BPM?? How do I know whats for me? (Read 951 times)

Don't know if this is the right place for this thread or not, but here goes... I just got an Ipod and I've been trying to figure out what songs I want to put on this contraption for running. I have quite a few that I just like, but if I want to gather some in a certain BPM range that match my running, how do I do that? How do I know what BPM a certain song is (most likely from itunes), and how do I know what BPM would suit my running? I run about a 9:30 mile right now. Help! I don't know what I'm doing! Blush Oh, and an aside-- I'm technologically challenged, and it took me awhile to figure out how to download stuff, but I finally figured it out. I got the songs I purchased from itunes on my ipod, and about 65 other songs showed up as well! Confused Did I buy these not meaning to, or do they just do that for marketing or something?
    Wingz

Professional Noob

This isn't exactly what you're looking for, probably, but here's how I found what BPM I run at: I went to http://www.djsteveboy.com/podrunner.html and downloaded a variety of the constant beats-per-minute workouts (Look under the archived mixes). It's free. From there, I just experimented until I felt that the music fit my natural pace. If I want to challenge myself, I choose a slightly faster mix. If I feel lazy, I can choose a slower mix. The mixes are about an hour long each.

Roads were made for journeys...

Wingz

Professional Noob

Thanks for the info... I had thought about downloading the podcasts and just trying them out; I guess I was hoping there was an easier way. Some magic formula or something. Big grin I'll have to try them out and see what works. Thanks again!
          dj steve boyett

Reluctant Scrooge

run_ac_run-- Run at a comfortable pace and count your steps for 30 seconds. Multiply by two: that's your BPM! Podrunner is building up an inventory of BPMs as quickly as it can (we had 90 mixes up till Nov. 1, but a change in our music licensing required us to start from scratch), so if your exact BPM isn't available, it will be soon, and something close to it should be up there. Good luck!
            Steve Boyett
            Podrunner: Free, nonstop, fixed-BPM workout music mixes.
            Podrunner: Intervals - Free, varied-BPM workout music mixes!
              If you ever want to do your own mixes... with open source software. For non-DRM content, you can load tracks in and see what the BPM is there... sometimes it's off though.

Vim

Wingz

Professional Noob

run_ac_run-- Run at a comfortable pace and count your steps for 30 seconds. Multiply by two: that's your BPM!
                D'oh! Wish I'd thought of that... Blush Big grin

dj steve boyett

Reluctant Scrooge

It's my job. Wink
                  Steve Boyett
                  Podrunner: Free, nonstop, fixed-BPM workout music mixes.
                  Podrunner: Intervals - Free, varied-BPM workout music mixes!
                    D'oh! Wish I'd thought of that... Blush Big grin
                    Ditto! Now I feel kind of silly... Blush I was trying to make it more complicated that it needs to be. Smile Thanks for the suggestions. I'm gonna try it out tomorrow. --Anna
                    Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

My heart rate is about 58 BPM.

Beatin' on the Rock

My heart rate is about 58 BPM.
                        That would be a slow run, dude. Wink
                        Be yourself. Those that matter, don't mind. Those that mind, don't matter.