Soylent or People Chow (Read 166 times)

SheCan

Anybody else have any experience with Soylent or People chow-- the liquid diet food meant to supply all your nutrients body's needs for a fraction of the cost of food?  My husband ordered Soylent, but the wait period was going to be at least 10 weeks to get it, so he then ordered the supplies to make his own, known as people chow.  I'm worried he's playing with his health by messing with this stuff.  He says he's only going to substitute some of his meals with it, not all of them.  Anybody else take the plunge?

Cherie

"We do not become the people who this world needs simply by turning our backs on anyone we don’t like, trust, or deem healthy enough to be in our presence. "  ---- Shasta Nelson

AutBatgirl

This is a real thing?! Why didn't someone inform me? It's common knowledge that I'm not big on anything having to do with food, so I may have to look into this. I was waiting for the year 3000 to roll around, but the future could be here! Now to just convince the kids...

No act of kindness, however small, is ever wasted.

Member Since 2008

I think I made that for lunch today.

Soylent Green.  Tasty.   :-)

I assume many folks have seen this (sort of) classic movie, but if not, a reference clip is provided below.  The 25 second mark in this clip really makes me want to pass on anything named Soylent.   But... Depends on the price.  I am apt to be more open to new things when I am reeeeeally hungry (and/or low on cash)...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9IKVj4l5GU4

The Plan '15 →   ///    "Run Hard, Live Easy."   ∞

running metalhead

Hey. Don't worry, it's nothing more than a recipe for a shake just like so many around there.

The difference between the home made formula and the bought one is that the commercial uses standard ingredients.

But basically it's not much more than if you would copy my mango chutney recipe.

That's about the stuff itself. As of basing a whole diet on such type of beverage... dunno. It does look safe, but after a few times I would defintely go back to my traditional "diet" and cook a nice Indian, Korean, Vietnamese or Spanish dinner (I'm an awesome cook, BTW)

And remember: Soylent Green IS people!!!

- Egmond ( 14 januari )            :  1:41:40 (21K)
            - Vondelparkloop ( 20 januari ) :  0:58.1 (10K but did 13.44!!!)
            - Twiskemolenloop ( 4 maart )  :   1:35:19 (3th M45!)

- Ekiden Zwolle (10K)   ( 25 maart )
            - Rotterdam Marathon ( 8 april )
            - Leiden Marathon Halve ( 27 mei )
            - Marathon Amersfoort ( 10 juni)

And remember: Soylent Green IS people!!!

You know, tell me what it will do for my run time.  That is what I want to know.     If they can promise I can break below a sub- 20:00 5K for the first time ever in my life and set a PR, I'll bite...

The Plan '15 →   ///    "Run Hard, Live Easy."   ∞

SheCan

Well, he hasn't got all the ingredients in the mail yet.  We are finding out that we probably should have just went to Walmart for some of them-- yes, he really did order cornmeal through the mail. I can assure you that was not price effective after you pay for shipping.  Once we mix up the first batch, and he sticks with it for a bit, I'll let y'all know if his digestive system shuts down, but he swears it says he should poop like normal.

Cherie

"We do not become the people who this world needs simply by turning our backs on anyone we don’t like, trust, or deem healthy enough to be in our presence. "  ---- Shasta Nelson

I've heard the guy interviewed a couple times.  His motivation is all about time.  Most healthy food is time consuming to purchase, prepare and eat (he says 1.5 hrs/day)  Most quick to eat food is not healthy (pizza, burgers, etc.)  He wanted something convenient and healthy, so he talked to a bunch of nutritionists about healthy carb/fat/protein ratios and required nutrients, and came up with a formula for a powder that can be mixed with water to provide a complete diet.  It's not for weight loss or performance, just supposed to be a balanced diet that substitutes taste/variety for convenience.

It's an interesting concept.  It could certainly provide health benefits to folks in long hour, high pressure careers that tend to spend their twenties surviving on pizza.  I don't think I'd be happy without chewing, though.

Village people

Sounds like a good solution for cooking in the summer ot those days when it is too hot to eat.

TeaOlive

old woman w/hobby

Sounds like a good solution for cooking in the summer ot those days when it is too hot to eat.

???

No such thing.

steph  

Village people

???

No such thing.

Maybe I would feel differently if I wasn't the one standing over the stove sweating.

TeaOlive

old woman w/hobby

Maybe I would feel differently if I wasn't the one standing over the stove sweating.

Sadly, that doesn't bother me in the least.

mta: spelling.

steph  

SheCan

TeaOlive-- I'm like you, I WANT to eat.  I like eating, and my life would be really boring without it... wait maybe it is with it?    Anyway, My DH wants to do it because, when he starts eating, he doesn't stop.  He does a lot of mindless eating.  If he doesn't start, he doesn't even seem to miss it.  Something about his eating regulation seems to be off.

Cherie

SheCan

Finally got all the ingredients.  We mixed up 8 days worth-- one day of liquid added, the rest in 1 gallon plastic bags.  You're supposed to let the liquid mixture chill, but we went ahead and tasted it-- yick!   Tasted like either cornbread batter or grainy, warm breast milk to me.  Nasty stuff, it's gotta be better cold.  They say you can add stuff like cinnamon or other spices.

Cherie

bap

I'm so glad that I'm fortunate to be able to afford real food.

I sincerely hope your luck changes soon.

Certified Running Coach
                                Crocked since 2013