Metabolism or a fueling issue? (Read 95 times)

Gustav1

Fear is a Liar

I noticed something that occurred during two 2 hour runs. The first was Saturday morning, 26 degrees and feels like 18, I ate a piece of toast with honey pre run.  The second was Monday night, 21 degrees and feels like 21, I ate four Belvita biscuits with peanut butter on one.

It takes 1-2 miles for my core to warm up and 3-4 miles for my hands to warm up. During both runs at the 90 minute mark my hands got cold again. For Monday nights run I actually wore 2 pair of light gloves and by the end I could hardly turn my flashlight on and off. Is this a metabolic thing where the body is trying to keep the core warm or is it a fueling issue? Should I have had something to eat at about the 60 minute mark? In either run I felt great and could have run more - it's just my hands were going numb.

Also -  I do wear gloves that are light weight and everything is nice and warm up to the 90 minute mark. I wore heavier gloves once on a shorter run and they got all sweated up.

I'm so vegetarian I don't even eat animal crackers!

Joann Y

Could be Raynaud's phenomenon. Look it up on google. There have also been some discussions on Running Ahead you could search for.

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Are you talking Celsius or Fahrenheit?  My hands would turn to blocks of ice at 21F without gloves.  Try warm gloves.

Joann Y

Are you talking Celsius or Fahrenheit?  My hands would turn to blocks of ice at 21F without gloves.  Try warm gloves.

Yeah, and warm gloves!

Gustav1

Fear is a Liar

Yes, it is fahrenheit. I do wear gloves that are light weight and everything is nice and warm up to the 90 minute mark. I wore heavier gloves once on a shorter run and they got all sweated up.

an amazing likeness

I have the same type of thing happen to me occasionally.  I think it comes from your body overshooting on dumping off heat sweating in the cold, and then needing to recover core temp, so the hands and feet loose circulation.  For many of my longer runs in lower temps, I end up taking off gloves and hat after a few miles of warming up, then putting both back on as I get colder for the last 1/3 of the run.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

In past winters, I've experienced getting colder after an 60-90min of running, even when temperature is not significantly dropping.

I increase clothing if possible (either zip something up, or pull something out of pockets & don, or go by car and add stuff).

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

Feeling the growl again

I can't find any hard data on it, but my opinion is that when easy energy stores (sugar, glycogen) get low, the body is not as good at producing heat.  I've experienced this in 90+ min runs and especially in marathons that I have not paced well and start bonking towards the end.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Sultan of slug

I don't think this is indicative of any sort of problem. It's cold out - your hands will be cold even if your core is warm. Keeping your core warm will certainly help, but there's only so much you can do when you're wearing light gloves outside for a couple hours when it's windy and below freezing.

Either that, or you and I both suffer from the same terrible disease, and I've just assumed it's normal.

Gang Name "Pound Cake"

I can't find any hard data on it, but my opinion is that when easy energy stores (sugar, glycogen) get low, the body is not as good at producing heat.  I've experienced this in 90+ min runs and especially in marathons that I have not paced well and start bonking towards the end.

+1

This sounds accurate to me.

- Scott

2014 Goals: First Marathon - BQ2016 <3:40 (3:25:18) - 1/2M <1:45 - 5K <22:00

2014 Marathons: 05/04 Flying Pig (3:49:02) - 09/20 Air Force (BQ 3:25:18) - 11/01 Indianapolis Monumental

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

I can't find any hard data on it, but my opinion is that when easy energy stores (sugar, glycogen) get low, the body is not as good at producing heat.  ...

I tend to assume this as well.

But I figure that my treatment is to add more protection in any case, so I don't really worry about not knowing what is going on.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

Gator eye

I have the same issue. I started wearing light gloves for the first part of my runs and as soon as I feel my left hand getting chilly I have a pair of wool mittens I carry to put over the gloves for the last part of the run. This helps but it's not a fix all, my left hand still gets really cold in this 10 and below winter weather we've been dealing with this year. I use chemical hand warmers for my long runs.

Gustav1

Fear is a Liar

Gator - do you wear your watch on your left wrist? That can sometimes make your hand colder.

Best Present Ever

no advice to add, but I experience the same thing -- I start feeling chilly, warm up pretty fast and  will feel cold again after 1.5-2 hours when it's cold out.