Indiana runners Miami Marathon report (Read 366 times)

Hello all,I am glad to have read alot of your race reports and send my congrats to all of you!!I must the race it's self was great but wish the city would have embraced the event alittle more Sad.Miami being a prime spot would have thought huge crowds cheering.I was somewhat suprised by the fact crowd suport was really poor.The course was beautiful!! So made up for a lack of support.The bridges sucked in my opion.There where 4 of us that ran the full and 2 that ran the half.Our best finisher which he had a terrible day and usally alot faster was 3hrs 48th overall 6th in age group.Myself was 3:01:16 50th overall and 10th age group was hoping sub 3 but the heat cost me a minute or two trainimg in 20-40 degrees isn't 65 and humid.It's a new P.R. so can't complain to much Smile.Our third guy was 3:16 133rd overall 2nd age group not bad 54 years old.Our final guy came in at 3:31 285th overall and 28th age group in the marathon.Our half marathoners are husband and wife and ran the Naples half the weekend before and ran about 8 minutes faster last week but where 1:38 and 1:39 in Miami.So that's the Indiana race report.We saw the Hanson team running twice on Sat and Sunday before the race.Sell is tiny...lol.
    ironTriKev

IronMan ;)

It looks like the Indiana runners well well represented. I totally agree with your comments on how Miami did not embrace the event. It was disheartening when we ran the cross streets and had drivers honking their horns because they were annoyed by us. first of all where were they going? Downtown was basically closed, second of all didn't the media warn people that the streets would be closed because of this event. speaking of the local media, where were they? the paper had almost zero coverage and I didn't see much on the television news either, although I didn't watch too much television while I was there.

Tri-Kev Here are my favorite links:
      My "kick @ss" running club ;)

Swim 2.4 miles.
      Ride 112 miles.
      Run 26.2 miles.
      Then brag for the rest of your life.
      -Commander John Collins, Ironman Triathlon creator

Good idea to fly in your own support group, just in case the local crowd doesn't get the job done. Congrats on your PR, and an impressive group effort/result.

E.J.
        Greater Lowell Road Runners
        Cry havoc and let slip the dawgs of war!

May the road rise to meet you, may the wind be always at your back, may the sun shine warm upon your SPF30, may the rains fall soft upon your sweat-wicking hat, and until you hit the finish line may The Flying Spaghetti Monster hold you in the hollow of His Noodly Appendage.

Nice job to your whole group and congrats on your PR Smile
          I totally agree with your comments on how Miami did not embrace the event. It was disheartening when we ran the cross streets and had drivers honking their horns because they were annoyed by us. first of all where were they going? Downtown was basically closed, second of all didn't the media warn people that the streets would be closed because of this event. speaking of the local media, where were they? the paper had almost zero coverage and I didn't see much on the television news either, although I didn't watch too much television while I was there.
          It is sad, isn't it? All the honking and impatience and "look out for you only" is Miami. I though Boston was bad when I lived there, but this place take the cake (and not in a good way). Roll eyes Although, nobody was warned about street closures. I felt bad for people living on some of the islands that only had one lane open. They had no idea they would have to sit in so much traffic to leave their homes. Maybe if the word had gotten out, they wouldn't have gone out Sunday morning. There was no media coverage. The only thing I saw was a 10 second clip on the news that night about how Brian Sell ran the marathon. Yesterday when I was walking around all stiff-legged, and people asked what was wrong, nobody even knew there had been a marathon. It stinks, cause I think with some hype it could be a great big city race with a ton of support.