/82 with a dew point hovering close to 80 so that is about as bad as it can get.  The best scenario is when we happen to get some thunderstorms in the early afternoon cooling down the temperatures and having an abundance of cloud cover afterwards.  Either way no way around any of it as you will need to slow down or adjust workouts overall.

JMac: As for Dinseyland yes that has been on our list for years in order to visit and ride some of the originals Wink

1mile: 4:46 (12/20) | 5K: 15:57 (3/21)  |  10K: 33:40 (4/20)  |  15K 51:43 (4/21) | HM: 1:15:03 (12/20)  |  FM: 2:40:30 (1/20)

Magrawlas

Just disgustingly humid. Not sure which is worse, what you have or what I have. All I know is I've been dreaming about winter running the last few weeks....

Thanks JT and Cinnamon

For me humidity is a killer. I don't go well when it's warm, let alone hot! Anything over 18 deg c / 64.4 F and I struggle.

Had a perfect day here last Monday. Blue sky, no wind and a lovely 14c / 57.2f, perfect for running but not getting the washing dry

Marky_Mark_17

In my original post I was after advice on what to do with my marathon plan as the Wellington NZ event had been delayed and also a bit of advice in general. Well the good news for me is that a date is now set for 30th August as predicted by Marky Mark.

I've reset my plan and am now right in the thick end of it. Had my longest run last weekend of 32km/ 20mile, do this again in a cpl of weeks then start to taper. I'm getting excited as it's my first marathon and I feel I'm going pretty well, no injuries other than bleeding nipples and black toenails.

I'm really glad they were able to go ahead with a rescheduled date.  A lot of races (like Dunedin Marathon) cancelled very early on in the piece but (assuming the situation remains as it is) actually would've been able to go ahead as planned.

I've spent enough time in Wellington to know that course is beautiful running on a good day, but could be hard work on a windy day (especially if you cop the northerly on the way back).  Fingers crossed for good weather!

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Maraetai HM, 10 Mar, DNF

Up next: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

dpschumacher

3 months til Masters

Mankato marathon and half go virtual. Fudge. My inside word said the city canned it after recent surge of virus in the news. They thought they had a plan to do it safely but city said no.

Sorry Darkwave. Will have to meet you another time. 

2023 Goals

Marathon Sub 2:37 (CIM) 2:41:18

10k Sub 35:00 (Victory 10k 34:19)

5k Sub 16:00 (Hot Dash 5k in March (16:48), Brian Kraft in May (16:20), Twilight 5000 in July and August (16:20/16:25 Both heat index 102-103F)

Sub 1:16 Half Marathon  City of Lakes Half Marathon 1:15:47)

Sub 56:30 in 10 mile (Twin Cities 10 mile, Canceled due to weather, 56:35 as a workout)

2024 Goals

Sub 2:37 Marathon

Sub 1:15 Half

Sub 34 10k

Sub 16 5k

darkwave

Mother of Cats

Mankato marathon and half go virtual. Fudge. My inside word said the city canned it after recent surge of virus in the news. They thought they had a plan to do it safely but city said no.

Sorry Darkwave. Will have to meet you another time. 

Bummed about not meeting you....the email I got said the marathon and relay were virtual, but half, 10K, and 5K were still a go.  Do you have more recent news?

(website doesn't seem to be updated yet.  But was telling that they stopped registration for the full some time ago, but never announced that it sold out.  Now we know why....)

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

dpschumacher

3 months til Masters

I read the first one. They clarified in a second email 10 min later....you are correct. They are still on for now (10k/half )

2023 Goals

Marathon Sub 2:37 (CIM) 2:41:18

10k Sub 35:00 (Victory 10k 34:19)

5k Sub 16:00 (Hot Dash 5k in March (16:48), Brian Kraft in May (16:20), Twilight 5000 in July and August (16:20/16:25 Both heat index 102-103F)

Sub 1:16 Half Marathon  City of Lakes Half Marathon 1:15:47)

Sub 56:30 in 10 mile (Twin Cities 10 mile, Canceled due to weather, 56:35 as a workout)

2024 Goals

Sub 2:37 Marathon

Sub 1:15 Half

Sub 34 10k

Sub 16 5k

OMR

DPS:  Thanks for the update, bummer they're cancelling the full.  I think the half is their big draw, so I can see them wanting to keep it from going virtual if at all possible.

Weatherboy: Dewpoints over 80 are just hard to comprehend! They've been routinely over 70 deg where I am for the last couple weeks, and that has been really awful to run in. I don't know how you can manage it!

My week is done. No workouts due mostly to the miserable heat & humidity all week, also due to a busy/stressful week at work. I intended to run after work on Friday but just had no motivation, especially given how hot it was. So that was an unplanned day off. I sort of made up for it with a very hilly long run this morning. I really like the new route I've been taking for my last few long runs; it goes in to NY state and is very hilly but with beautiful scenery and nice roads.

I saw the Niagara Falls International marathon was cancelled. I had been eyeing that as a possibility but knew it was a long shot it would happen given the logistics of a 2 country course.

Name Distance Pace Gain
                      Tue Morning Run 10.14 8:10 636
                      Wed Morning Run 10.15 8:02 636
                      Thu Trails in Sega Park 8.03 8:50 531
                      Sat Trails in Sega Park 10.03 8:51 682
                      Sun Long run 20.11 7:44 1663

Total distance: 58.46 mi

2:52:16 (2018)

darkwave

Mother of Cats

Weatherboy, our DPs have been similar, though not quite as high - consistently mid to high 70s.  Like you said, just need to adjust and accept it - if you try to fight through, you fry yourself.

Re: morning versus evening running in the summer - in DC, the mornings are much more humid, but the afternoons are about 10 degrees warmer.  So...a pick your poison type thing.  For me, mornings are generally the only time that work for me for a variety of reasons, so I don't have a choice.  The DC area also tends to regularly have afternoon thunderstorms - if you're lucky, they pass through and cool things off after.  If you're not lucky, they last all afternoon and evening and prevent your run.  Or they knock down enough trees etc to block the normal running routes.

JTReeves - good mileage.  Is that 20 an indication that you are still eyeing a fall marathon somewhere?

My week:

46 miles, 1800 yards of swimming, 2:30 pool-running.
                        M: 55 minutes of pool-running and streaming yoga.
                        T: 8 miles easy (9:15), upper body weights/core, and streaming yoga.
                        W: 5.5 miles easy (9:31), streaming yoga, and 5.5 miles easy (9:07) plus drills and four gentle hill strides
                        Th: upper body weights/core, 55 minutes of pool-running, and streaming yoga.
                        F: 8 miles, including 6 gentle hill repeats (2:00 up a 5% incline at slightly faster than easy pace, with 3:00 recovery), followed with 1800 yards swimming and streaming yoga.
                        Sa: 8 miles aerobic (8:57) (too hot to call easy), streaming yoga, and 40 minutes of pool-running.
                        Su: 11 miles, including a mild progression of 3 miles averaging 9:18 pace, 3 miles averagng 8:34 pace, 3 miles averaging 7:34 pace, and then jog. Should note that I did take quite a few breaks during this run - any time I started to run unevenly, I tried to fix it. If I couldn't, I stopped and did some marching drills to try to reset an even gait.  Followed with streaming yoga and leg strengthwork.

The good news about steamy weather is that it's much better for rehabbing a pulled hamstring than winter is.  My muscles are nice and warm, and I don't have to worry about slipping on black ice and reinjuring myself.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

jhudak55

JT: Nice week. Those AM 10 milers suddenly feel like a much bigger deal with the weather.

DW: Good week. Are you using the treadmill for some runs still? Also, your tips on the course were a huge help. The course was exactly as you described and everyone did exactly what you said they would. I passed probably 10 runners on the uphill in the second quarter and remember laughing to myself, "Wow, darkwave said this would happen".

My Week:

60.3 miles

M: 5.2 miles easy (8:54)

T: 7.4 miles w/ 3 at tempo (6:40, 6:40, 6:33)

W: 10.5 miles easy (8:52)

T: 5.2 miles easy (8:26)

F: 5.1 miles easy (8:55)

S: 1 mile race in 5:23 with 3 mile warm up and 3 cool down; PM 5.1 miles easy (8:53)

S: 14.7 mile long run (8:21)

Ran the Loudoun Street Mile Saturday morning in 5:23. Was the first mile race I had ever run and was a lot more fun than I was anticipating. My quarter mile splits were 1:19, 1:26, 1:22, 1:15. Decided to not look at my watch and run it by feel rather than to shoot for an arbitrary goal time.

Also, I ran this race in the NB Fuelcell Rebel. I really like this shoe and bought a second pair this week. It is my only "fast" shoe, I wear the Brooks Ghost for all other training runs, besides tempos. I thought about buying a pair of the Nike Air Zoom Streaks for this race and other 5k and under type stuff, but opted to stick with what I had (I wear size 14 and it is a pain to find tempo/speed shoes).

cinnamon girl

M: 8 mi (7:44)  
                            T: 6.7 mi (7:40)
                            W: 7 mi (8:16)
                            T: off
                            F: 10 mi with 2k (7:44), 1600m (6:09), 1200m (4:33), 800m (2:54), 400m (1:22) with 2:30 rec
                            S: 7.5 mi (8:15)
                            S: 7.7 mi (7:58)

I wimped out on a longer run on Sunday. I couldn't breathe the air was so hot and dry and I was tired.

jhudak: Nice mile and splits!

Running Problem

Problem Child

JHudak Nice mile time. I recall being fed information on how to run the mile from this group last year or the year before. For such a short race there sure is a lot going into doing it right.

EDIT:

My week was 47 miles. Friday and Saturday were 10 mile runs. The rest were either uphill/downhill or flat. Still just cruising through daily runs with no desire/motivation to do anything challenging. Maybe COVID 19 being cured from the media will help. Maybe my interview tomorrow will lead to a new job where I'll lose the ability to run whenever I want and I'll have to do morning/evening runs.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

Jhudak I just got a pair of the Rebels too. I like the pop in them and they are a great price.

55+ PBs 5k 18:36 June 3rd TT

" If you don't use it you lose it,  but if you use it, it wears out.

Somewhere in between is about right "