Masters Track Newbie (Read 148 times)

I want run in a track meet this year. I'm a 50-year-old female and have never raced on the track.

There are two meets I'm looking at. The first one is May 3. I can enter either the 400m or the 3000m. I haven't been running a lot lately due to my work schedule. I'm averaging around 20 miles per week. I'm not in the best shape of my life, but I'm hoping to get back to good form by fall.

I can't decide which distance would be funner. I like to sprint, yet I'm not a sprinter. The 3000 seems a better fit.  Judging from past years' results, I will likely be the slowest runner at either distance. I would get lapped, maybe more than once, in the 3000.

My expectations aren't high for this first meet. I'd just like to get my feet wet and try something new.

My question is: Which distance should I run, and is there anyway to prepare in the time I have?

Julia1971

I don't have any experience running track as an adult/master.  I did run the 400m in high school, though.  I would probably lean towards doing the 400m only because 3000m on a track sounds pretty boring to me.

You have over a month going in so I wouldn't panic about trying to fit in training for it.  Again, I haven't raced sprints in ages, but from what I recall, most of our track workouts were 200m repeats or ladders where we'd run 400m, recover, 300m, recover, 200m, recover, 100m recover, and then work out way back up the ladder.  I'm sure she tried to get the ladder to start at 600m or even 800m but we weren't having it.  Smile

If you go with the 3000m, Daniel's Running Formula has a 1500-3000m training plan.  I'm not sure if it's any good but...  You can probably find some good training plans online.

BTW, I love your attitude going in.  Have fun!

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

I'm surprised those are your only 2 options, but if those are your choices go with what appeals to you. Regards of your choice you should be doing some quality speedwork over the next few weeks, minimally some strides. If you opt for the 400m, focus on 100-300m repeats fast but not straining with nearly full recovery between, at least an equal distance jog. If you choose the 3000m, then work your way up to some 600m-1000m intervals at about the pace you think you can run for 3000m. In any case you need to ease into those types of workouts gradually if you haven't been doing anything like that, and you need to be sure you get in a very good warm-up before attempting anything fast to avoid straining a muscle. A minimum warm-up would include at least 10 minutes of easy jogging and running. For the shorter, faster workouts for the 400m training you should also add 4-6 60-80m strides beginning at about half speed and working up to about 3/4 speed as part of the warm-up.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
              05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

Thanks for the advice Julia and wcrunner. Last night I ran a workout, of sorts, the first in a long time. It felt good, and I plan to ease back into intervals over the next few weeks.

I've decided to run the 400. I don't think I'd get bored during the 3000, but I could easily lose track of laps.

A bigger meet with more events is happening at the end of June. I hope to be in better shape for that one.

Auntie

thanks for the inspiration!  I've been thinking of doing some track meets myself for awhile, just for fun & change of pace.  There is a track club that does Monday night all-comers meets for about $4 entry fee.  not sure when they start up.  I like your attitude about it, no expectations except for having fun.  don't want to make a fool out of myself but that hasn't always stopped my before.  just need to figure out how to work it into schedule & meets are  the day after usual long run.    it's also quite a drive (1 hour +), although for the most part a very beautiful drive. not sure what distances are available or what I would run. I was a decent sprinter/hurdler when running track back in school ( when distances were measured in yards not meters, ha ha).  Would expect to get my butt whupped.

I'm 57, so you & I both need to be pay extra attention to  proper warmup  to avoid any injuries.

joescott

I don't have any experience running track as an adult/master.  I did run the 400m in high school, though.  I would probably lean towards doing the 400m only because 3000m on a track sounds pretty boring to me.

Spoken like a sprinter....  <sigh>

I'd rather watch a good 2-mile race on the track any day rather than 15 heats of 100s.  Just sayin'...    I'd also rather race 3000 any day, even though I generally got good enough wheels to waste a lot of 400 people in their event, too.  3000 takes guts, long minutes of suffering, character.  If you get bored racing 3000, you are definitely not running hard enough.  400 involves maybe 20 seconds of suffering, worst case.  Boo to the 400.  Joking

But since you've decided to run the 400, go fast!  You certainly won't lose track of laps!

- Joe

We are fragile creatures on collision with our judgment day.

I'd rather watch a good 2-mile race on the track any day rather than 15 heats of 100s.  Just sayin'...    I'd also rather race 3000 any day, even though I generally got good enough wheels to waste a lot of 400 people in their event, too.  3000 takes guts, long minutes of suffering, character.  If you get bored racing 3000, you are definitely not running hard enough.  400 involves maybe 20 seconds of suffering, worst case.  Boo to the 400.  Joking

But since you've decided to run the 400, go fast!  You certainly won't lose track of laps!

My son ran in an indoor meet in February and between his 3000m and his 800m race there were only 2 events: the 60m hurdles, and the 60m sprint. DIdn't seem too bad until we realized there were about 60 heats of each, and 3 hours later.

Julia1971

Oh, good grief. How did what I wrote inspire this?

I was not trying to disparage the distance. I would probably prefer to watch the 3000m over countless 100m events, too. But, who said anything about watching? I would rather not do that number of laps around the track particularly if I was slow. I also prefer not to run double looped road races. If I've seen that part of the course, I don't want to see it again. But given the number of long runs I've done on the treadmill, I'm pretty sure I know a thing or two about suffering and character building. Oh, and the 400 wasn't really my event. I was a hurdler and a long/triple jumper. I just ran the 400 because I was the fastest one on the team at that distance. Trust me - the last thing I wasn't to do after a long day of jumping over things really fast was anchor the mile relay. Smile
                  MrH

Watching and participating at 3000m indoor are two very different things.

Many folks who are very comfortable racing 10ks on the roads find the 15 laps indoor  for 3000m mind-numbingly boring.

Work on your form and running fast and relaxed with higher turnover. You have an aerobic base. What limits many road runners when they step on the track is straining to run too hard and their form deteriorates..

The process is the goal.

Men heap together the mistakes of their lives, and create a monster they call Destiny.

joescott

Oh, good grief. How did what I wrote inspire this?

Hmmm.... I don't know.  Something like, "3000m on a track sounds pretty boring to me."  !

Merely countering with a "not to me!"  As a 2-miler in high school perhaps I heard a few too many of those kinds of comments from the sprinters.....

- Joe

We are fragile creatures on collision with our judgment day.

Biking Bad

finnegan begin again

Although hotly debated, you should aim for a negative split. For it is better to be the turtle than the hare

"... the harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph. What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives every thing its value..."  Thomas Paine Dec 23, 1776 The Crisis 

Adversity is the first path to truth. Lord Byron

"No one plans to fail…..they fail to plan" Skinny Pete

Hoodoo Guru

You can always do both.  I'll be doing a master's track meet this summer and will run the 100 and 200 for sure.  Would like to add the 400 but I will be gunning for PRs in the first two, so the 400 may be too much.  I'll run a different track series later in the summer and may do the mile, 400, 200 and 100 (although it's a three week series, so I don't have to run them all the same day.)

The tangents are moot.

camille2

I love that you're willing to do something out of your comfort range.

I've done Senior Games once- the 5k-and it was a lot of fun.  I'm thinking I might try a track race this year.  Track would be totally new to me also.

fittestover40

Hello everybody good evening

Auntie- Masters track meets are a lot of fun and don't worry about the results from last year as every year is different.  People get hurt, don't run that event again, or have moved to a different age group.  You might actually have nobody in your age group and just running against younger or older groups.

There should be a 1500m which would probably suit you a little better since you're a little worried about the 3K.  Don't worry about getting lapped it does happen but it's usually because of a younger age grouper who's good.

Joe- doesn't sound like your giving much respect to the 400m crowd.  I don't know what age group your in but the 45-49 group last year was the most competitive category of all the distances based on age grading.  It's great that your good from the 400-3K, that's a nice range ,I'm competing next Saturday at the Carolina Open in the 3K in 1500m.

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Does "fittestover40" mean that you hold some world age group records?

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.