Running 26.2 miles to be faster at 3.1 (Read 1127 times)

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

5000m runner seeks to improve 5k strength by training for and running the marathon

Makes perfect sense; that's the whole idea behind Lydiard training.  Yoko Shibui set the national 10000m record after starting marathon.  Paula Radcliffe's fastest 10000 came after she started running the marathon.  Peter Snell set the world records in 800m, 880yd, and the mile after he ran his one and the only marathon; won 2 gold medals at Tokyo after logging 1012 miles in 10 weeks. 

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

I think I've learned something from you, Nobby, over the years.  I thought it made sense as I read the article last night. Smile

Fleshman still seems to think it was a good idea.

Ritz set the AR in the 5000 after a couple years focused on the marathon including top American in the Beijing Olympics.

Runners run

an amazing likeness

So...if I'm understanding what's being said -- training to run fast for a long distance can help you run faster for a shorter distance? 

(that was very tongue-in-cheek..)

Wish it worked for me.

(that wasn't)

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

Why is it sideways?

I always found training for the 5k was best for racing the 5k, but what the hell do I know.

I always found training for the 5k was best for racing the 5k, but what the hell do I know.

Good to know. (that was my response this morning on how in the world, people can PR in a 5k off marathon training)

'cuz when I was doing my 800's this morning just a tad quicker than my 5k PR, I wondered how in the hell I could get any faster in a 5k.

Then, again if I wasn't running so many miles, I'd have more time to blast around the track trying to get faster. Maybe.

Get off my porch

It depends on when the 5k is.

Runners run

that's sort of a good point. If she felt like she needed to run more miles, and/or more longer training runs, why didn't she just do it. Skip the actual race.  I'm not sure running in the race, and experiencing the bonk, is going to help her actual 5K race. It's the training that will help her. Then again, what the hell do I know?

that's sort of a good point. If she felt like she needed to run more miles, and/or more longer training runs, why didn't she just do it. Skip the actual race.  I'm not sure running in the race, and experiencing the bonk, is going to help her actual 5K race. It's the training that will help her. Then again, what the hell do I know?

If you are going to go through sixteen weeks of marathon training you might as well put in 3 more hours and get a medal out of it.  Big grin

Whatever my lot, thou hast taught me to say, It is well, it is well with my soul.

Feeling the growl again

I'm not seeing anyone say that it is the actual act of racing the marathon that makes one better at the 5K...so yeah, it's the training.

Marathon training gets one to do things differently than many typically would if they were training for "only" 5k.

Every single one of my shorter distance PRs was set in a 3 month period around the hardest marathon training I ever did, including a 5K that was 20sec faster than any I ever ran on "5K training".  Perhaps I would have taken a few more seconds off had I layered specific 5K training on top of the marathon training, I'll never know but would not be surprised.  But it was the marathon-specific training which gave huge improvement where several years of specific efforts at the 5K had failed to yield a PR.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

MrH

Well ... she's been training for the 5k for about 15 years and was looking for a change to give her the extra edge

I think her argument was that she needs to focus on strength to improve the final part of her 5k to get on the Olympic podium, and marathon training would help with that. An healthy appearance fee at NYC may also have been the icing on the cake for the seven week experiment.

The process is the goal.

Men heap together the mistakes of their lives, and create a monster they call Destiny.

Lane

You get the best of both worlds when you train for one of those 5k marathons.

Every single one of my shorter distance PRs was set in a 3 month period around the hardest marathon training I ever did, including a 5K that was 20sec faster than any I ever ran on "5K training". 

Paula Radcliffe set PBs at 3k, 5k and 10k after moving up to marathon specific training, despite have been a world class track runner for years.

You'd can't helping thinking that the marathon training was actually better training for the shorter distances than whatever she was doing before.

drrbradford

that's sort of a good point. If she felt like she needed to run more miles, and/or more longer training runs, why didn't she just do it. Skip the actual race.  I'm not sure running in the race, and experiencing the bonk, is going to help her actual 5K race. It's the training that will help her.

+1